Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quarterback

Baby Jesus part of the setup - I cant contain my excitement - Finally a player that will excite!!

Therealdonald

Quote from: Quarterback on December 13, 2018, 04:53:03 PM
Baby Jesus part of the setup - I cant contain my excitement - Finally a player that will excite!!

Is it true? How will he excite when we have no-one up supporting him. Still worry about his stature.

Localexpert

Quote from: Therealdonald on December 13, 2018, 05:16:36 PM

Is it true? How will he excite when we have no-one up supporting him. Still worry about his stature.

Just saw this on gaelic life.  He may become the greatest player that ever lived but how can you justify calling in a lad who only came on as a sub in the 2nd half against us in the senior championship.  Not there on merit and his club and second name obviously has a big part in the call up.  Another example of club loyalty from the leader to go with another errigal player who consistently played in recent years when there were numerous better options in this part of the county.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Localexpert on December 15, 2018, 04:51:32 PM
Quote from: Therealdonald on December 13, 2018, 05:16:36 PM

Just saw this on gaelic life.  He may become the greatest player that ever lived but how can you justify calling in a lad who only came on as a sub in the 2nd half against us in the senior championship.  Not there on merit and his club and second name obviously has a big part in the call up.  Another example of club loyalty from the leader to go with another errigal player who consistently played in recent years when there were numerous better options in this part of the county.

Strangely....I agree with some of this. He looked a real livewire v Coalisland in the Championship, but again - how much of this was a surprise element. I personally don't think he's warranted a call up myself, then again I'm on an internet message board - not in the selection process.

I'd argue here that the lads development will actually suffer going forward now - he'll surely not play any county football, will he be kept from playing for Errigal? Foresee problems ahead if there is some kind of exception made. Harte would be just that single minded to maybe attempt it too.

Maybe this call up is just for the McKenna Cup though and I could be overreacting. We'll need to see.

southtyronegael

really disappointed to hear young canavan has joined the panel. whats the rush? in 2 years time harte will be gone and that's the time for the new manager to bring this lad in as a 20 yr old ready for action. harte just doesn't know what to do with these talented youngsters. young canavan could end up the latest potential star that never made it.

SkillfulBill

Quote from: southtyronegael on December 15, 2018, 07:14:56 PM
really disappointed to hear young canavan has joined the panel. whats the rush? in 2 years time harte will be gone and that's the time for the new manager to bring this lad in as a 20 yr old ready for action. harte just doesn't know what to do with these talented youngsters. young canavan could end up the latest potential star that never made it.

Starting to wonder if I am not a parody of STG but I have got to agree young Canavan was a super youth player. But putting him straight in is not advisable give him a year or two to mature.

Redhand Santa

Some of you lads are awfully negative. Let's see how it goes and how he fits in. He looks like an excellent young player and could well make the step up quickly. He looked good in the senior games he did play and will hopefully improve all the time. Plenty of the top young players over the years went straight into county football with little club experience.

I'm sure he'll get exposure to the squad but be managed appropriately. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on. If they don't see him as being ready he can drop down to u20 level come championship as far as I'm aware.

Localexpert

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 15, 2018, 08:34:39 PM
Some of you lads are awfully negative. Let's see how it goes and how he fits in. He looks like an excellent young player and could well make the step up quickly. He looked good in the senior games he did play and will hopefully improve all the time. Plenty of the top young players over the years went straight into county football with little club experience.

I'm sure he'll get exposure to the squad but be managed appropriately. Looking forward to seeing how he gets on. If they don't see him as being ready he can drop down to u20 level come championship as far as I'm aware.

I'm only pointing out how he isn't there on merit.  No question a good maybe even great youth player but that's exactly it just a youth player at this stage with very little senior club championship exposure and he's being called into a top 4 county setup in Ireland.  The amount of players who had already proven themselves from east Tyrone who never got a look in is crazy whereas the leader gave chance after chance to his own club men.  No better example than our own skipper this year compared to an errigal/Tyrone corner back.... difference of night and day when comparing footballing ability .... one played for Tyrone 50+ times the other just a handful of times.  What a waste!

Club boi

Your captain this year is an exceptional talent who never really got a good run of games. Fully agree with you on this 1 versus a couple of Errigal players

Gaafan2

Quote from: Club boi on December 16, 2018, 11:34:12 PM
Your captain this year is an exceptional talent who never really got a good run of games. Fully agree with you on this 1 versus a couple of Errigal players

Have to agree, it's a disgrace that he was never given a chance with Tyrone. One of the best club players in the county.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Localexpert on December 16, 2018, 02:51:18 PM

I'm only pointing out how he isn't there on merit.  No question a good maybe even great youth player but that's exactly it just a youth player at this stage with very little senior club championship exposure and he's being called into a top 4 county setup in Ireland.  The amount of players who had already proven themselves from east Tyrone who never got a look in is crazy whereas the leader gave chance after chance to his own club men.  No better example than our own skipper this year compared to an errigal/Tyrone corner back.... difference of night and day when comparing footballing ability .... one played for Tyrone 50+ times the other just a handful of times.  What a waste!

Would loved to have seen Mackers given a real chance!! A neighbour of yours aswel I always wished was given a run out in his prime and never got a run out was Colly Doris, the man was untouchable at one stage!! So many top talents in the County where ignored!
Eoin McCusker another, prob the best club forward for many years also! Going back to the early 2000's you also had Ciaran McAleer of Carmen, TTM all star year after year, did he ever even make a McKenna cup panel?

Redhand Santa

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on December 17, 2018, 07:57:57 AM

Would loved to have seen Mackers given a real chance!! A neighbour of yours aswel I always wished was given a run out in his prime and never got a run out was Colly Doris, the man was untouchable at one stage!! So many top talents in the County where ignored!
Eoin McCusker another, prob the best club forward for many years also! Going back to the early 2000's you also had Ciaran McAleer of Carmen, TTM all star year after year, did he ever even make a McKenna cup panel?

Eoin McCusker was called into the Tyrone panel but pulled out and said he couldn't give the commitment to county football. People from Clonoe would tell you Colly Dorris doesn't support Tyrone and had no interest in playing for them. You will get players not wanting to play in every county. Not much Harte can do about it.

Redhand Santa

You have to judge a player on whether you feel they can make it at county level as opposed to the number of years they have played club championship football. I'm sure there was players who have did well in the Kerry club championship for years that by your logic should have been called up for Kerry ahead of Clifford. Mickey Harte shouldn't have called up Sean Cavanagh coming out of minor football as their was more experienced players that had played in the senior championship ahead of him. Peter Canavan was another one called in young that had little or no club championship experience at that age. Time will tell whether he is there on merit but he is a very gifted young player and I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential.

This east Tyrone thing is a load of nonsense. McNally did get called into the Tyrone panel and got game time including championship football.  He struggled to make the half back line at the time which included players that had won multiple All Irelands. In the games he did play I don't remember him standing out. Two of the players that were ahead of him came from Carrickmore (Errigals biggest rival) and the Moy an east Tyrone club so your anti errigal agenda doesn't stack up. He has been one of the best half backs over the last ten years in club football and if had stuck at it at county level could well have pushed on to make it. I can't remember if he walked away or was dropped and would be surprised if he wasn't asked back since. If he walked away or didn't want to come back then your point is even more redundant.

It's strange given Harte's so called anti east tyrone bias that there was an Edendork man, 2 Coalisland men, 2 Clonoe men and 2 Moy men that played in last years final.

Localexpert

Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2018, 08:25:57 AM

You have to judge a player on whether you feel they can make it at county level as opposed to the number of years they have played club championship football. I'm sure there was players who have did well in the Kerry club championship for years that by your logic should have been called up for Kerry ahead of Clifford. Mickey Harte shouldn't have called up Sean Cavanagh coming out of minor football as their was more experienced players that had played in the senior championship ahead of him. Peter Canavan was another one called in young that had little or no club championship experience at that age. Time will tell whether he is there on merit but he is a very gifted young player and I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential.

This east Tyrone thing is a load of nonsense. McNally did get called into the Tyrone panel and got game time including championship football.  He struggled to make the half back line at the time which included players that had won multiple All Irelands. In the games he did play I don't remember him standing out. Two of the players that were ahead of him came from Carrickmore (Errigals biggest rival) and the Moy an east Tyrone club so your anti errigal agenda doesn't stack up. He has been one of the best half backs over the last ten years in club football and if had stuck at it at county level could well have pushed on to make it. I can't remember if he walked away or was dropped and would be surprised if he wasn't asked back since. If he walked away or didn't want to come back then your point is even more redundant.

It's strange given Harte's so called anti east tyrone bias that there was an Edendork man, 2 Coalisland men, 2 Clonoe men and 2 Moy men that played in last years final.

I didn't claim he was anti anybody.  I feel some are afforded more opportunity than others to find their feet and confidence at that level.  I am lead to believe mackers was offered to go to the trials this year (which is complete nonsense surely his performances in the championship this year are a better indicator of his ability than a stupid trial match) which he rightly declined!

He is also similar age to aidan mcrory so your comment on not making the team because of the number of players ahead of him in the half back line is null and void as he was, is and always will be twice the footballer, man marker, ball carrier, ball kicker whatever barometer you want to use to compare them!

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Localexpert on December 17, 2018, 01:47:17 PM
Quote from: Redhand Santa on December 17, 2018, 08:25:57 AM

I didn't claim he was anti anybody.  I feel some are afforded more opportunity than others to find their feet and confidence at that level.  I am lead to believe mackers was offered to go to the trials this year (which is complete nonsense surely his performances in the championship this year are a better indicator of his ability than a stupid trial match) which he rightly declined!

He is also similar age to aidan mcrory so your comment on not making the team because of the number of players ahead of him in the half back line is null and void as he was, is and always will be twice the footballer, man marker, ball carrier, ball kicker whatever barometer you want to use to compare them!

Harte certainly liked McRory more than many other people. I wouldn't have picked him a lot of the times he did get picked but he was someone who always stuck to the task given to him. When McNally was trying to break into the team he was considered more an attacking half back and for one reason or another didn't take the opportunities he got. But the half back line was very strong at that time so his games were limited.

I do think he should have got more game time over the years but I have no idea whether he left the panel of his own accord and whether he declined to come back like this year. If he had any interest in playing for Tyrone I suspect he would have gone to the trial as everyone else did including players from last year who were asked to play. I don't think he is above the trials process.

But the point I was disputing was Harte not picking players because they are east Tyrone or what club they come from as opposed to being critical of McNally who has every right not to play if he doesn't want to.