Galway V Mayo R4 Qualifier

Started by Maroon Manc, July 01, 2019, 10:48:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: thebackbar1 on July 09, 2019, 03:38:19 PM
I don't believe it was all down to luck in regard to the injuries, some of the injuries just weren't treated right, nothing to do with luck. If Damian Comer was a Dublin player or a Galway hurler he would of got the best treatment and would of been back playing in May.

The Comer injury was 100% misdiagnosed. He should have been back playing by March or April but they thought he didn't need surgery and then it turned out he actually did need it so he only went under the knife in April when he should have had surgery in January.

Mayo4Sam14

Imo

Power
Silke OCeallaigh Kerin
McDaid   Daly   Molloy
      Flynn Conroy
Walsh Cooke Brannigan
  Burke Comer OLaoi
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

mouview

Quote from: GetItInTheMixer on July 09, 2019, 03:18:44 PM
I didn't see FOC as an U21 apparently he was very good and hugely athletic beside Tom Flynn.  I've seen enough of him since his injuries to say he is not at this point close to being an intercounty level midfield athlete and at 26, 27  i can't see that changing.

I would view the current Galway squad in  tiers

Top Level nailed on starters when fit and healthy

Shane Walsh
Damien Comer
Ian Burke

All 3 on their day with some service are All Star level players.

Very promising lads who can reach the Top level hopefully in next year or two

Molloy
Michael Daly
John Daly
McDaid
Cooke (Possibly needs to be put either in at 11 or 8 and left there)

Solid Reliable lads who won't let anybody down and are still good intercounty starter level

Tom Flynn
Bradshaw
Conroy
Declan Kyne (At corner back not full)

Need to work on some serious consistency/get back to where they were

Sean Andy
Johnny Heaney
Eoin Kerin
Rúairí Lavelle
Eamon Branigan

Jury is Out/Need to see more
Liam Silke
Martin Farragher
Robert Finnerty
Antaine O'Laoi (Needs some bulk but i like him)
Sean Kelly (Can he be more than just "legs"?)

On the bubble for next years pane due to age/lack of playing time etcl
O'Donnell
G. Armstrong
Varley
Power
Cummins
Duane
FOC

Would swap your 'Need to work on..' and 'Jury..' panels in the pecking order in fairness  :)
To be fair to FOC, he was very good v Sligo in one of his few starts in a long time, that is the standard I'm judging him by.

Do have a feeling KW will stay on, maybe out of cussedness towards his detractors.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 09, 2019, 03:46:56 PM
Imo

Power
Silke OCeallaigh Kerin
McDaid   Daly   Molloy
      Flynn Conroy
Walsh Cooke Brannigan
  Burke Comer OLaoi

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
That Full Back line has been proven to be not up to scratch, Galway will win nothing against good teams with it based on what we've seen so far. Silke looks a HB or nothing based on inter county form to date.
You're going the right direction with the HB line, nothing to say that it will work at all but worth a try.

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on July 09, 2019, 04:15:48 PM
Imo

Power
Silke OCeallaigh Kerin
McDaid   Daly   Molloy
      Flynn Conroy
Walsh Cooke Brannigan
  Burke Comer OLaoi

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
That Full Back line has been proven to be not up to scratch, Galway will win nothing against good teams with it based on what we've seen so far. Silke looks a HB or nothing based on inter county form to date.
You're going the right direction with the HB line, nothing to say that it will work at all but worth a try.

Silke is a hb imo but went for Molloy instead, need better options to step forward forst

GetItInTheMixer

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 09, 2019, 04:19:41 PM
Imo

Power
Silke OCeallaigh Kerin
McDaid   Daly   Molloy
      Flynn Conroy
Walsh Cooke Brannigan
  Burke Comer OLaoi

Silke is a hb imo but went for Molloy instead, need better options to step forward forst

We are fairly goosed at corner back.  We probably have 6-8 lads who could possibly do a good job at wing back but no cornerbacks. Very bare cupboard. By their nature county cornerbacks tend to be centre backs or wing backs for their clubs (Kerin is a 6 for Annaghdown, Kyne i assume is a 3 or 6 for Clonbur)  but not sure Silke is the answer either.

seafoid

Quote from: thebackbar1 on July 09, 2019, 03:38:19 PM
I don't believe it was all down to luck in regard to the injuries, some of the injuries just weren't treated right, nothing to do with luck. If Damian Comer was a Dublin player or a Galway hurler he would of got the best treatment and would of been back playing in May.

Shane is extremely talented, but just not consistent enough.

Tom Flynn has been in pretty good form up until he got injured prior to the Roscommon match, the guy has a lot to offer, as does Fiontán until you can name a player better than him to take his place on the panel, I would of been a lot happier on Saturday before the match if Fiontán was fit to start.

The general vibe I'm hearing is that Kevin will go. He has given it his all,  I do think its time for a change, after hearing the same voice for five years a change is needed.
It's like the Rossies last year. He did as he much as he could with them. Time to give someone else a chance

"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

DJGaliv

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 09, 2019, 03:39:05 PM

The real problem is the team have no functioning system of attack apart from everyone playing as individuals, no kick out strategy, a passive defence
where everyone retreats inside the 45 and doesn't engage the opposition, no desire to get the ball forward quickly as possible, far too much lateral slow build up, nobody showing for the ball, nobody making runs off the shoulder, etc, etc, etc. The best period Galway had against Mayo the last day is when they finally were forced to push up on them because they were so far behind. They pressured kickouts, turned over the ball higher up the field and scored 0-5 without reply. And missed a penalty on top of it. But it only happened because they were forced into it.

I agree with this. Our attacking and kickout strategy are either non-existent or too complicated that some players are using it as a useful shield to hide behind.

We have to first get this right - this calling for half of Corofin to start has to be rooted in some common sense. I don't care who plays for Galway so long as it's the best player. I think half the county is obsessed about what club the player is from.

Goalkeepers:
The issue we have had with goalkeepers is not purely Kevin Walsh's fault - it's down to none of them grabbing the jersey. Lavelle was doing alright if you ask me - not fantastic but not too badly. Power didn't convince me any more than Lavelle when he started or had started. Same with Breathnach or Ó Beoláin. Plan here should be pick one and stick with him.

Full back line
Is there more to it than just individual players being in form/out of form. Kerin is a superstar last year when we were ultra-defensive. Then this year he has less protection and he's "out of form" and needs to learn to "cop on". There are a few more variables at play than saying a lad is just out of form.

Injuries
What happened Comer needs to be looked at - how is it that lads are misdiagnosed and an ankle fracture at Christmas doesn't have a lad back playing until July? Walsh can quite rightly quote injury luck, but it shouldn't be luck. It's far more a science now - with training load monitoring etc. to be getting done that badly I'd worry. As Horan says contact injuries happen, but other injuries are the ones that you should be able to do something about

Maroon Manc

Imo

Power
Silke OCeallaigh Kerin
McDaid   Daly   Molloy
      Flynn Conroy
Walsh Cooke Brannigan
  Burke Comer OLaoi

Silke certainly isn't a corner back, he's a half back. I wouldn't write off any of Kerin, Sean Andy & Kyne. I'd like to see them under different management. I've more worries about Sean Andy than the other two, would like to see how all 3 perform under different management and a different system. Looks like to me Paddy Tally has been a big miss. I'm not sure who else is breaking through in the full back line. Looking at last year u20's side in the fullback line Mulkerrins is back u20 this year, Conor Campbell is joint captain but only the bench and Sean Fitzgerald is on the panel I think but not playing although still underage next year. Eoin McFadden was the best corner back I've seen from the previous 4 teams who've won Connacht, he starts tonight for the 20's. Mulkerrins was an exceptional minor, easily stood out as one of the best players at minor level; Interested to see how he progresses.

I just listened to Parkinson's podcast, they thought Kyne & Sean Andy played well.

cornetto

Met a few of the players on the Sunday after the defeat,drowning their sorrows ,while not saying too much you could read between the lines that since that loss in the league against Tyrone where they stuck to the system and lost and again in the connacht final going 5 pts up sticking to the system and losing meant they didnt believe in what they were trying to achieve.Did people notice Kieran's molloys gesture to the sideline after scoring his point,frustration at not being brought on earlier.
Their has been two camps operating in this panel since early in the year when the younger players were trying to get a player revolt against k.walsh but the older players wouldnt back them.personally I wouldnt blame Walsh but the
paddy  tally influence was badly missed,the swarm defence so in evidence last year was non existent anyway it is what it is hopefully move on and give it another go in 2020 when we are
European capital of culture😁😁

WhoDat

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on July 09, 2019, 03:39:05 PM
We can fiddle about with the squad all we like but the reality is without a change in management and philosophy they are going to play exactly the same way next year. In fact I reckon Walsh will double down on the defensive system after trying to be slightly more progressive this year and the team falling apart on him. I'm sure he will point at the injuries (with some justification to be fair) and convince himself that's what the real problem was this year.

The real problem is the team have no functioning system of attack apart from everyone playing as individuals, no kick out strategy, a passive defence where everyone retreats inside the 45 and doesn't engage the opposition, no desire to get the ball forward quickly as possible, far too much lateral slow build up, nobody showing for the ball, nobody making runs off the shoulder, etc, etc, etc. The best period Galway had against Mayo the last day is when they finally were forced to push up on them because they were so far behind. They pressured kickouts, turned over the ball higher up the field and scored 0-5 without reply. And missed a penalty on top of it. But it only happened because they were forced into it.

I don't see Walsh leaving at this stage unless there's some "conversation" had in the background and he's politely asked to leave.
Comer has come out in his defence and I wonder if there are others in the squad who support him also or if there's a split in the squad? If the players want him to stay, then they truly are an average group with no real ambitions of winning an All Ireland.
That all said, the problems with the squad go beyond a change in management. They won't suddenly pull their socks up and start contesting All Ireland finals if they get a new manager. Attitude adjustment needed in the squad.

Mayo4Sam14

Galway might as well pack it in for another year if Walsh is staying in charge

MayoBuck

Paddy Durcan out injured so Lee Keegan starts according to the Connacht Telegraph. Big blow, he would have been marking Stephen O'Brien.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on July 12, 2019, 02:02:56 AM
Galway might as well pack it in for another year if Walsh is staying in charge

Match today in Killarney showed just how miles off Galway were this year, we got whipped up and down the Limerick pitch by an outfit that were absolutely cleaned out in every line of the pitch today against Kerry.
Changes are required, whether we'll see them or not is another story.

galwayman

Looks like we would have taken a serious beating today for sure.
Our defence wouldn't have been able to cope with that Kerry display