Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lar Naparka

Quote from: fearsiuil on June 11, 2012, 02:08:59 PM
Getting into the cycling lark and want a bike that will be good to get about town, good for doing 20/30 miles on road and a bit through parks. Was thinking of the Kellys Axis, anyone have any suggestions ?

http://www.kennysforbikes.com/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.pbv.v1.tpl&category_id=178&product_id=642&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

Your proposed bike seems a bit pricey to me.
€545 is quite a high price to pay for a bike you plan to use for short to medium length trips.
I bought a sport utility bike, a Silver Arrow, last year and I paid €250 for it. I use it in much the same way as you intend to use the Axis and the specs are pretty much the same.
I have had a good number of bikes in my time and the present one is by far the best I've ever had.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

gerry

Quote from: bennydorano on May 12, 2012, 07:50:21 PM
Quote from: gerry on March 28, 2012, 11:35:12 PM
Quote from: Maguire01 on March 28, 2012, 10:39:21 PM
Another one here that I like the look of - https://www.facebook.com/bangorcoastalchallenge

i have signed up for this An Post Tour de Burren the week after so i give that one a miss
Are you for the Fr Ted one Gerry?  that looks nasty

just home from this and i have to say the best and hardest one i have done todate.  after this any hill around omagh will seem like a pimple. 101 miles and 7 hrs 40 mins on the saddle is not easy not to mention the wind and the rain but the views where class, the b and b  is booked for next year
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

WeeDonns

@ Gerry - you're from around Omagh?

We're (Drumragh) organising a charity cycle on the August bank holiday weekend in memory of a club man that passed away last year in aid of the High Dependency Unit in Altnagelvin & Muscular Dystrophy

More info here if you're interested;
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfCathalCycle

Got out for the first time in ages yesterday morning, just 20mile out round Beragh, nearly killed me :(

bennydorano

Good man gerry, Innishowen 100 next on my to do list. Mamore Gap is nice apparently.

gerry

Quote from: WeeDonns on June 25, 2012, 08:54:36 AM
@ Gerry - you're from around Omagh?

We're (Drumragh) organising a charity cycle on the August bank holiday weekend in memory of a club man that passed away last year in aid of the High Dependency Unit in Altnagelvin & Muscular Dystrophy

More info here if you're interested;
https://www.facebook.com/FriendsOfCathalCycle

Got out for the first time in ages yesterday morning, just 20mile out round Beragh, nearly killed me :(

i am a drumquin man and hopefuuly will do it as it seems a handy route.  keep at the cycling and you will be surprised how easy it will be for you come august

gerry

Quote from: bennydorano on June 25, 2012, 10:06:33 PM
Good man gerry, Innishowen 100 next on my to do list. Mamore Gap is nice apparently.

i have planned to do that one as well, hopefully it will be a better day

trueblue1234

Just starting to do a bit of cycling and would like to get my hands on a cheap bike to get started, (Good chance it will only be taken out every now and again.) Saw this offer and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this Bike? Obviously it won't be near the higher level stuff but for doing a few 30-40 mile cycles would it be ok?

Or would I be better going for a second hand option? buget about £200.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-pace-road-bike-933070
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Denn Forever

Quote from: trueblue1234 on July 05, 2012, 01:56:32 PM
Just starting to do a bit of cycling and would like to get my hands on a cheap bike to get started, (Good chance it will only be taken out every now and again.) Saw this offer and was wondering if anyone knows anything about this Bike? Obviously it won't be near the higher level stuff but for doing a few 30-40 mile cycles would it be ok?

Or would I be better going for a second hand option? buget about £200.

What bike you going for?
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

trueblue1234

Sorry Denn,  :o

Link now included!!

Edit: It doesn't seem to be getting great reviews so maybe I'll give it a miss!!

Anyone any good places to buy second hand bikes other than gum tree or done deal?

trueblue1234

Now just seen this option and wondering if it's any better?

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B1560.html

Also what should I be looking for in a start of bike?

gerry

try gumtree as many cyclist upgrade their bikes and off load there old ones on it

maddog

I would def be going for 2nd hand at that sort of money. I picked up a 10 year old cannondale caad3 carbon fibre off ebay with shimano ultegra throughout, mavic cosmic wheels, £330, bike new was 2k and the thing had sat in the guys shed after he did one triathlon on it. ;D. Keep the eyes peeled and i wouldnt be one bit afraid to buy something like that and just get them to courier it to you. There are also guys on ebay that trade in 2nd hand bikes i will dig out some of their user Ids and post them up later to you. They had a nice wee Carrera bike on last night for £200, sort of thing might do your job.

gerry

My first road bike was a £120 carrera of ebay. Rode it for 3 years and 2000 miles with no issues, sold it for £130 at the start of the year. I then bought a giant for £200 of a work colleague and have 2200 miles done on it since January. A lot of people buy expensive bikes just for it together dust in the shed.  As long as ur cycling that's the main thing.

maddog

Quote from: gerry on July 07, 2012, 10:34:47 AMA lot of people buy expensive bikes just for it together dust in the shed.

And them are the boys to catch Gerry. One of the bosses in work bought a 2k Giant bike to do the Birmingham to Oxford event. He did it and sold it couple of weeks later for 1k. The bike had no more than 300 mile on it with the small bit of training that he did. Then after some ribbing by another boss that cycles (on a dawes tourer) they did a 100 mile event and yer man went to the lovely new Pinarello shop in Brum and splashed about 4k out. Id say in a year there will be a bargain to be had. At the end of the day unless you are in very high end racing you dont need anything like that. A ferrari to drive to the shops sort of scenario. I wouldnt have bought what i did only that it was too good a deal, the aul Dawes hybrid 501 was doing the job rightly for what i be at.

gerry

After all my chatting about £200 bikes I think I will take the plunge and buy a cycle to work ribble bike at £1000 for the start of next year.