GAA Response to Coronavirus

Started by screenexile, March 12, 2020, 12:10:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyCake

Quote from: thewobbler on September 21, 2020, 12:06:48 AM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 11:04:42 PM
It's not even that, BB2.

If I'm sat in the front row, properly socially distancing and all that. Staying away from other people, disinfected my hands, etc etc. The ball lands beside me, and I pick it up and chuck it back to the player for the sideline, I may as well have shaken hands with all the players.

OK I'm overthinking things, but really, that's the reality. Not only that, but I risk passing the virus on to every player by picking up that ball.

overthinking things?

Concentrate on the reality of an scenario whereby a piece of leather in an outdoors environment, bounces without a plausibly recognisable pattern between hands, gloves, feet and surface, constantly  enduring impacts and motions that prevent it from retaining external matter.

Then consider whether human beings could realistically have evolved to our current state in an environment in which a process as ephemeral as this has potential to transmit a lethal virus

Then relax.

Hi boy, will you stop talking in riddles  >:(

Baile Brigín 2

It's not even that, BB2.

If I'm sat in the front row, properly socially distancing and all that. Staying away from other people, disinfected my hands, etc etc. The ball lands beside me, and I pick it up and chuck it back to the player for the sideline, I may as well have shaken hands with all the players.

OK I'm overthinking things, but really, that's the reality. Not only that, but I risk passing the virus on to every player by picking up that ball.

overthinking things?

Concentrate on the reality of an scenario whereby a piece of leather in an outdoors environment, bounces without a plausibly recognisable pattern between hands, gloves, feet and surface, constantly  enduring impacts and motions that prevent it from retaining external matter.

Then consider whether human beings could realistically have evolved to our current state in an environment in which a process as ephemeral as this has potential to transmit a lethal virus

Then relax.

Prevent it from retaining external matter?

We are now reinventing science to justify the GAA's lack of action

imtommygunn

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 20, 2020, 10:46:07 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 08:11:17 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 20, 2020, 08:07:50 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 20, 2020, 03:17:50 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 20, 2020, 03:09:26 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on September 19, 2020, 02:41:24 PM
Heard recently that in soccer (might be when some fans are allowed in), if the ball is thrown back over the hoardings, the ball has to be cleansed before it's used in the match. Sounds sensible enough given the current situation.

Lots of fans have thrown the ball back at a player during a GAA game and play continues. Similar to the microphone thing.

Balls are left on cones around the pitch and the throw in or kickout must be one of those balls. Any ball that leaves the pitch area is cleaned before going on a cone. Ball boys are gone

That's not happening with matches I've seen.

Professional games, it absolutely is

Oh aye yeah, but not in GAA matches.
Gotcha.

Its not a big thing but does feed into the idea the GAA simply isn't making the effort others are

All of the GAA? Specific county boards? What other sports? I have been to other sporting things where there is nothing done. It isn't like all of them are.

They should be cordoning off seats in the stand and I think that's all you can do. If people are standing round they have the choice where to stand themselves - stewards are not the police.

The cleaning the ball thing is a nonsense. If you can't touch the ball then you can't touch any doorhandle about. In the scenario of what if you throw it back - just don't throw it back then you will have nothing to worry about. Or cover your hands with your sleeves. There are many alternatives. That is just too far fetched for me.

thewobbler

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 08:25:09 AM
It's not even that, BB2.

overthinking things?

Then relax.

Prevent it from retaining external matter?

We are now reinventing science to justify the GAA's lack of action

You're right soccer man.

There is an undeniable scenario here, whereby on a warm, dry day, a spectator walks up to a ball, sneezes on it, then returns it inside the fence with an unusually spin-free motion to a player who is not wearing gloves, who then plays a sideline ball and immediately takes the opportunity to rub his nose for a few seconds.

Football the killer.

Ban that shit.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 08:31:22 AM
Heard recently that in soccer (might be when some fans are allowed in), if the ball is thrown back over the hoardings, the ball has to be cleansed before it's used in the match. Sounds sensible enough given the current situation.

Lots of fans have thrown the ball back at a player during a GAA game and play continues. Similar to the microphone thing.

Balls are left on cones around the pitch and the throw in or kickout must be one of those balls. Any ball that leaves the pitch area is cleaned before going on a cone. Ball boys are gone

Gotcha.

Its not a big thing but does feed into the idea the GAA simply isn't making the effort others are

All of the GAA? Specific county boards? What other sports? I have been to other sporting things where there is nothing done. It isn't like all of them are.

They should be cordoning off seats in the stand and I think that's all you can do. If people are standing round they have the choice where to stand themselves - stewards are not the police.

The cleaning the ball thing is a nonsense. If you can't touch the ball then you can't touch any doorhandle about. In the scenario of what if you throw it back - just don't throw it back then you will have nothing to worry about. Or cover your hands with your sleeves. There are many alternatives. That is just too far fetched for me.

If stewards cannot, well , steward, there is a bigger issue. This shrug your shoulders attitude is the problem. To not even have the wit to properly manage televised games...

imtommygunn

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 10:39:40 AM

Gotcha.

If stewards cannot, well , steward, there is a bigger issue. This shrug your shoulders attitude is the problem. To not even have the wit to properly manage televised games...

Stewards are not police. What should they do? There are more than 6 of you... do you live in the same house? Where do you draw the line? They aren't bouncers.

The stands should be cordoned off so people can't sit on top of each other. That is the main thing the GAA should be doing. To be fair at the weekend I thought there was a good bit of distancing in the hurling games I saw. (the tipp hurling and limerick hurling).

You do seem to be a poster who will be critical of the GAA at every opportunity. You have some points in there but the sanitising the ball thing is just petty and silly. Also all sports are not doing things right. I know they're not because I've been there. You constantly seem to imply that it's only the GAA when they don't look to be doing things right. Bars, restaurants, other sports - there are people everywhere not doing things right.

Anyway you picked one thing out of my post. One.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 10:45:30 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on September 21, 2020, 10:39:40 AM

Gotcha.

Stewards are not police. What should they do? There are more than 6 of you... do you live in the same house? Where do you draw the line? They aren't bouncers.

The stands should be cordoned off so people can't sit on top of each other. That is the main thing the GAA should be doing. To be fair at the weekend I thought there was a good bit of distancing in the hurling games I saw. (the tipp hurling and limerick hurling).

You do seem to be a poster who will be critical of the GAA at every opportunity. You have some points in there but the sanitising the ball thing is just petty and silly. Also all sports are not doing things right. I know they're not because I've been there. You constantly seem to imply that it's only the GAA when they don't look to be doing things right. Bars, restaurants, other sports - there are people everywhere not doing things right.

Anyway you picked one thing out of my post. One.

If I were to go onto a bar, restaurant or other sport forum I will be equally as critical.

You say its not up to stewards to rnforece social distancing. I say it absolutely is. They shouldn't need to make a call. 2m apart at all times or throw them out. End of.

The ball thing might be overkill, but it reminds players and viewers that things are different and is important symbolism.

Itchy

square_ball

Quote from: Itchy on September 21, 2020, 11:04:13 AM
Quote from: Smokin Joe on September 21, 2020, 10:40:10 AM
uh oh......
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-54233073

Ah its great that she is keeping an eye on the matches, shows the DUP are moving forward.

Dungannon are in her constituency so she'd have been delighted with their win.

BennyCake

Snarlene has a point. It's only because she's from the DUP that she looks like she's just being petty towards the GAA. And maybe she is. But she is also right.

As for stewards, if half of Dungannon was jumping the hoardings, would you stop them and risk infecting yourself and your family? No you wouldn't.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: BennyCake on September 21, 2020, 11:24:22 AM
Snarlene has a point. It's only because she's from the DUP that she looks like she's just being petty towards the GAA. And maybe she is. But she is also right.

As for stewards, if half of Dungannon was jumping the hoardings, would you stop them and risk infecting yourself and your family? No you wouldn't.

So why are they there?

imtommygunn

The ball thing is not important symbolism at all. You have a good few things you could get at here but that's not one of them.

Maybe we should give these stewards tazers too BB2 ;D

As I say I think you have some valid points in there but you sometimes lose them in your haste to criticise everything GAA. The picture on that teamtalkmag of dungannon supporters doesn't look good.

My view remains cordon off seats in the stand and then the rest is up to advice. Also I do believe Limerick and Tipp finals in the hurling were pretty good in general for distancing.

armaghniac

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 21, 2020, 11:33:44 AM
The ball thing is not important symbolism at all. You have a good few things you could get at here but that's not one of them.

Maybe we should give these stewards tazers too BB2 ;D

As I say I think you have some valid points in there but you sometimes lose them in your haste to criticise everything GAA. The picture on that teamtalkmag of dungannon supporters doesn't look good.

My view remains cordon off seats in the stand and then the rest is up to advice. Also I do believe Limerick and Tipp finals in the hurling were pretty good in general for distancing.

The point is that the pics from Semple would suggest that the GAA is capable of running a proper operation and that they might be allowed have a bigger crowd. Some of the pics from Tyrone suggest the opposite.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

imtommygunn

The GAA or the respective county boards though?

I get the point but there's just a lot of pettiness in the points too.