The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deiseach

Speaking of England they're doing it again, i.e. setting a seemingly modest total, seeing the opposition charge off ahead of the required run rate then utterly murdering the middle and lower order. Bangladesh have lost five wickets for 14 in nine overs. They need 56 from 57 balls with only two wickets in hand

deiseach

And now Bangladesh get 10 off 2 balls! This is what you have to love about cricket, every ball has the potential for mayhem

deiseach

Some rearguard action from Bangladesh as nos 8 & 9 get them over the line! Great result for the tournament to have the hosts still interested

Denn Forever

Puts our performance in prespective.  Have to see how England do against WI to find out are we getting better.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

Bingo

Not a bad start today 90-odd for 4 against SA from 20ish overs. All the top order out.

Boycey

154-5 now after 33 overs. They have struggled to chase "reasonable" targets in this tournament though. The one exception was England when the target set looked unacheivable, maybe there is a tale there?r

Boycey

Went for a right few runs in the last 5 overs, going to be chasing 272

sammymaguire

Quote from: Boycey on March 15, 2011, 12:33:57 PM
Went for a right few runs in the last 5 overs, going to be chasing 272

looks like curtains for the boys in green, massive total to get against the South Africans  :-\
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Denn Forever

means what he says...

sammymaguire

DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Boycey

Found this on page 3, has the bandwagon broken down?

Chasing 307 but off to a fast start.

Declan

Billys Boots

That looked like a fairly comfortable win with the bat, after a poor bowling display.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

ludermor

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/cricket/counties/ireland/9428936.stm

Paul Stirling hit a century off 70 balls as Ireland bowed out of the World Cup with a stirring six-wicket victory over Netherlands in Kolkata.

Set 307 to win, Stirling (101) and William Porterfield (68) produced an opening stand of 177 from 162 balls.

Niall O'Brien (57 not out) helped wrap up the third highest run chase in World Cup history in the 48th over.

Earlier, Ryan ten Doeschate made 106 as Netherlands posted 306 all out, with four run outs off the last four balls.

Both sides went into the game knowing they could no longer qualify for the quarter-finals from Group B, with Ireland's victory over England the only other win by either side in the competition.

But the match will be remembered as the day when 20-year-old Stirling announced himself on the world stage with a scintillating innings featuring 14 fours and two sixes.

He and captain Porterfield raced to 81-0 in the mandatory 10-over powerplay as Stirling reached his fifty off 25 balls.

Porterfield, who faced 93 balls, did not bat as fluently as his opening partner and had been dropped twice before he was caught behind off Tom Cooper.

Stirling was out in the next over two balls after bringing up his hundred, giving the Netherlands a glimmer of hope.

But Ed Joyce and Niall O'Brien put on a quick 54 and Gary Wilson kept up the momentum with 27 from 21 balls.

It was left to Kevin O'Brien, Ireland's centurion against England, to finish things off with two sixes off Pieter Seelaar.

The Netherlands' innings was built on a 121-partnership between Ten Doeschate and his captain Peter Borren after Ireland had reduced the Dutch to 113-4, with Stirling taking two wickets.

Ten Doeschate's 108-ball innings included 13 fours and a six, moving him alongside South Africa's AB de Villiers and Sachin Tendulkar of India as the only players to score two hundreds at the tournament.

The innings ended in comical fashion as Atse Buurman, Mudassar Bukhari, Seelaar and Adeel Raja were run out off successive balls at the end of the 50th over.

How long wil lit be before England call up Dockrell and Sterling?

Denn Forever

I think they have enough spinners (Swan, Yardey, Treadwell) so I don't think they'd be coming for Dockrell.  I think they have enough batsmen as Morgan still isn't used in the Test Match team yet.

But lets face it, it would be hard to refuse if they are ambitious and ewant to play at the highest level.  Hope they would do well if they were called to the England set up.
means what he says...