GAA must 'reach out' to unionism

Started by Maguire01, April 01, 2008, 05:16:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

winsamsoon

Yes Juice i acknowledge what you are saying but what i am saying is that the name must always be distinguished with GAA circles . With all due respect there would be no people from Coventry( apart from the people playing football ot other sports) that would warrant naming a club or anything else after. This is slightly different anyway from the debate at hand. Unfortunetly the dreaded politics is trying to muscle in on it over here.
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

Zapatista

Quote from: thejuice on April 25, 2008, 11:24:49 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2008, 07:49:38 AM
Rodger Casement was also a huge Irish Language enthusiast. He was one of the founders of the gealic league which had a top priority of promoting the Irish Language. He did more for the Irish Language in his short life than the consecutive Irish Governments since. His devotion to the language was only matched by the likes of PH Pearse. Juice, If you look at the life of Rodger Casement you might not be so quick to change the name as he was a remarkable man. I am not atacking you here as I know very little about St Dympna who my club is named after. I must find out more about her actually.

I never said he was a bad person nor would I have a problem with his involvement in the war of independence. Its not his character or history I or anyone has a problem with its his relevence to Coventry, (the papers didnt complain they were more curious). I just find it strange naming teams after people which have very little if nothing in common with their location, therefore have little for locals to indentify with. Now had Roger Casement been born in Coventry, or lived here or had some attachment to the area it would make sense. Thats all I'm getting at.

He might have a connection though. I agree if there is no connection, but then perhaps there is another valid reason which might be worth finding out. If you say there is no valid/worthwhile reason then thats fine with me and would have no problem with a name change.
He was dead before the War of Independence started.

thejuice

Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2008, 11:35:22 AM
Quote from: thejuice on April 25, 2008, 11:24:49 AM
Quote from: Zapatista on April 25, 2008, 07:49:38 AM
Rodger Casement was also a huge Irish Language enthusiast. He was one of the founders of the gealic league which had a top priority of promoting the Irish Language. He did more for the Irish Language in his short life than the consecutive Irish Governments since. His devotion to the language was only matched by the likes of PH Pearse. Juice, If you look at the life of Rodger Casement you might not be so quick to change the name as he was a remarkable man. I am not atacking you here as I know very little about St Dympna who my club is named after. I must find out more about her actually.

I never said he was a bad person nor would I have a problem with his involvement in the war of independence. Its not his character or history I or anyone has a problem with its his relevence to Coventry, (the papers didnt complain they were more curious). I just find it strange naming teams after people which have very little if nothing in common with their location, therefore have little for locals to indentify with. Now had Roger Casement been born in Coventry, or lived here or had some attachment to the area it would make sense. Thats all I'm getting at.

He might have a connection though. I agree if there is no connection, but then perhaps there is another valid reason which might be worth finding out. If you say there is no valid/worthwhile reason then thats fine with me and would have no problem with a name change.
He was dead before the War of Independence started.

Well officialy started anyway,

but anyway chances are changing the names wont matter a shite really over here, still worth arguement (like how'd you like you eggs done).

As nally Stand was saying about my free-stater attitude, I dont think that changing a clubs name removes anyone from the history books, the fighting still happened, people who fought and died wont dissappear from our heritage, and I have always had a keen interest in Irish history but a keener interest in our future and just thought perhaps sacrificing a few club names, for the sake of social inclusion was a worthy and noble cause but if I'm wrong, I'm wrong. As you know theres 2 approaches to social tolerance, remove whats considered offensive or try and get the other side to tolerate they may find offensive. Its your choice.

Anyway, you never figured out why I really dont like the name Roger Casement, its cos he was queer.....................and I hate queers ;) :P ;) :P ;) :P ;) :P
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Maguire01

Yeah, but back to St Dympna.  Deeply offensive to be namming a club after her.  Did Dympna ever play the Gaaaaaaaaaaah? I'm tellin' ya, it's just because she was a Catholic.
:P

Zapatista

Are you sure he was Gay? I didn't know that :o Not that it matters.

Aparrently Dympna didn't like little puppys :-[ but it was her dislike for fish and chips served in a newspaper and all things British which made the club choose her as their saint.

orangeman

Uladh

Didn't know the name of dromintee's pitch so did a bit of enquiring last night. apparently "Lochrie/Campbell Memorial Park" is a very touchy subject in that part of the world and not a consensus name.

orangeman

Quote from: Uladh on April 26, 2008, 12:53:30 PM

Didn't know the name of dromintee's pitch so did a bit of enquiring last night. apparently "Lochrie/Campbell Memorial Park" is a very touchy subject in that part of the world and not a consensus name.

Sammy will ove to hear that !

Zapatista

Quote from: orangeman on April 26, 2008, 01:02:18 PM
Quote from: Uladh on April 26, 2008, 12:53:30 PM

Sammy will ove to hear that !

I wouldn't be so sure OM. In the knowledge that not all GAA folk are sectarian and bigoted he could cease to exist as his purpose would no longer exist. I wonder will it be like an implosion or a simple fade out?

Truth hurts

What is peoples views on the commemoration in Clonoe?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Truth hurts on February 22, 2022, 02:51:33 PM

Up to the club but should exclude them from Stormont funding.

RedHand88

Why give unionism a stick to beat you with?

tiempo

Surely GPA Tom and Conor can deal with this (for the right price), there isn't a conundrum they cant solve

general_lee

I know the ones behind the shoot to kill memorial in Craigavon asked it to be on the grounds of Éire Óg but the club decided not to allow it (the shooting happened just up the road) however I'm not sure any of the volunteers were actually members of the club. Part of me supports Clonoe and part of me doesn't, they could have at least proof read itX

Taylor

Quote from: RedHand88 on February 22, 2022, 02:59:48 PM

Why give unionism a stick to beat you with?

This is it.
One step forward then two steps back