Clare hurlers were allegedly using drugs before Davy arrived.

Started by orangeman, March 05, 2014, 12:43:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

orangeman

This probably comes as a shock to many but according to Davy some Clare players were abusing alcohol and drugs before he arrived to manage the team.

"We brought in a code of discipline. From the mid-2000s, in Clare, my feeling was that Clare was a social team. I know some of them were even taking harder stuff than drink. I couldn't understand this. To me I play to win, and if you are doing stuff like that, you're wasting your time."

He said he and the team rooted out the problem during a three-hour meeting after he became manager.

"I questioned them and I said do we really need alcohol and do you need to take substances that will make you feel better. We teased it out, we spent three hours out in Bunratty teasing it out. We decided we were going to stand up and draw a line under it and say 'No'. We decided we were going to come to training and enjoy ourselves and were going to communicate with each other. We want to enjoy what we do."

rrhf

bennydorano

Hereiam

Is there any type of drug screening taking place at the minute within the GAA. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if there are lads out there taking some sort of performance enhancing drugs.

Mario

Quote from: Hereiam on March 05, 2014, 09:39:30 AM
Is there any type of drug screening taking place at the minute within the GAA. I wouldn't be one bit surprised if there are lads out there taking some sort of performance enhancing drugs.
Yes as far as I know they get tested after games and testers can turn up at training grounds. I heard a story a few years ago of one county player having to make a swift exit from the training field through some back fields, after enjoying 'recreational' drugs the previous weekend.

Bingo

I'd say there is a few Clare hurlers a bit pissed off with Davys comments.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Bingo on March 05, 2014, 09:46:08 AM
I'd say there is a few Clare hurlers a bit pissed off with Davys comments.

Nice loyalty there from Davy. He's really an enigma. So impressive in some senses, and such a gobdaw in others. Hard to argue with the results he's had, and you have to admire his drive and absolute balls out determination not to be held down. But his whole 'me versus the world' act does get old sometimes, and he does and says some mental stuff as well. This is typical of him. A really heartfelt speech, and an admirable message to youngsters, delivered in such a way that people are now talking about which young Clare lads were doing drugs before he came along.

Lone Shark

Agree with AZ's sentiments exactly. My instant reaction was to wonder who was on the panel in 2011 and since got cut - which immediately once it crossed my mind, I realised was hugely unfair, since lads leave county panels all the time for a variety of reasons.

Stall the Bailer

I take a different view on it.
If true and they were on drugs, they were wasting their time and not achieving to their best.
Off the drugs they won Liam. Not a bad message to get out there.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Stall the Bailer on March 05, 2014, 09:56:21 AM
I take a different view on it.
If true and they were on drugs, they were wasting their time and not achieving to their best.
Off the drugs they won Liam. Not a bad message to get out there.

It's a great message. That's what I mean. He had a powerful message, but you have to believe he didn't ask the Clare lads would they mind if he shared it. Maybe he did and I'm doing him a disservice, but I'd have thought Davy would be one for 'Circle of Trust' type mantras.

Stall the Bailer

That's true AZ and it could undermine him a bit in the changing room.
However if this is a big issue in the GAA nationwide??? It may be for the greater good if it makes players think twice about dabbling in drugs.

deiseach

His comments about bullying were really moving. I hope that's what dominates the discussion. I doubt it though.

Bingo

Quote from: deiseach on March 05, 2014, 10:04:27 AM
His comments about bullying were really moving. I hope that's what dominates the discussion. I doubt it though.

Thats very true, the headlines seem to be focused on the other. Where he was giving the talk the use of drink and other substances had alot of merit and should be put out there but you can't help feel that the message will be lost.

Rossfan

Typical hurling dragging down our great association again. :-[
You wouldn't get footballers going on like that.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Tubberman

The media are salivating over his comments and completely taking them out of context, but Davy should have enough cop-on to know that's what would happen. As part of a talk to students about drink, drugs, bullying and how sport can help to overcome those issues, he said "some lads were on harder stuff than drink".
Now there are headlines about a "drug problem" in Clare that Davy had to root out. That's a very different thing and very unfair on the Clare hurlers.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."