Sports Funding in NI

Started by Evil Genius, August 16, 2020, 07:21:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2020, 06:54:54 PM
If 10 Rugby , 20 Soccer and 30 GAA Clubs apply for grants should only 10 of each get a grant?
No, of course not.

But you simply don't know that eg twice as many GAA clubs applied as football clubs. Or for that matter that they were applying for greater sums or that a higher percentage of their applications met the criteria etc.

And that the same applied vis-a-vis rugby clubs.

That seems to be the logic behind that Unionist MLA's complaint
No it isn't - see above.
"If you come in here again, you'd better bring guns"
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Evil Genius

Quote from: Rossfan on August 31, 2020, 08:17:39 PM
See Northmans post.
You refer to it as though it's now "Case closed".

But while it offers interesting insight it still doesn't constitute conclusive proof - see eg my post of 18.26 today.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Rossfan

It's not a Court case.
But Northman's detailed post makes a stronger case than your suspicion that biased Officials in the Dept of Sport shovelled money to the GAA with no (Unionist) MLAs there to stop them?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Eamonnca1

Quote from: Evil Genius on August 31, 2020, 07:51:12 PM
If 10 Rugby , 20 Soccer and 30 GAA Clubs apply for grants should only 10 of each get a grant?
No, of course not.

But you simply don't know that eg twice as many GAA clubs applied as football clubs. Or for that matter that they were applying for greater sums or that a higher percentage of their applications met the criteria etc.

And that the same applied vis-a-vis rugby clubs.

That seems to be the logic behind that Unionist MLA's complaint
No it isn't - see above.

Your point seem to be that it "seems strange" and you've repeated it often enough to make it clear. Until we get a complete picture of how many clubs from each code applied for grants, it "seems strange" is as close as you're likely to get to proving the kind of conspiracy being peddled by Barton.

Speaking of which, here's the full text of the article you've posted:

QuoteAn Ulster Unionist MLA has called for equality of funding to sports bodies after official figures revealed Ulster GAA received almost five times more from Stormont in the past three years compared to the Irish Football Association.

Rosemary Barton said Department for Communities figures show that Ulster GAA received over £3m from the department and Sport NI, with the IFA receiving £648,888 and Ulster Rugby £701,289.

"This means that Ulster GAA received almost 2.5 times more than the other two sporting bodies together and almost five times more than that of either Ulster Rugby or the Irish Football Association," she said.

"While I accept the sporting credentials of the GAA, senior people within the organisation accept that they are not just a sporting organisation. Their own constitution also reflects this reality."

Ms Barton said "there is a need for more equality and fairness".

The article doesn't say anything about how much was applied for either, but Barton seems convinced that the current funding is unfair. Do you agree with her claim?

Eamonnca1

More whinging:

QuoteDUP MLA expresses 'considerable concern' over sports hardship fund going to GAA

A DUP MLA has expressed concern over a reported 40% of a hardship fund for sports clubs going to the GAA.

The Hardship Fund for Sport was launched by the Department for Communities to support sports clubs and organisations amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The £500,000 fund distributes grants of up to £2,000 to help organisations meet essential overheads and maintain their facilities during lockdown.

However high demand saw the fund close to new applications within days.

DUP MLA Jonathan Buckley said he had "considerable concern" with allocations so far, claiming that 40% of the funding has been awarded to the GAA.

He claimed this "is grossly weighted", and asked what consultation had been held with sports organisations and what consideration had been given to equality across sporting sectors.

Communities minister Deirdre Hargey responded, saying the demand had been unprecedented.

"It's not enough money to meet the need and obviously we don't have enough money to meet all of the need that is out there, but we did move quick with Sport NI and also the Sports Forum, which represents a variety of sports organisations in terms of the delivery of this fund," she said.

"That scheme was launched, everyone got the same information at the same time... obviously the demand has been unprecedented, we had to suspend it because we just need to look at assessing the applications that are in and we will see what money can be made available.

"I take no role in terms of the assessments of applications."

In response to a question from Alliance MLA Chris Lyttle, Ms Hargey added she would like to get the hardship fund "started again as soon as possible if I can get the money available to me".

40% going to the GAA sounds about right to me. Unionists just have a hard time understanding how popular the GAA is. Maybe they think GAA matches are like those Irish League matches that are attended by two men and a dog.

screenexile

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 31, 2020, 10:21:41 PM
More whinging:

QuoteDUP MLA expresses 'considerable concern' over sports hardship fund going to GAA

A DUP MLA has expressed concern over a reported 40% of a hardship fund for sports clubs going to the GAA.

The Hardship Fund for Sport was launched by the Department for Communities to support sports clubs and organisations amid the coronavirus pandemic.

The £500,000 fund distributes grants of up to £2,000 to help organisations meet essential overheads and maintain their facilities during lockdown.

DUP MLA Jonathan Buckley said he had "considerable concern" with allocations so far, claiming that 40% of the funding has been awarded to the GAA.

He claimed this "is grossly weighted", and asked what consultation had been held with sports organisations and what consideration had been given to equality across sporting sectors.

Communities minister Deirdre Hargey responded, saying the demand had been unprecedented.

"It's not enough money to meet the need and obviously we don't have enough money to meet all of the need that is out there, but we did move quick with Sport NI and also the Sports Forum, which represents a variety of sports organisations in terms of the delivery of this fund," she said.

"That scheme was launched, everyone got the same information at the same time... obviously the demand has been unprecedented, we had to suspend it because we just need to look at assessing the applications that are in and we will see what money can be made available.

In response to a question from Alliance MLA Chris Lyttle, Ms Hargey added she would like to get the hardship fund "started again as soon as possible if I can get the money available to me".

40% going to the GAA sounds about right to me. Unionists just have a hard time understanding how popular the GAA is. Maybe they think GAA matches are like those Irish League matches that are attended by two men and a dog.

Well if you judged it based on media coverage from the national broadcaster you'd be forgiven for thinking that!!!

Eamonnca1

Quote from: screenexile on August 31, 2020, 10:23:28 PM
More whinging:

Well if you judged it based on media coverage from the national broadcaster you'd be forgiven for thinking that!!!

Exactly.

brokencrossbar1

'Ballinamallard 0 .....Harldand and Wolfe Welders 0.....another good game down in Fermanagh....'

Farrandeelin

Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

brokencrossbar1

More whinging:

The hardship fund is to cover overheads and maintain facilities. Given that most average soccer club has no facilities then they are unlikely to be entitled. These figures as stand alone are worthless. Look at the amount of applications, look at the requirements for the funding, I think you'll find that the GAA clubs are simply more attuned to getting the grants. Cheap political point scoring by parties trying to play to their base support without actually doing what their base support need and going to their grassroots sports clubs and helping them apply for the grants and promote their clubs. Let's just give off about Themmuns.

Evil Genius

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 31, 2020, 10:17:36 PM
Your point seem to be that it "seems strange" and you've repeated it often enough to make it clear. Until we get a complete picture of how many clubs from each code applied for grants, it "seems strange" is as close as you're likely to get to proving the kind of conspiracy being peddled by Barton.
On the face of it, it is strange (I prefer "unusual").

I am prepared to accept there may be a reasonable explanation but until one is provided, I remain open to the possibility of an unreasonable one.

Whereas no-one on here is prepared to entertain the latter.

Either way, it merits further investigation, since it is surely the function of the legislature to scrutinise the actions of civil servants, especially during a period when when the Executive wasn't sitting.

Meaning that if everything was above board, then the GAA will have nothing to fear.

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on August 31, 2020, 10:17:36 PM
The article doesn't say anything about how much was applied for either, but Barton seems convinced that the current funding is unfair. Do you agree with her claim?
See above.
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

Evil Genius

More whinging:

Er, IL matches don't reflect the entirety of football in NI, or anything like it.

More to the point, as well as GAA, Football and Rugby, "sports clubs and organisations" encompasses hockey, athletics, boxing, swimming, golf, tennis, badminton, bowls, cricket, motor sports, netball, gymnastics, equestrian, cycling, basketball, disabled sports and any number of others which I can't bring immediately to mind.

Are you claiming that GAA encompasses 40% of ALL sport in NI?
"We don't need guns"
"Yes you fuckin' do"

tyrone86

Quote from: Evil Genius on September 01, 2020, 01:18:24 PM
Er, IL matches don't reflect the entirety of football in NI, or anything like it.

More to the point, as well as GAA, Football and Rugby, "sports clubs and organisations" encompasses hockey, athletics, boxing, swimming, golf, tennis, badminton, bowls, cricket, motor sports, netball, gymnastics, equestrian, cycling, basketball, disabled sports and any number of others which I can't bring immediately to mind.

Are you claiming that GAA encompasses 40% of ALL sport in NI?

I don't think anyone is claiming that or anything close to it but I find it interesting that you're quoting everything except the substantive point.

Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on September 01, 2020, 08:43:26 AM
The hardship fund is to cover overheads and maintain facilities. Given that most average soccer club has no facilities then they are unlikely to be entitled. These figures as stand alone are worthless. Look at the amount of applications, look at the requirements for the funding, I think you'll find that the GAA clubs are simply more attuned to getting the grants. Cheap political point scoring by parties trying to play to their base support without actually doing what their base support need and going to their grassroots sports clubs and helping them apply for the grants and promote their clubs. Let's just give off about Themmuns.

Personally, I have no idea if GAA units own 40% of the facilities that aren't owned by the local councils or hired from Universities, schools or elsewhere but it's fair to say, with the exception of Golf clubs, that a much higher percentage of GAA clubs own their own facilities than those organisations you mention.