Kilkenny (the place, not the team)

Started by tyroneman, July 16, 2014, 06:49:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Boycey

Quote from: FermGael on May 16, 2017, 03:22:28 PM
Anywhere that would be showing the Fermanagh v Monaghan match in Saturday evening in Kilkenny?

http://www.rafterdempseys.ie/

The man that owns this place has Monaghan connections.... We wandered into it by accident on a stag last year and spent the day there including watching a national league football game. Can't remember who was playing, it was hazy at that stage

laoislad

Rafters is grand but the place will be empty. I used to go every Saturday to watch Premier League games that he was getting in from some Norwegian channel at the time. The place would be packed to the rafters(see what I did there  ;D)
I was in there recently on a Saturday evening and the place was empty. I know from others that he isn't doing anything like the trade he used too.
If you just want a quiet pint to watch the match though I'm sure it be fine.
Any pub in the city will be showing though it I'd imagine.
Lanigans would be a decent spot also. Probably be more of a crowd there also.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Estimator

Quote from: screenexile on May 16, 2017, 03:50:44 PM
Had my stag there and it was a great spot but couldn't really tell you much more than above.

Spent Saturday in Lanigans which was great craic and a decent bar for watching sport in although I made a complete show of myself trying to drink that yard of ale :(

Yes you did. Yes you did.
Ulster League Champions 2009

Avondhu star

Quote from: Orior on July 16, 2014, 09:27:38 PM
During the "research my family tree" period of my life, I once phoned up a woman in Kilkenny to clarify if she was a relation.

"No, and never phone here again" says she.

"Okay, thanks anyway" says me.

And I phoned her again  about 5 times over the next couple of days just to wind her up, the oul hag.

That's no way to speak about your Ma
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you

seafoid

Langtons is where Henry Shefflin met his missus. Her father was delighted that he was a hurler
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

laoislad

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2017, 06:04:02 PM
Langtons is where Henry Shefflin met his missus. Her father was delighted that he was a hurler
Langtons is where I met my missus. Her father was delighted I wasn't a hurler.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Great spot and will get back to it again, as said so many different wee pubs but I did find that it closed early enough 1am bars closed out on your ear! But hotel let us drink through to the wee hours before we headed to the first round of the hurling, Cats v Waterford game
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

MoChara

Quote from: seafoid on May 16, 2017, 06:04:02 PM

I read his autobiography her father was very worried that she'd prove a distraction for him and his role on the county team  ;D

Tony Baloney

Any recommendations for hotel accommodation in Kilkenny? Small group of lads so nothing fancy required but handy for the pubs etc.

Rois

I'm leading the charge to KK for my sister's hen party in two weeks time...yikes...

We're staying in the Hibernian - they're doing a rate of €125 per head including dinner.  It is handy to pubs. 

fearsiuil

Stayed in Kilkenny tourist hostel early December, right in middle of town and we took 2 x 8 person rooms (4 bunks). All clean and handy, loads of breakfast options within few minutes walk.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on January 18, 2019, 01:49:22 PM
Any recommendations for hotel accommodation in Kilkenny? Small group of lads so nothing fancy required but handy for the pubs etc.

We stayed in RafterDempseys that I linked at the top of the page (no I'm not on commission) on a stag last summer. Basic enough, but grand for a group of lads... €90 for two nights b&b they charge. Porter on duty all night for a late/early drink  ;). A couple of mins walk to all the decent pubs..

Tony Baloney

Looking for recommendations for daytime pints on the weekend.  I'm sure Lanigans will be nailed on for later in the evening.

Boycey

Quote from: Tony Baloney on April 17, 2019, 04:42:19 PM
Looking for recommendations for daytime pints on the weekend.  I'm sure Lanigans will be nailed on for later in the evening.

The Field http://www.thefieldkilkenny.com/, fantastic array of memorabilia and photos on show, bookies straight across the road whats not to like

http://www.kytelersinn.com/ great beer garden area if the weathers good for watching any footie on. They did get very arsey with all the groups that were in it the day I was there. At 5PM ish they basically said they were serving no more groups this was after taking their money all afternoon and none of them seems rowdy to me

The Playwright  - we went in for a cure on Sat morning, looks like a small local but turned into an Aladdins Cave of craic, was buzzing at Noon... No webpage

Tony Baloney

Cheers Boycey. Some good options there. There seem to be plenty of options around the bridge. Hoping to be there for noon next Sat so should be enough time to fit in a wee tour.