Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smurfy123

If Down could somehow get McGovern Doherty McParland along with 1 midfielder and a keeper they would have a serious team. That forward line are dangerous and add in the subs that came on Quinn O Hagen McCabe Devlin they are pretty solid up top. Guinness x2 McCabe Quinn 2 Keepers  Havern Collins? Francie? I make it 8/9 debutants yesterday? Massive blow to loose Mooney but I think to loose the keeper was an even bigger blow as Down went back to just hoofing the call out which ultimately cost them the match

PAULD123

Fantastically entertaining. Loved it. A real championship match. Armagh, at 5 points and a man up should have buried us. They totally pooped their tactics. Should simply have driven long balls to Clarke for the next ten minutes.

Fair play to our boys who fought back against the odds. Vast improvement from the league. Can we continue the improvement, and more importantly the speed of play?

Will Ryan Johnstone (or any of the other injured players) be available any time soon?

No1

QuoteTally did a brilliant job tactically

MR, I agree with most of what you write there but he made a huge error sending Poland back in to pick up Murnin.  I thought that was a terrible decision that cost us a goal and a point.

Plenty of positives to take away though.

Leftmidfield

Ryan Mallon came on and was then taken off. Was this tactical or was he injured?
If it was the former then I think that could be the last we will see of him in the red and black

Brick Tamlin

Id hazard a guess that he was taken off because of the personal error count at a critical juncture in the game.
If hes going to be effective in Tally's team he's going to have to improve his awareness and decision-making and get his head up more often. Maybe add an end product to his repertoire.

Lotto

Quote from: Leftmidfield on May 20, 2019, 04:41:47 PM
Ryan Mallon came on and was then taken off. Was this tactical or was he injured?
If it was the former then I think that could be the last we will see of him in the red and black

He was taken off because of his inability to lift the ball but rather chose to put his toe in it, a decision which ended up with the ball in our net within 20 seconds. Head down and run hard is all he has ever been about with very poor decision making throw in, I'm sure Armagh would have rather he had stayed on as he offered nothing.

RadioGAAGAA

We probably should have parked Havern on the edge of the square and bombed a few in.

2 goals from long high balls in... and I don't remember their full back or goalie making any massive catches and clearances either.
i usse an speelchekor

Lotto

I seriously don't get the celebration of being gallant losers, sure aren't we just great we nearly won a game against our hated rivals but all is good, we played some nice football, if Caolan and Rory hadn't got sent off and with a wee bit of luck we could have won but it's grand we'll take being second best. But hey, we have a(n extremely well paid) genius over us who has us really going places. I think some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. We're still in Division 3 when we couldn't get over the line against an average Louth team and people think we have made progress this year.

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 19, 2019, 10:11:15 PM
Tally did a brilliant job tactically
Brilliant tactics???

The long ball in was working and we got scores being direct but failed to consistently do this. Havern and Harrison wouldn't stay inside where they were dangerous and an option for a direct ball in.
Linked to above point was the lack of presence in FF line to hit a man with so often while building attacks, not even a highball in.
Kevin Mc Kernan on Rian O'Neill, what was that about?
Transition was pedestrian until late on in the game when we went for it and see the difference that it made - let the players play FFS.
Failed to push up on kickouts giving Armagh easy possession to come at us.
Kickouts haven't changed much since the league and cost against a very dominant Armagh midfield going long and trying to win the break ball. It didn't work during the league and we had similar results yesterday.
Sub keeper has trained twice with Down after only be called into the panel last weekend. WTF
Even with 15 behind the ball we were still so open at the back and Armagh got through us far too easy too often.
Poor tackling led to so many frees being given away but poor free taking from Armagh helped us stay in touch.
We had a panel of over 40 for most of the year but yesterday there was little confidence in the panel options when putting players back on who were taken off for playing bad. Where was the player development since October working with a genius?
Putting Conor Poland back on at full back
Turnovers and decision making poor throughout
Constantly carrying the ball into the tackle and coughing up easy possession against a more physical and organised team.
Inability to pick up runners at us with slack/poor/non existent marking.
Lack of a defensive plan when we went 3 points up in the 2nd period of extra time to close the game out and our manager is a defensive guru.

Tally proved his capabilitiies today and, with the players buying into his approach, some heartening progress is definitely on the cards.

Players buying into his approach? 15 behind the ball, put everyone on one side of the pitch, kick it out and hope to get the break, pass sideways constantly but don't worry about going forward, drop to the 50 after your team scores, put the same men back on even though you have taken them off for not playing well, just a few of the genius approach from our manager. How can you say that progress is on the cards, we have made little progress this year? Just about beating very poor teams in Carlow and Sligo in the last few minutes of games, choking when we had the game by the throat yesterday. If was someone on the bench yesterday, seeing men go back on who had played poorly and been taken off I would have to wonder why I would go back to training this week. Here's hoping for London in the qualifiers, or maybe not. Let's see your heartening progress in the qualifiers Mourne Rover.

It was a complete shitshow at times yesterday, like the league at times but keep up your positivity if you want but it's not for me.

Nanderson

Quote from: Lotto on May 20, 2019, 06:49:28 PM
I seriously don't get the celebration of being gallant losers, sure aren't we just great we nearly won a game against our hated rivals but all is good, we played some nice football, if Caolan and Rory hadn't got sent off and with a wee bit of luck we could have won but it's grand we'll take being second best. But hey, we have a(n extremely well paid) genius over us who has us really going places. I think some of you need to wake up and smell the coffee. We're still in Division 3 when we couldn't get over the line against an average Louth team and people think we have made progress this year.

Brilliant tactics???

The long ball in was working and we got scores being direct but failed to consistently do this.
Do you know what happens when a team continue to kick a ball long? Defenders get wise to it, get men back and break it. The reason Down were so effective was because they hit it so little and did it at crucial times when Armagh were vulnerable at the back and managed to catch them out. Thats not to say that it would work everytime. I would expect any division 4 club team to know how to play against a high ball in let alone a county team

Lotto

Quote from: Nanderson on May 20, 2019, 09:19:41 PM
Quote from: Lotto on May 20, 2019, 06:49:28 PM

Brilliant tactics???

The long ball in was working and we got scores being direct but failed to consistently do this.
Do you know what happens when a team continue to kick a ball long? Defenders get wise to it, get men back and break it. The reason Down were so effective was because they hit it so little and did it at crucial times when Armagh were vulnerable at the back and managed to catch them out. Thats not to say that it would work everytime. I would expect any division 4 club team to know how to play against a high ball in let alone a county team

A bit like Armagh, a county team not a Division 4 club team, did for the last goal.

thewobbler

I've been watching football for 35 years and one thing has remained a constant: when a long ball is kicked in that actually gives an attacker a half a chance of winning, it scares the shit out of defenders.

Most long balls don't work as they're the wrong trajectory (every foot of height gives the defender a few ms more to adjust) or because they're landing near the corner flag and serve little advantage in winning,  or are kicked long just as the attacker is coming short.

But plant it up there and ensure the target has at least some ground support, and fear will rule. At every level.

Mourne Rover

Lotto has clearly forgotten about our last Ulster championship match 12 months ago when Donegal beat us by 13 points without breaking sweat even through we had an extra man for almost an entire hour. This time round, we came up with a strategy to negate Armagh's perceived superiority at midfield until Mooney got himself sent off. We then regrouped, had to cope with the black card for our keeper and then finished very strongly to come from five behind and get a draw. We could have won it in extra time and lost out by a point in the end. We had six players starting in the championship for the first time with a further four debuts from the bench.

When most supporters think we have made significant progress since last year's debacle, Lotto thinks we are celebrating failure. In Lotto's world, you can somehow push up on the opposition and keep kicking the ball in long, even if you are a man down. Lotto's tactical insight is summed up as `let the players play FFS'. Lotto did not notice the way we rotated our full forwards and pulled Armagh defenders out of possession, resulting in three goals, and obviously missed the sense of purpose which was present across the squad.

There were plenty of handling mistakes and errors of judgment along the way, we have a long way to go and much will depend on the draw for the qualfiiers. However, we have a spirit about us, the younger players are only going to improve and we are begining to look like we might become a team again. It's a start.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: thewobbler on May 20, 2019, 11:05:56 PM
I've been watching football for 35 years and one thing has remained a constant: when a long ball is kicked in that actually gives an attacker a half a chance of winning, it scares the shit out of defenders.

Most long balls don't work as they're the wrong trajectory (every foot of height gives the defender a few ms more to adjust) or because they're landing near the corner flag and serve little advantage in winning,  or are kicked long just as the attacker is coming short.

But plant it up there and ensure the target has at least some ground support, and fear will rule. At every level.

At the risk of sounding like one of them ould fellas of the flat cap brigade... a long ball in that is gonna bounce on the goaline is about the right flight for asking all sorts of awkward questions of the goalie and fullback.

Particularly if the fullback is already worried about the ball out in front and is marking in front.
i usse an speelchekor

Aristo 60

Quote from: Mourne Rover on May 20, 2019, 11:21:04 PM
Lotto has clearly forgotten about our last Ulster championship match 12 months ago when Donegal beat us by 13 points without breaking sweat even through we had an extra man for almost an entire hour. This time round, we came up with a strategy to negate Armagh's perceived superiority at midfield until Mooney got himself sent off. We then regrouped, had to cope with the black card for our keeper and then finished very strongly to come from five behind and get a draw. We could have won it in extra time and lost out by a point in the end. We had six players starting in the championship for the first time with a further four debuts from the bench.

When most supporters think we have made significant progress since last year's debacle, Lotto thinks we are celebrating failure. In Lotto's world, you can somehow push up on the opposition and keep kicking the ball in long, even if you are a man down. Lotto's tactical insight is summed up as `let the players play FFS'. Lotto did not notice the way we rotated our full forwards and pulled Armagh defenders out of possession, resulting in three goals, and obviously missed the sense of purpose which was present across the squad.

There were plenty of handling mistakes and errors of judgment along the way, we have a long way to go and much will depend on the draw for the qualfiiers. However, we have a spirit about us, the younger players are only going to improve and we are begining to look like we might become a team again. It's a start.

Well said.

befair

Quote from: Lotto on May 20, 2019, 05:15:26 PM
Quote from: Leftmidfield on May 20, 2019, 04:41:47 PM

He was taken off because of his inability to lift the ball but rather chose to put his toe in it, a decision which ended up with the ball in our net within 20 seconds. Head down and run hard is all he has ever been about with very poor decision making throw in, I'm sure Armagh would have rather he had stayed on as he offered nothing.

Every player can make a mistake; taking a lad off so shortly after being brought on was an unnecessary humiliation. Mallon is a county standard footballer, and would be an excellent full-back; I agree further up the field he is less effective