Mick O'Dwyer

Started by Bud Wiser, November 05, 2007, 09:34:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Therealdonald

The best story I read about Micko was from his Laois time (I think). He had the boys running incessant laps, so the captain or one of the boys asked Micko could they not change the training...he proceeded to tell them ''yeah thats fine. Turn around and run the other direction.'' On the other hand, I think he's the most over-rated GAA personality in the history of the sport.

AZOffaly

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 08, 2018, 07:38:59 PM
The best story I read about Micko was from his Laois time (I think). He had the boys running incessant laps, so the captain or one of the boys asked Micko could they not change the training...he proceeded to tell them ''yeah thats fine. Turn around and run the other direction.'' On the other hand, I think he's the most over-rated GAA personality in the history of the sport.

I wouldn't be a big fan of Micko and I think his mercenary streak in his later years taint him for me, but it's harsh to call him overrated. His record speaks for itself and keeping that Kerry team motivated and hungry was an achievement itself. His greatest feat may have been coming back for another 3 in a row after sickening losses in 82 😀 and 83.

Captain Obvious

Micko the most overrated GAA personality.. good one therealdonald  ;D  ;D  ;D

Syferus

You'd happily listen to Micko telling stories for the rest of your life.

Cunny Funt

Good watch that was. Old age is certainly a curse.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Cunny Funt on January 08, 2018, 10:35:56 PM
Good watch that was. Old age is certainly a curse.

It's a curse alright. But it's also a blessing to see it!

LooseCannon

Quote from: Syferus on January 08, 2018, 10:27:35 PM
You'd happily listen to Micko telling stories for the rest of your life.

An audiobook of his life and times would be unreal.
Read by him.

larryin89

Felt a bit emotional watching if im honest, what a gael.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

T Fearon

Great documentary.The most successful GAA player and manager there ever will be

Targetman

How anyone could call Mick O Dwyer and his achievements overrated is beyond me, really enjoyed the documentary, he had Kerry training for 27 days in a row, surely some of the current county set ups could beat that!!

BallyroanAbu

Mercenary or Angel Sent From Heaven
Laois had some notions giving him the sack
3 Leinster Finals, won one for the first time in 50 odd years

Therealdonald

Quote from: Targetman on January 08, 2018, 11:23:03 PM
How anyone could call Mick O Dwyer and his achievements overrated is beyond me, really enjoyed the documentary, he had Kerry training for 27 days in a row, surely some of the current county set ups could beat that!!

He was in charge of a extremely talented bunch of players. He had 3 games to win each year to win the All Ireland, in some years he only had 2. There were 9 counties basically excluded from winning the All-Ireland because of the conflict in the North.

Add in his mercenary streak and we get an over-rated Gael.

Syferus

Quote from: Therealdonald on January 08, 2018, 11:48:45 PM
Quote from: Targetman on January 08, 2018, 11:23:03 PM

He was in charge of a extremely talented bunch of players. He had 3 games to win each year to win the All Ireland, in some years he only had 2. There were 9 counties basically excluded from winning the All-Ireland because of the conflict in the North.

Add in his mercenary streak and we get an over-rated Gael.

They see me trollin'..

larryin89

Blah blah and how did any county manage to win an all ireland at all  in the few years when there was conflict all over the country ?
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .