The Cricket thread

Started by Gabriel_Hurl, March 05, 2007, 03:29:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michaelg

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 15, 2019, 09:53:04 PM
Spent about about 30 mins on Saturday evening watching cricket on the Mall in Armagh. Lovely stuff.
Lovely ground to play at, even if wicket's not great sometimes. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: michaelg on July 15, 2019, 09:58:44 PM
Spent about about 30 mins on Saturday evening watching cricket on the Mall in Armagh. Lovely stuff.
Lovely on Saturday in the sun. A nice pint would have topped it off.

Boycey

Trinity College is a top place to sit and watch too if youre about Dublin. On a sunny day there could be hundreds sitting round, drinking beer, picnicking, smoking a doobie, not too many of them watching the cricket mind  :) Nevertheless a fantastic place to people watch and take in the sound of willow on leather.

michaelg

Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 15, 2019, 10:10:01 PM
There's a bar there - Pretty sure they would have sorted you out with a pint

Tony Baloney

Quote from: michaelg on July 15, 2019, 10:22:30 PM
Quote from: Tony Baloney on July 15, 2019, 10:10:01 PM
There's a bar there - Pretty sure they would have sorted you out with a pint
Oh I know, I live 10 mins away. I was killing time to collect #2 son otherwise I'd have happily taken a pint.

michaelg

Any hurlers ever doubled up with cricket?  Always thought Cricket Ireland are missing a trick. Great hand eye coordination, reckon they would make good cricketers.

Boycey

Morgan played cricket in his youth..

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2019, 10:55:51 PM
Morgan played cricket in his youth..
Still plays a bit now I've heard.

BennyCake

Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2019, 10:15:26 PM
Trinity College is a top place to sit and watch too if youre about Dublin. On a sunny day there could be hundreds sitting round, drinking beer, picnicking, smoking a doobie, not too many of them watching the cricket mind  :) Nevertheless a fantastic place to people watch and take in the sound of willow on leather.

Remember Frank Skinner saying similar in an interview. He said he used to go to Edgbaston to watch it, but the cricket itself was just a side issue. Watch the man bat, applaud, then turn around to your mate, and say "so, what were you saying?"

nrico2006

Quote from: Fionntamhnach on July 15, 2019, 07:46:52 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2019, 02:06:43 PMExactly that. It's cricket. Played in a few pockets of Ireland, generally in middle/upper class areas.

Like Strabane?

Apologies in advance to all resident in the Democratic Peoples Republic of Strabanistan.

Cricket is played in lots of areas which are not upper class, such as Strabane, Lurgan, Coleraine, Bready, Donemana, Sion Mills, Portadown, Armagh, Downpatrick.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

omaghjoe

Quote from: BennyCake on July 15, 2019, 11:12:24 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2019, 10:15:26 PM

Remember Frank Skinner saying similar in an interview. He said he used to go to Edgbaston to watch it, but the cricket itself was just a side issue. Watch the man bat, applaud, then turn around to your mate, and say "so, what were you saying?"

Surprisingly as a Tyrone man my first experience of live cricket was in Africa....between west indies and Pakisrtan I think!
Expecting a snooze fest I was somewhat surprised at the lovely relaxed atmosphere and had a great time altogether.... even learned that England supporters can be alright sometimes.

I still dont really know the rules and have to relearn them every time cricket piques my interest. But I'd say this to anyone dissing it for whatever reason.......
....like baseball dont slang it until you've experienced a live match!

magpie seanie

Quote from: michaelg on July 15, 2019, 05:10:24 PM
Quote from: Boycey on July 15, 2019, 05:07:35 PM
Quote from: Denn Forever on July 15, 2019, 04:23:27 PM
I wonder who the Great World Cup team will lose out in the Ashes team?

From yesterdays team these are who WILL play imo

Roy - probably/possibly
Bairstow - definitely, wont open though
Root - Cert, captain they would prefer him at 4 though
Morgan - zero chance, that ship has long sailed
Stokes - yes
Buttler - yes
Woakes -maybe
Plunkett - no
Archer - Will play a couple of tests, not sure how much 4/5 dayers hes even played
Rashid - will get time during the series
Wood - as with Rashid

Others who will play a part some major some minor - Anderson, Broad, Curran, Foakes, Ali, Burns, Jennings
Most of the English team seem like decent enough guys - Anderson and Broad on the other hand...

Always thought Jimmy was as sound as they come. Agree on Broad.

magpie seanie

Was delighted Eoin Morgan captained England to the cricket World Cup. He has been instrumental in their transformation from a ho-hum cautious conservative side to the best in the one day game. He seems a really sound bloke as evidenced by his handling of an idiotic question afterwards so good luck to him. Dismissing cricket as an "English game" as many do is shortsighted. It's superb entertainment once you get waht's going on.

Owenmoresider

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2019, 11:32:02 AM
Was delighted Eoin Morgan captained England to the cricket World Cup. He has been instrumental in their transformation from a ho-hum cautious conservative side to the best in the one day game. He seems a really sound bloke as evidenced by his handling of an idiotic question afterwards so good luck to him. Dismissing cricket as an "English game" as many do is shortsighted. It's superb entertainment once you get waht's going on.
Aye, their disastrous WC campaign in 2015 was a major wake-up call for them, and they appear to have invested serious time and effort into developing the one day setup since then, and it has paid off.

NAG1

Quote from: magpie seanie on July 17, 2019, 11:32:02 AM

No issue with Morgan transferring over and fair play to him for his leadership and congrats on the win, but is it not galling to watch what we would consider a fellow Irishman standing to attention singing along to GSTQ? Even when some of his other foreign league of nations players do not?