Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gerry

i went for the 105 on mine for £150 quid more, i couldn't justify spending £450 more for the ultegra. my bike was £1300 and  i was able to get the £1000 for the scheme and put the rest of the money to it myself, so your not tied to the £1000 limit.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

bennydorano

I asked Ribble about doing that & they said no chance, especially as i'm public sector. 105 is all anyone needs, it doesn't get better functionally as you go up, just lighter - Di2 is meant to be dog's bollox thou.

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on April 07, 2010, 08:02:02 AM
Quote from: The Real Laoislad on April 06, 2010, 08:34:15 PM
I bought a mountain bike in Halfords for €150 and I just wear a tracksuit bottoms and a jersey with ordinary runners, you don't have to spend big at all IMHO

I started back cycling about 4 years ago, bought the €150 job from Halfords also. Didnt know would I continue to cycle so didnt spend very much. Last year I upgraded to a €300 bike from Halfords, huge difference. If you continue to like it I would consider upgrading at some point, also if you are just on the road make sure you dont get those big mountain bike tyres, there shit for the road. I'll keep an eye out for you, if you hear someone shouting your only a Laois bollix, that will be me!

Thinking of upgrading the €150 Halfords bike I bought back then.It's starting to fall apart! Probably didn't help leaving it outside and not using it for the past 18 months. Only recently took it out again but I think It's time to upgrade.
What bike did you upgrade too? Been looking in Halfords at the Carrera Hybrid bikes. The cheapest one is about €250
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

I got the Carrera Subway. I have it 5 years and it is still in great shape. I keep it in shed at night. You can get a deadly seat for the young fella and haul him around the park. You can slot it in or out very easily, my young fella loves it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

laoislad

Quote from: gerrykeegan on February 10, 2013, 09:24:21 PM
I got the Carrera Subway. I have it 5 years and it is still in great shape. I keep it in shed at night. You can get a deadly seat for the young fella and haul him around the park. You can slot it in or out very easily, my young fella loves it.

That's the one Halfords have for €250.
The bike I have the wheels are chunky on it, they are mountain bike tires,would the Carrera be better?
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

gerrykeegan

Unless you want to go off road use the normal tyres, its miles easier. I use it for in and out to work only. I remember cycling my mates with the big chunky tyres, I thought something was wrong with it.
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

bennydorano

Tour of Oman has been good to watch (pity coverage hasn't been more extensive). Froome showed he's a serious force to be reckoned with, chinning Contador today (& yesterday) and leading the Tour with the likes of Bertie, Cadel Evans, Nibali, Rodriguez all trailing in his wake. Wiggins there in a support role, acting the dick with the media as per normal. I would lay Wiggins all day in Giro betting.

Mayo4Sam

Anyone using Zipps? Looking at picking up two 2011 808s this weekend , they look the business
Excuse me for talking while you're trying to interrupt me

bennydorano

Sounds like you're at  a higher level than most who frequent this thread!  I couldnt justify the outlay on a set of Zipps for sportive riding, although i was looking at their cheaper chinese cousins version, seeing as thou i'm built like Cancellara's taller, fatter brother they'd be wasted on me i reckon.

Did my first sportive of the year today, 65m Tour of lumpy South Down.

gerry

i am hoping to buy a set of mavic ksyriums on the cycle to work scheme later this year, when i have finished payments on the bike.

55 mile is the most i have done as the weather being poor compared to last year, how you find the down tour was there many doing it.  i see the giro  is coming here next year which is great news

bennydorano

Was tough enough,few lumps, we did it as a club run, so there were 15 of us which meant we kept a good average speed & there was a bit of respite from wind & rain at front, got lovely round lunchtime & layers came off. Think there was about 60/70 done it.

gerry

riding in a group makes all the differance, just about to head out myself for a spin.  i am helping to organise a 115 mile cyle from dublin in may and we have about 70 cyclist out each sunday for the training.  thankfully the weather is a bit better this morning

ziggysego

With days getting longer, what better time to knock the dust of your bicycle and get out practicing for the first Greencastle Spring Tour on 3rd March 2013.

Greencastle Spring Tour
Testing Accessibility

Denn Forever

Far from a Velodrome was he raised I'd imagine.

Cycling: Ireland's Martyn Irvine claimed two medals in an hour — the second of them gold in the men's scratch race — at the track cycling world championships in Minsk. The 27-year-old was second in the four-kilometre individual pursuit and had time to receive his medal, change his race numbers and return to the bike before his gold success.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/other/2013/0221/1224330350076.html
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

mick999

Amazing result considering the resources available in Ireland .. I know he has spent a lot of time in Mallorca training

There'll be a big crowd at sundrive on Saturday :-)

http://www.trackcycling.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=697:sundrive-track-reopens-sat-2nd-february&catid=1:latest-news&Itemid=50

I didn't even know that we had a banked outdoor track in Dublin until recently. It's a great facility and they're very helpfull over there, even for beginners ..