The Official THFC thread

Started by Owenmoresider, October 25, 2007, 08:46:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

small white mayoman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 05, 2010, 10:50:48 PM
QuoteRoll on  Saturday!

Typical Bangwagoner doesn't even know when the games are..

Anyway Spurs have done well and I'm sure it's nice for Fearon, Wobbler, Owenmoresider et al who would have put with some abuse over the last few years, enjoy the UCL boys.

i thought tony was the only spurs man on the board  ;) as i never saw this thread  ??? however there seems to be a few of us on the board ,been a life long fan myself and delighted that we will finished in the top 4 . What a difference a few weeks make i was sickened after we lost to portsmouth in the fa cup however to have beaten Arsenal , Chelsea and Man city in the final few games  shows how well they done. Would be great to get to the league stages . Fair play to harry we were near the bottom when he took over and to quailify for the champions league is a fair achievement
All Ireland Champions 2006 & 2007

Norf Tyrone

Quote from: small white mayoman on May 06, 2010, 10:51:53 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 05, 2010, 10:50:48 PM
QuoteRoll on  Saturday!

Typical Bangwagoner doesn't even know when the games are..

Anyway Spurs have done well and I'm sure it's nice for Fearon, Wobbler, Owenmoresider et al who would have put with some abuse over the last few years, enjoy the UCL boys.

i thought tony was the only spurs man on the board  ;) as i never saw this thread  ??? however there seems to be a few of us on the board ,been a life long fan myself and delighted that we will finished in the top 4 . What a difference a few weeks make i was sickened after we lost to portsmouth in the fa cup however to have beaten Arsenal , Chelsea and Man city in the final few games  shows how well they done. Would be great to get to the league stages . Fair play to harry we were near the bottom when he took over and to quailify for the champions league is a fair achievement

You do realise you haven't qualified for the CL yet?
Owen Roe O'Neills GAC, Leckpatrick, Tyrone

DennistheMenace

We are going to be seeded more than likely which makes it a bit easier but it still will be a tough ask but that's something to think about another day. Great performance last night and fully deserved, a team on the way up and hopefully within a few years we'll be looking down on the scum.

Doogie Browser

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 06, 2010, 02:59:32 PM
We are going to be seeded more than likely which makes it a bit easier but it still will be a tough ask but that's something to think about another day. Great performance last night and fully deserved, a team on the way up and hopefully within a few years we'll be looking down on the scum.
No seeds this year, open draw.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 06, 2010, 03:13:29 PM
No seeds this year, open draw.

I think you'll find it is seeded..

Quoterom the UEFA regulations for season 2010-2011.

http://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFiles/Downlo...49_DOWNLOAD.pdf

Article 9

Seeding of clubs

9.01 The UEFA administration seeds clubs for the qualifying phase, the play-offs
and the group stage in the UEFA Champions League, in accordance with the
club coefficient rankings established at the beginning of the season and with
the principles set by the Club Competitions Committee. If, for any unforeseen
reason, any of the participants in such rounds are not known at the time of
the draw, the coefficient of the club with the higher coefficient of the two
clubs involved in an undecided tie will be used for the purposes of the draw.

9.02 For seeding purposes, rankings are drawn up on the basis of a combination
of 20% of the value of the respective national association's coefficient for the
period from 2005/06 to 2009/10 inclusive and the clubs' individual
performances in the UEFA club competitions during the same period. Each
club retains the cumulative number of points obtained during this period.

9.03 For the qualifying phase and the play-offs, a draw between the same number
of seeded and unseeded clubs determines the pairings, in accordance with
the club coefficient ranking established at the beginning of the season (see
9.02). The UEFA administration may form groups, in accordance with the
principles set by the Club Competitions Committee.

9.04 For the purpose of the draw, the 32 clubs involved in the group stage are
seeded into four groups of eight, in accordance with the club coefficient
ranking established at the beginning of the season (see 9.02). The titleholder
is always the top seed.

9.05 For the round of 16, the group-winners are seeded above the runners-up.

Doogie Browser

Not what was talked about on telly last night.
Is that not the actual group stages you refer to though? I think Spurs have to negotiate a qualifying round (assuming Arsenal finish 3rd) and this round is effectively an open draw?

muppet

Well done to Spurs on reaching the CL.

Not sure why it is assumed that Gunners fans would be unhappy, we are there also as usual.

As for 3rd, Fulham have the Europa Cup Final the weds after. Expect a weak team out.
MWWSI 2017

EC Unique

But sure Liverpool are 7th!

AFS

Quote from: Doogie Browser on May 06, 2010, 04:12:03 PM
Not what was talked about on telly last night.
Is that not the actual group stages you refer to though? I think Spurs have to negotiate a qualifying round (assuming Arsenal finish 3rd) and this round is effectively an open draw?

I think he's right. UEFA seed the five teams from England, France, Italy, Spain and Germany for the final qualifying round. They'll face one of these ten teams, who have to play an extra qualifying round:

* Russia - Zenit St. Petersburg (3rd)
    * Ukraine - Dynamo Kyiv (2nd)
    * Netherlands - Ajax (2nd)
    * Romania Runners-up of the 2009–10 - (Any one of 5 or 6 teams)
    * Portugal Runners-up of the 2009–10 Portuguese Liga - (Probably Braga)
    * Turkey Runners-up of the 2009–10 Turkish Super - (Bursaspor/ Fenerbahce)
    * Greece Playoff Group winners of the 2009–10 Super League - (Aris Salonika/ AEK Athens/ Olympiakos/ PAOK Salonika)
    * Scotland - Celtic (2nd)
    * Belgium Runners-up of the 2009–10 Belgian First Division - (Club Bruges)
    * Switzerland Runners-up of the 2009–10 Swiss Super League - (Young Boys/ Basle)

DennistheMenace

It's definitely seeding taken into account the Club Coefficiency rate - Spurs is 56.371 (ranked 30th out of all teams)

http://www.xs4all.nl/~kassiesa/bert/uefa/d.../trank2010.html

The only way we won't be seeded is if the following scenario takes place..

Bremen finishing 3rd, Lyon finishing 3rd, Sevilla finishing 4th and least likely, Milan to drop from 3rd to 4th. Now I can easily see 1-2 of those happening, mainly Sevilla and Bremen (think Lyon will finish 2nd), but all of the 4 to happen - it would take a miracle.

We are straight into the 4th qualifying round as well..

10 teams in 3rd Q round for 'best placed teams', draw is 16 July

Zenit St P
D Kiev
Ajax
romanian runners up (still up for grabs tmtm)
Sporting Braga
Bursaspor or Galatasaray
Olympiakos or PAOK
Celtic
Brugge
Basel

5 winners progress to 4th Q round for 'best placed teams' which we're in:

Tottenham Hotspur or Arsenal
Sevilla or Mallorca
Sampdoria or Palermo
Werder Bremen or Bayer Leverkusen
Lille, Auxerre, Lyon or Montpellier

DennistheMenace

Quote from: EC Unique on May 06, 2010, 05:14:02 PM

But sure Liverpool are 7th!

Your scum and mine entirely different  :)

muppet

Bentley proves his claim to be the missing link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiMdKeqQF68

I wonder how quickly Harry will sell him now?
MWWSI 2017

DennistheMenace

Harry took it in good heart but Bentley is probably gone regardless, just doesn't suit the spurs style of football and always thought it was a tad overrated because he's English. Better off in being the bigger fish in the smaller pond to suit his ego.

Dinny Breen

A the Arsenal reject David 'I'm the new Becks' Bentley, he left Arsenal for a smaller club in Blackburn and left them for an even smaller club in Spurs, probably end up at Liverpool next.
#newbridgeornowhere

DennistheMenace

Great insight and contribution Dinny, suppose you lot can't forgive him after his 40 odd yard volley last year.