U20 All Ireland football championship 2021

Started by Blowitupref, February 03, 2020, 04:03:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blowitupref

A bit daft the U20 Final this weekend can't be played. Some of those same players are allowed play for Senior Inter County team but not U20?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Blowitupref

From

GAA. Ie

Following clarification from the Department of Sport around the staging of inter-county fixtures, the GAA can confirm that as of midnight this evening, all minor and U20 inter-county competitions are paused until further notice.

Accordingly, Saturday's scheduled EirGrid GAA U20 football final meeting of Dublin and Galway will not take place.

This evening's Bord Gáis Energy Leinster U20 hurling fixtures will proceed.

Additionally, the GAA's CCCC has been informed that Longford will not be fulfilling their Allianz Football League fixture with Cork this weekend.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Blowitupref on October 21, 2020, 12:42:34 PM
A bit daft the U20 Final this weekend can't be play. Some of those same players are allowed play for Senior Inter County team but not U20?
Worse, if any of them play Senior championship in the next few weeks they won't be eligible to play the final if it's rescheduled for say December, daft.

thewobbler

The u20 and u17 championships for 2020 should have been killed completely in April. There is simply no need to gather youngsters up from all around a county several times a week, then traipse them off around a province playing matches.

Lads may lose out of a year. But you know what? Tough shit. There's plenty of businesses and employees losing out on much more than a year's ball.

It's a different story at senior level. These are grown adults making adult choices. They are also genuinely elite athletes in their sport. They are not 16 year old kids.

mup

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2020, 02:16:49 PM
The u20 and u17 championships for 2020 should have been killed completely in April. There is simply no need to gather youngsters up from all around a county several times a week, then traipse them off around a province playing matches.

Lads may lose out of a year. But you know what? Tough shit. There's plenty of businesses and employees losing out on much more than a year's ball.

It's a different story at senior level. These are grown adults making adult choices. They are also genuinely elite athletes in their sport. They are not 16 year old kids.

Tough shit on young lads? Great attitude. I also didn't realise that you could only be a genuinely elite athlete at adult level. So because businesses are losing out then so should these young lads?

Typical Irish attitude.

thewobbler

Quote from: mup on October 21, 2020, 03:00:18 PM

Tough shit on young lads? Great attitude. I also didn't realise that you could only be a genuinely elite athlete at adult level. So because businesses are losing out then so should these young lads?

Typical Irish attitude.

There's a pandemic going on. Pretty much everything in the country is shut. Getting 16 year old kids to travel the length of a county to train is immoral, and on so many levels. Then getting them to travel around the country on "elite athlete" status is a lie of the highest order.

—-

You can of course be an elite athlete at 16. Wayne Rooney was. Mike Tyson was. Ian Thorpe was.

But those squad players who missed out on Fermanagh u17s match day squad are not elite athletes. If they are elite athletes, then in football alone there are almost 1,000 elite athletes strewn across the country, in a narrow age band of being born in 2003 or 2004. Same again in hurling. Same again in ladies football. Same again in camogie.

That's some "elite" for an island of 6m people.

GalwayBayBoy

The thing is these U-20's that can't play on Saturday can line out for the seniors on Sunday if selected. I've given up on the logic of these things at this stage.

mup

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2020, 03:14:52 PM
Quote from: mup on October 21, 2020, 03:00:18 PM

Typical Irish attitude.

There's a pandemic going on. Pretty much everything in the country is shut. Getting 16 year old kids to travel the length of a county to train is immoral, and on so many levels. Then getting them to travel around the country on "elite athlete" status is a lie of the highest order.

—-

You can of course be an elite athlete at 16. Wayne Rooney was. Mike Tyson was. Ian Thorpe was.

But those squad players who missed out on Fermanagh u17s match day squad are not elite athletes. If they are elite athletes, then in football alone there are almost 1,000 elite athletes strewn across the country, in a narrow age band of being born in 2003 or 2004. Same again in hurling. Same again in ladies football. Same again in camogie.

That's some "elite" for an island of 6m people.

So how is it different to senior players travelling the length of the country? Can the virus differentiate between a 16/17 year and an adult?

The decision is nothing but an attempt by the government to satisfy the masses who want no GAA going ahead. It's a compromise. I might be naïve but I've yet to hear of a transmission on the field of play.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on October 21, 2020, 03:18:07 PM
The thing is these U-20's that can't play on Saturday can line out for the seniors on Sunday if selected. I've given up on the logic of these things at this stage.

Logic is by the wayside when its known 15 to 17 year olds are more likely to catch this virus indoors in a class room than outdoors on a football pitch.

thewobbler

The difference is that being an above average talent in your age group does not an elite athlete make.

—-

Elite level sport is being permitted by the government, behind closed doors, to help ensure continuity (minimise disruption) in contractual, sponsorship and grant arrangements, and to provide the population with something to look forward to (in the larger, televised sports).

The GAA made, in my opinion, an error of judgement in trying to allocate thousands of children as having this elite level status.

mup

Quote from: thewobbler on October 21, 2020, 03:28:54 PM
The difference is that being an above average talent in your age group does not an elite athlete make.

—-

Elite level sport is being permitted by the government, behind closed doors, to help ensure continuity (minimise disruption) in contractual, sponsorship and grant arrangements, and to provide the population with something to look forward to (in the larger, televised sports).

The GAA made, in my opinion, an error of judgement in trying to allocate thousands of children as having this elite level status.

That doesn't answer my question on how the virus can differentiate between a 16/17 year old and an adult.

The Government are pandering to the baying masses.

IMO it should be possible to play the early stages of the u20 and minor championships. There would be no big celebrations after a 'mere' championship win because that's where these GAA clusters emanated from.

Rossfan

Wasnt the NPHET advice that Senior Inter County was considered elite.
The Government left out the word Senior.
Anyway I think seeing as we're gone to Level 5 it's the right decision at U17 especially not to be traipsing children all over the place in the middle of a pandemic.
Before ye start .. schooling is kind of important, playing amateur sport isn't in the greater scheme of things.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Blowitupref

Quote from: Rossfan on October 21, 2020, 03:49:03 PM
Wasnt the NPHET advice that Senior Inter County was considered elite.
The Government left out the word Senior.
Anyway I think seeing as we're gone to Level 5 it's the right decision at U17 especially not to be traipsing children all over the place in the middle of a pandemic.
Before ye start .. schooling is kind of important, playing amateur sport isn't in the greater scheme of things.

I'd understand the need for pausing the U17 championship but surely it would have made sense to play that U20 Final at the weekend. Its basically adult football and just 1 game.

Rossfan

Yep they could have exempted that 1 game right enough.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

From the Bunker

Yes! If you have the chance of finishing off a competition - get it done. This only leaves both groups having to get together again and again which only adds to more logistic headaches.