Cycling

Started by Jimmy, February 18, 2010, 10:20:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Orior

15 mile into my cycle this morning, heading up a hill, a quick gear change and the rear gear changer buckled and went into the spokes of the rear wheel, bringing my bike to a very sudden stop.

Has that ever happened anyone?

The bike is about 3 year old.  I could get it fixed, but would be worried about it happening again.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

illdecide

Orior no never happened b4 but sounds like u could have been milled...

Done 25 mile this morning, 1st time out on the bike this year and it wasn't too bad with the exception of a bit of lower back pain.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Maguire01

Great now to be able to get out during the week for a half-decent spin. Nice weather and an extra hour of light - no excuses!

gerry

it was dark enough at 20:15 tonight to be out on a bike,so i think i will wait a while yet to venture out.  yesterday was a nice day for a spin and i even got a bit of a tan.
God bless the hills of Dooish, be they heather-clad or lea,

Eamonnca1

Quote from: illdecide on March 18, 2012, 11:54:55 PM
Orior no never happened b4 but sounds like u could have been milled...

Done 25 mile this morning, 1st time out on the bike this year and it wasn't too bad with the exception of a bit of lower back pain.

Have you gotten somebody in a bike shop to check your riding position?  You have to take care of that, you could cripple yourself.  I once had a lower back injury that kept me off the bike for years, it's not very nice.  I found a good sports doctor that was willing to check my driving position (I had a long commute at the time) and give me some good exercises.  Back extensions and stretching all helped.  Even stretching the hamstrings can make a difference, mine were fierce tight before.  Now if I see any object a few feet off the ground my first instinct is to put my foot on it and stretch the hamstrings.  I still get a bit of lower back pain on long haul rides (which I consider anything longer than 50 miles) but it's not as bad as it used to be.

bennydorano

Wondering could somebody help plz.  I'm looking one of those profile map thingys that show hill altitudes etc...and have no idea where to go online to get one, if someone knows how to do one - any chance of doing one from Armagh to Carrick on Shannon (Via, Monaghan, Clones, Belturbet, Ballinamore).  My email is tonyarmagh@hotmail.com if anybody could do me one and forward it on.

Thanks

el_cuervo_fc

Got a nice wee 25 miles done this evening after work. That imapmyride app for the iPhone is a handy tool for keeping a record of your progress.

harpsman

QuoteHit the deck today for the first time, that would put manners on you Not my fault - 2 fellas in front came down and I went into the back of one of them, sommersaulting hoogerland style over them, coming out of the clipless pedals mid air and landing on my side, wasn't too bad at the time (felt a bit sick for a couple of minutes) hip & elbow getting worse as the hours pass.  An oul doll was right behind us in her car, the look on her face was priceless.
;D ;D

I would love to have seen that!

Maguire01

Quote from: bennydorano on March 27, 2012, 08:50:39 PM
Wondering could somebody help plz.  I'm looking one of those profile map thingys that show hill altitudes etc...and have no idea where to go online to get one, if someone knows how to do one - any chance of doing one from Armagh to Carrick on Shannon (Via, Monaghan, Clones, Belturbet, Ballinamore).  My email is tonyarmagh@hotmail.com if anybody could do me one and forward it on.

Thanks
www.mapmyride.com

Maguire01

Quote from: gerry on March 26, 2012, 10:20:00 PM
it was dark enough at 20:15 tonight to be out on a bike,so i think i will wait a while yet to venture out.  yesterday was a nice day for a spin and i even got a bit of a tan.
There's nearly 2 hours of light after work - plenty of time for 30-40km!

Maguire01

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on March 27, 2012, 09:38:15 PM
Got a nice wee 25 miles done this evening after work. That imapmyride app for the iPhone is a handy tool for keeping a record of your progress.
Measure in kms - sounds better! I had been using endomondo on the iPhone but some of its data is crap (such as the amount of calories you're supposedly burning), and i'm not convinced it's that accurate. I got a computer for the bike a few weeks ago and think it's great - good for motivating you to keep your speed up or maintain a decent average speed. I log a route on mapmyride in the house if I want to get a better idea of what the climbs are like.

gerry

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 27, 2012, 10:58:38 PM
Quote from: gerry on March 26, 2012, 10:20:00 PM
There's nearly 2 hours of light after work - plenty of time for 30-40km!

by the time i finish work at 6 and get sorted its tight enough for time.  i will keep at the spinning and gym for another few weeks  yet

el_cuervo_fc

Has anyone here ever taken part in the "Lap the Lough" event. I'm thinking of signing up to it this year.

How well is it run etc?

maddog

Quote from: Maguire01 on March 27, 2012, 10:55:39 PM
Quote from: bennydorano on March 27, 2012, 08:50:39 PM

Thanks
www.mapmyride.com

This one is ok too
http://www.bikehike.co.uk

gerry

Quote from: el_cuervo_fc on March 28, 2012, 07:54:38 AM
Has anyone here ever taken part in the "Lap the Lough" event. I'm thinking of signing up to it this year.

How well is it run etc?

i done it last year and  the third year they ran it.  the course itself is flat except for one wee hill but can be windy due to no shelter. 

the first year i done it my mates brakes failed and he went straight at a junction and ended in the hedge with a recked bike.  he finally got back to the start in the back of a van in the dark with other broken bikes and cylist, every time they went round a corner he got hit with a bike. by the way a cylist took a heart attach and died on the course that year.

last year they ran out of food at the feeding stations,which pissed alot of people off.  seeing that i ride alot on my own and bring my own food with me, so thats not an issue.

alot of novice riders seem to do this which i guess accounts for alot of the issues.  hopefully i will do it again this year as i enjoy cycling around new roads.

this looks to be a nice ride Tour of the Orchard County, i hope to do this after we beat armagh on the 10th june

check out the lough forum for issues and details on the lap lap the lough