Tyrone Club Football and Hurling

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, November 09, 2006, 10:54:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In hiding

what about this...
we currently play 15 league games, 10 of which are player with county players, 5 without.
In a league of 12 teams just play 11 league games, all of those with county players. Play some other kind of league competition on days which normally would be set aside for starred games. This would do away with the need for league playoffs which were introduced to encourage teams to play starred games without their county men

Tyrone Gaa

Quote from: In hiding on November 20, 2017, 08:07:43 PM
what about this...
we currently play 15 league games, 10 of which are player with county players, 5 without.
In a league of 12 teams just play 11 league games, all of those with county players. Play some other kind of league competition on days which normally would be set aside for starred games. This would do away with the need for league playoffs which were introduced to encourage teams to play starred games without their county men

Only thing here would be the weeks of inactivity if Tyrone were to get on a run, it would be hard to see Mickey looking his main men playing in a club game that with less games become more critical. It's not an easy job to please everyone. Changes had been proposed and rejected by clubs to allow things remain as they are. I thought this year went well.
Living the dream!!!

square_ball

It would definitely make sense alright. To have 2 players hold up football for a couple of hundred players is madness. Division 3 should run smooth enough next year with no Owen Roes there.

stillsenior

If there are no Starred games in Div3 next year does that mean there will be no league play offs required in Div 3 for promotion apart from the highest placed team not to win league or championship playing the relegation play off winners from Div 2 for a place in Div 2

longballin

Quote from: Bendyerback on November 23, 2017, 02:06:18 PM
Security Forces and the GAA?

In recent times I have seen a lot of PR in relation to the PSNI and the Ulster Council. I see men like Ciaran McLaughlin retweeting British security forces recruitment advertisements and posing for photos with senior members of the PSNI.
I know some local clubs in my own area have been toying with the idea of introducing the British Security Forces into club events and in some cases is has been met with opposition. Is the timing right or is it a bit premature.
How do the grass roots members feel? I know in clubs like Derrytresk and Moortown there has been tension on the subject when club proposed or run events facilitated by the Security Forces,  and just yesterday I was chatting to a very disgruntled Ardboe man who wasn't happy that his club Chairman Paddy O'Neill was pictured with a member of the security forces in a PSNI PR exercise.
Is it acceptable? Or is it not?

I know McLaughlin and Harte and Dooher carried Ronan Kerr's coffin but I've never seen McLaughin pose with senior PSNI members or retweet British security forces recruitment adverts.

vallankumous

Quote from: Bendyerback on November 23, 2017, 02:06:18 PM
Security Forces and the GAA?

In recent times I have seen a lot of PR in relation to the PSNI and the Ulster Council. I see men like Ciaran McLaughlin retweeting British security forces recruitment advertisements and posing for photos with senior members of the PSNI.
I know some local clubs in my own area have been toying with the idea of introducing the British Security Forces into club events and in some cases is has been met with opposition. Is the timing right or is it a bit premature.
How do the grass roots members feel? I know in clubs like Derrytresk and Moortown there has been tension on the subject when club proposed or run events facilitated by the Security Forces,  and just yesterday I was chatting to a very disgruntled Ardboe man who wasn't happy that his club Chairman Paddy O'Neill was pictured with a member of the security forces in a PSNI PR exercise.
Is it acceptable? Or is it not?

I think the timing is right but I know it will be difficult for many. It will be baby steps and might do some short term damage. I suppose it's argued for as a long term gain. I would begrudgingly accept it in a limited form but haven't really decided how limited, it hasn't came up in my club. I like the idea of volunteers doing much of the organizing outside grounds too and would not like to see it replaced like the Gardai do in places. Though a casual PSNI presence might be a good introduction.

The truth is, it's happening as you say. It will have positives. I watched McKaigue interview with Off the Ball and they tinkered around this. That's just another indication that it's real and he stressed Slaughtneil were an open and welcoming club and community . I thought it was a very good interview.

Bendyerback

I don't think it would be accepted in my own club. We have lost several member of our club to the security forces and we hold those members in high esteem. There is still a rawness there and many of our current members have lost family at the hands of the security forces.
I don't think it would go down well to even suggest it.

Tyrone Gaa

Good look to the 1st Galbally club member to join the ranks of the PSNI. My thoughts would be the time isn't right in republican strongholds probably add Carrickmore into the mix as well. Some clubs in Tyrone would be ready to embrace it but I feel many wouldn't. Interested if any Galbally or Carrickmore posters feel I'm wrong????
Living the dream!!!

vallankumous

Sadly Brolly has twisted this debate. I doubt if the GAA or and Club would approve or disapprove either way of members joining the PSNI. That's not the question nor is it the intention of anyone in a GAA hat. That's a question for the public.
The question here is about building a relationship with the PSNI as two community organisations. The same as relationships are built with others such as County Councils, schools and other sports clubs.

Bendyerback

Describing the British Security forces as a community organisation? I'm not so sure myself.
I don't think Galbally would welcome the security forces. Although I would have thought the same about Ardboe and Moortown.
I believe the security forces are using the community issue to their advantage to create this sense of normality.
The same way as they use it in schools.
Some schools bring in the PSNI for various talks. In some cases I know parents who have expressed concern and others who have kept their children at home on the said days.

vallankumous

Quote from: Bendyerback on November 23, 2017, 03:18:04 PM
Describing the British Security forces as a community organisation? I'm not so sure myself.
I don't think Galbally would welcome the security forces. Although I would have thought the same about Ardboe and Moortown.
I believe the security forces are using the community issue to their advantage to create this sense of normality.
The same way as they use it in schools.
Some schools bring in the PSNI for various talks. In some cases I know parents who have expressed concern and others who have kept their children at home on the said days.

Lookit, nobody is talking about M15 or the SAS here.

Yes, it is PR for the PSNI.
You are right and i accept and understand the opposition. However, the people of Galbally will phone the PSNI if their club house is burnt down by idiots.

Archie53

As matter of interest on this forum who would be in favour of accepting psni within the ranks of tyrone gaa. For me not a chance while they are still working for the crown. That's just my feelings.

driveherin

Bendyerback

Quote from: driveherin on November 23, 2017, 04:11:44 PM
WISE UP YOU CLOWNS!!

Opinion or debate not allowed?
Give us your opinion.

Bendyerback

Quote from: Archie53 on November 23, 2017, 04:05:42 PM
As matter of interest on this forum who would be in favour of accepting psni within the ranks of tyrone gaa. For me not a chance while they are still working for the crown. That's just my feelings.

Personally, I don't think the timing is right. As you say, while they still work for the crown they shouldn't be accepted.
The ethos of the GAA has been abandoned and the promise of funding seems to be the  selling point.
Sometimes I don't understand the logic of certain clubs and individuals. Ardboe being a prime example. They scrapped a crest because it contained our national flag, yet it's ok for the chairman to pose with a member of the British Security Forces.
What's the logic there? If I was a member of that club I would be more upset about the chairman than I would our national flag.