BLOODY SUNDAY VICTIMS REMEMBERED

Started by Teachtaire, November 21, 2008, 08:40:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Teachtaire

Just want to recall the memory of those poor innocents who were brutally slaughtered by British forces on 21 Nov 1920 after the terrorists smashed their way into Croke Park and went on a rampage of murder.

Canalman

Teachtaire, might disagree with your terminolgy, I would also deem it appropriate that this atrocity be remembered.

Feel that some posters will criticize you "for living in the past"etc etc. Seems ok though for "Official Ireland" to pine away big time maudlinstyle about the British Army dead in WW1 for some reason.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Canalman on November 21, 2008, 09:22:27 AM
Teachtaire, might disagree with your terminolgy, I would also deem it appropriate that this atrocity be remembered.

Feel that some posters will criticize you "for living in the past"etc etc. Seems ok though for "Official Ireland" to pine away big time maudlinstyle about the British Army dead in WW1 for some reason.

Thats a little large Canalman. Those were completely different times. A lot of Irishmen fought in that war because they had nothing and it was a job for a lot of them. More joined up for the perceived justice of the cause. About 35,000 Irish died. Its not really fair to turn your back on them and question people who are not forgetting the Irish that died in WW1.

Teachtaire

Canalman, not living in the past at all. It is important to know where we have come from and as we celebrate Croke Park as the jewel in the Irish sporting crown it is important to remember the long road we have had to go down to get to where we are at. So, in remembering those who were murdered it is by way of recognising how we have progressed from being down-trodden to becoming confident and vibrant and that we face the future with hope. But it is important that we remember with gratitude that there were those who suffered and died for us to get to this position.

As for terminology, I cannot see how you coud disagree. British Forces did smash their way into Croke Park, they did slaughter innocent people, they did commit murder in that their action was pre-planned and pre-meditated. People were terrorised by the actions of the British that day and one who terrorises is a terrorist.

Teachtaire

Abbey I don't wish to get into the politics of this but I wasn't even wanting to get a reply to my post. It was simply placed on the board for people to remember those who were murdered in Croke Park. Thats all. I think that you'll the British Legion do a good line in recalling the memory of British soldiers.

balladmaker

QuoteAbbey I don't wish to get into the politics of this but I wasn't even wanting to get a reply to my post. It was simply placed on the board for people to remember those who were murdered in Croke Park. Thats all. I think that you'll the British Legion do a good line in recalling the memory of British soldiers.

Teachtaire.....you're post is 100% correct.  We should always remember what went before to get us where we are today.   Of course these innocent people should be rememberd.  Once again, as every year, the Rosary will be recited in Croke Park today in their memory.

What sickens me is the obvious West Brit attitude that seems to pervade most things in Irish Society these days, including the mainstream media who feed the masses with what it is correct and incorrect for us to do.  It is apparent form most threads which are remotely political, that this attitude is alive and well on the GAA board also.  We should never be ashamed to remember our history despite what some might say. 

thejuice

Those who died on this day 88 years ago should be remembered. Absolutely
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

mylestheslasher

Quote from: AbbeySider on November 21, 2008, 09:55:05 AM
Quote from: Canalman on November 21, 2008, 09:22:27 AM

Thats a little large Canalman. Those were completely different times. A lot of Irishmen fought in that war because they had nothing and it was a job for a lot of them. More joined up for the perceived justice of the cause. About 35,000 Irish died. Its not really fair to turn your back on them and question people who are not forgetting the Irish that died in WW1.

I would hazard a guess  that quiet a lot of them - possibly the majority - fought because they thought their help would have been rewarded with Home Rule for ireland.

Fear ón Srath Bán

Right and fitting Teachtaire, though be careful some here don't call for a commemoration of the British 'intelligence' operatives who were taken out earlier that morning.
Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

Tubberman

QuoteRight and fitting Teachtaire, though be careful some here don't call for a commemoration of the British 'intelligence' operatives who were taken out earlier that morning.

::) ::) Where has anything like that been suggested?

"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

magpie seanie

Today it is fitting to remember the victims of Bloody Sunday. It was a gratuitous attack on many things but one of them was our association. No-one is living in the past but we must never forget it either. The GAA is different. I'm glad and proud of that.

As for Teachtaire's initial post - it was spot on.

billy the kid

Quote from: magpie seanie on November 21, 2008, 12:28:05 PM
Today it is fitting to remember the victims of Bloody Sunday. It was a gratuitous attack on many things but one of them was our association. No-one is living in the past but we must never forget it either. The GAA is different. I'm glad and proud of that.

As for Teachtaire's initial post - it was spot on.

I agree 100%

good thread Tac.
If it moves hit it
If it doesnt hit it anyway!!

youngfella

May those that lived in much harder times be remember. There fighting and death puts in prespective for me what the great sports we play and how lucky we are to be play them freely without worry of arrest or punishment.
Pull hard and early

AbbeySider

Just to be clear,
Im totally in favour of recalling the memory of what happened in Croke Park on this day, 21 Nov 1920. Well said Teachtaire, in your first post and subsequent posts. I would like to see more than the Rosery being said as a memorial to the above. A monument and remembrance commemoration would be more in line. 

balladmaker,
I definitely dont want to be persevered as having any sort of "West Brit attitude".
I didnt mean to sound that way at all. I just dont have a problem in remembering the Irish that died in WW1, in which they did in their thousands.
You would be surprised if you looked around in your own locality, how many people would have had grand uncles / relatives that died in the great war.
Im my mind its not fair to tarnish their memory. (I dont want to start a political debate! :-) )

Gaaboardmod3

Sorry lads. I moved this when I saw the topic, before I realised what it was about. 'Tis back again.