The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

He doesn't need to guess what the motives of a defence counsel are, Dinny, it's in their name. Defence.

You're either saying he's braindead stupid or he knew full well he was being used as a tool to portray the image the defence counsel wanted of their clients. Pick your poison because it's one or the other.

Orchard park

Quote from: Dinny Breen on February 05, 2018, 04:33:27 PM
How many people on the street in Norn Iron would recognise and know Rory Best, not very many I would garner.

The witness was behind a screen so she wouldn't even know he was there.

Now you're Rory Best, farmer rugby player you are directed to attend your friends trial, it's not an invitation "Dear Rory, you wouldn't been a sport and attend....etc" He has been told to attend a very serious trial, of course he's bloody well going to attend, he can't second guess any SC's motives, he's not a law student or one of us gobshites with too much time on his hands. He was there in good faith I have no doubt whether he was invited in good faith is another debate and when it comes to ethics and the law that debate would break the internet.

Social media is becoming a scourge and is showing no signs of maturity, the amount of abuse Rory Best has received is disgusting. If any person is on this board was directed by an SC to attend their friends trial and your friend had pleaded not guilty, every single person would attend.

so are you saying farmers are stupid ???????

yellowcard

How many people on the street in Norn Iron would recognise and know Rory Best, not very many I would garner.

Now you're Rory Best, farmer rugby player you are directed to attend your friends trial, it's not an invitation "Dear Rory, you wouldn't been a sport and attend....etc" He has been told to attend a very serious trial, of course he's bloody well going to attend, he can't second guess any SC's motives, he's not a law student or one of us gobshites with too much time on his hands. He was there in good faith I have no doubt whether he was invited in good faith is another debate and when it comes to ethics and the law that debate would break the internet.

Social media is becoming a scourge and is showing no signs of maturity, the amount of abuse Rory Best has received is disgusting. If any person is on this board was directed by an SC to attend their friends trial and your friend had pleaded not guilty, every single person would attend.

Maybe someone will correct me but I can't believe that he didn't have a choice whether to attend. Surely the directive from senior counsel isn't a compulsory one?

AQMP

"Farmer rugby player"??

yellowcard

Quote from: Orchard park on February 05, 2018, 04:45:15 PM

so are you saying farmers are stupid ???????

I don't even know what the relevance of his occupation has to the argument but Rory Best is not a stupid fellow and I can't imagine that he would not have been well aware of the consequences of his decision to attend in terms of the statement that it sent. 

Orchard park

whats the relevance of Bests priveleged background ??

tonto1888

not that long ago Rory Best was in an eating place in Lurgan. Plenty of people recognised him

AQMP

Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2018, 04:51:57 PM

not that long ago Rory Best was in an eating place in Lurgan. Plenty of people recognised him

He can't be that clever, so!

David McKeown

I ask again are we sure it was senior for the defence who directed he attend. If it was. Which senior?  We are again assuming a lot here.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Syferus

Quote from: David McKeown on February 05, 2018, 05:08:45 PM
I ask again are we sure it was senior for the defence who directed he attend. If it was. Which senior?  We are again assuming a lot here.

Oh, Jesus. Come on. Do you need it written in blood on the courtroom wall or something?

tonto1888

Quote from: AQMP on February 05, 2018, 05:06:27 PM
Quote from: tonto1888 on February 05, 2018, 04:51:57 PM

He can't be that clever, so!

Oi. Lurgan is full of great eateries

yellowcard

Of course we are assuming but why on earth would the prosecution direct Rory Best and Henderson to attend the trial?

AQMP

From the Irish Times report:

At the outset of Monday's hearing there was legal discussion of media reporting of how Mr Best attended the trial last Wednesday.  The court was told Mr Best attended the hearing because he was instructed to be present by lawyers involved in the case. The matter was raised by lawyers for the defence.  It was agreed that this fact should be reported by the press.

It doesn't say it directly, but I think this infers he was "instructed" to attend by the defence?

seafoid

If he was there on the instruction of the defence why did the explanation only come out on Monday, 5 days later? Why was it brought up in the rugby presser?
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

David McKeown

Quote from: AQMP on February 05, 2018, 05:26:42 PM

From the Irish Times report:

At the outset of Monday's hearing there was legal discussion of media reporting of how Mr Best attended the trial last Wednesday.  The court was told Mr Best attended the hearing because he was instructed to be present by lawyers involved in the case. The matter was raised by lawyers for the defence.  It was agreed that this fact should be reported by the press.

It doesn't say it directly, but I think this infers he was "instructed" to attend by the defence?

That suggests the opposite to me but regardless it still not clear if it was one of the defence seniors which one. I again go back to my earlier point that I am always reluctant to believe press reports of cases given previous experience
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner