8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

10. Paul Mannion (Dublin)

11. Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin)

12. Ryan McHugh (Donegal)

13. David Clifford (Kerry)

14. Damien Comer (Galway)

15. Conor McManus (Monaghan)

Comer wasn't even Galway's best ffs. Such an over-rated player, still just a big lump, who has now developed the ability to go down with the slightest touch. Dan Flynn who scored probably the 2 goals of the championship, 3 if you include his one against Fermanagh, would be ahead of him for me for one.

Just clueless.

Comer is one of the best forwards in the game and yet there's still many aspects of his game he can improve on.

I agree in many a game he was, he was terrible on the big stage bar a lucky goal and even luckier point against Dublin, he just failed to deliver, over-hyped because of his size. Reminds me of Niall Sheridan from Longford, although Niall could play a bit.

People are allowed different opinions btw. I think Galway supporters are definitely the most precious, Tyrone though are running them close.

You're clearly just a muppet so. A lucky goal when he wins a high ball amongst 3 Dubs. Wins a penalty and a tap over free also, off about 6 balls kicked into him and a full time sweeper in front. Terrible indeed

Some Kildare people are still very sore from the defeat by Galway, not all though.

Comer won't get an All Star but he had a very good year; He was superb in the league but probably didn't hit the heights in the championship but still contributed a lot. Comer became one of the top forwards in the game during 2018 but still think he can get a lot better. He can improve his movement and there's times when he can move the ball and probably needs to learn to be less selfish at times but he's only turned 24 and this was the first year that full forward really became the position he settled on. As you state he's nearly always double marked whilst Ian Burke never is which is clearly going to have a major impact on boths contributions.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Manning18 on September 05, 2018, 11:29:29 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2018, 11:14:58 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 05, 2018, 10:39:03 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2018, 09:57:07 AM
Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on September 04, 2018, 07:13:06 PM
Peter Canavan's Team of the Year:

1. Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

3. Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

5. James McCarthy (Dublin)

6. Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone)

7. Jack McCaffrey (Dublin)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Comer wasn't even Galway's best ffs. Such an over-rated player, still just a big lump, who has now developed the ability to go down with the slightest touch. Dan Flynn who scored probably the 2 goals of the championship, 3 if you include his one against Fermanagh, would be ahead of him for me for one.

Just clueless.

Comer is one of the best forwards in the game and yet there's still many aspects of his game he can improve on.

I agree in many a game he was, he was terrible on the big stage bar a lucky goal and even luckier point against Dublin, he just failed to deliver, over-hyped because of his size. Reminds me of Niall Sheridan from Longford, although Niall could play a bit.

People are allowed different opinions btw. I think Galway supporters are definitely the most precious, Tyrone though are running them close.

You're clearly just a muppet so. A lucky goal when he wins a high ball amongst 3 Dubs. Wins a penalty and a tap over free also, off about 6 balls kicked into him and a full time sweeper in front. Terrible indeed

Serious levels of preciousness, man disagrees with my opinion, I am so insecure I must call him a muppet to validate my manliness. It was a lucky goal, Cluxton f*cked up, pretty obvious to anyone with 2 eyes.

A lucky goal and point against Dublin
1 point against Monaghan
Decent display against Kildare, 3 points and some of the judges gave him 5.6 for some of his dives, loss points for artistic merit
1 point against Kerry

Hardly scoring performances for one of the best "full forwards" in the game.

Shane Walsh and Ian Burke would be in the conversation if you were picking an Irish front six, Comer way down the pecking order.

Would you like a tissue?
#newbridgeornowhere

GalwayBayBoy

In fairness to Comer he was probably the only forward who consistently gave Dublin real trouble all year between the league final and the AI semi-final. He just didn't get enough steady possession to cause even more problems for them in those games. He had a few quiestish games too though like against Kerry and Monaghan (where in fairness nobody turned up really).

I think Walsh is more likely to collect an All-Star though if Galway get one. You could argue Burke as well.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 05, 2018, 11:42:12 AM

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

Some Kildare people are still very sore from the defeat by Galway, not all though.

Comer won't get an All Star but he had a very good year; He was superb in the league but probably didn't hit the heights in the championship but still contributed a lot. Comer became one of the top forwards in the game during 2018 but still think he can get a lot better. He can improve his movement and there's times when he can move the ball and probably needs to learn to be less selfish at times but he's only turned 24 and this was the first year that full forward really became the position he settled on. As you state he's nearly always double marked whilst Ian Burke never is which is clearly going to have a major impact on boths contributions.

I am not sore, congratulated Galway and felt the best team won, I did highlight Galways dark arts and some Galway supporters displayed levels of preciousness on this board unseen on this board since the days of the Cheeky Dubs.

If you think Comer has a higher ceiling then I hope he reaches it, interviews well and comes across as a good lad, I just don't rate him. Maybe the hype has put a burden on him and his young shoulders couldn't handle it especially if he didn't have the strongest underage pedigree. If some called Dan Flynn or Kevin Feeley over-rated, sobeit, we all have like opinons man!
#newbridgeornowhere

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Dinny Breen on September 05, 2018, 12:26:29 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on September 05, 2018, 11:42:12 AM

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

I am not sore, congratulated Galway and felt the best team won, I did highlight Galways dark arts and some Galway supporters displayed levels of preciousness on this board unseen on this board since the days of the Cheeky Dubs.

If you think Comer has a higher ceiling then I hope he reaches it, interviews well and comes across as a good lad, I just don't rate him. Maybe the hype has put a burden on him and his young shoulders couldn't handle it especially if he didn't have the strongest underage pedigree. If some called Dan Flynn or Kevin Feeley over-rated, sobeit, we all have like opinons man!

Ah this auld "preciousness" narrative from Dinny again, the hypocrisy of the whingeing from some Kildare fans was called out at the time as anyone with two eyes who was at the match could have seen that the off the ball stuff was dealt out by both teams, as it is in every top level match. In response Galway fans were then called precious by yourself, that was the height of it.

More on topic, Comer won't get, and doesn't deserve, an All Star this year. Shane Walsh is the only Galway player in with a shout of one.

bennydorano

Scores from play is not the only indicator of a Top forward, how many frees was he responsible for winning? A lot of the time forwards are nailed in the danger zones before getting a shot off. It's regularly overlooked.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: bennydorano on September 05, 2018, 01:14:43 PM
Scores from play is not the only indicator of a Top forward, how many frees was he responsible for winning? A lot of the time forwards are nailed in the danger zones before getting a shot off. It's regularly overlooked.

Ian Burke was the architect in chief. He created far more chances than Comer.
#newbridgeornowhere

square_ball

m

A bugbear of mine is when a defender is praised for keeping his man scoreless when what the attacker done in terms of scores created, frees one etc is ignored. Too simplistic of an analysis.

Mayo4Sam14

2. Jonny Cooper (Dublin)

4. Drew Wylie (Monaghan)

8. Brian Fenton (Dublin)

9. Brian Howard (Dublin)

Just clueless.

Didn't help that he was pulled back wing back most the time, one of the most dangerous forwards in the final third
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

Jinxy

Quote from: square_ball on September 05, 2018, 01:52:33 PM
m

A bugbear of mine is when a defender is praised for keeping his man scoreless when what the attacker done in terms of scores created, frees one etc is ignored. Too simplistic of an analysis.

That's a godsend in club football though when your mates are reading the match reports.
They don't put assists in brackets after the forwards name.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Manning18

Not altogether relevant, but anyway...Comer the unskillful lump is putting on an exhibition in a club hurling game tonight. The most skillful game of all we're told and one he barely plays

timmyot501

All star nominations out this morning

Goalkeepers: Graham Brody (Laois), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders: Ryan Wylie (Monaghan), Drew Wylie (Monaghan), Karl O'Connell (Monaghan), Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Eoin Murchan (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), James McCarthy (Dublin), Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Galway), Seán Kelly (Galway), Eoin Kerin (Galway), Eoin Doyle (Kildare), Peter Harte (Tyrone), Tiernan McCann (Tyrone), Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone), Michael McKernan (Tyrone), Gavin White (Kerry), Che Cullen (Fermanagh), Eoghan Bán Gallagher (Donegal).

Midfielders: Brian Fenton (Dublin), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone), Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Niall Kearns (Monaghan), Thomas Flynn (Galway).

Forwards: Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Paul Mannion (Dublin), Brian Howard (Dublin), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Con O'Callaghan (Dublin), Dean Rock (Dublin), Niall Scully (Dublin), Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Paul Broderick (Carlow), Rory Grugan (Armagh), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Ryan McAnespie (Monaghan), Ian Burke (Galway), Shane Walsh (Galway), Damien Comer (Galway), David Clifford (Kerry), Paul Cribbin (Kildare), Daniel Flynn (Kildare).

seafoid

Quote from: timmyot501 on September 12, 2018, 08:04:00 AM
All star nominations out this morning

Goalkeepers: Graham Brody (Laois), Stephen Cluxton (Dublin), Rory Beggan (Monaghan)

Defenders: Ryan Wylie (Monaghan), Drew Wylie (Monaghan), Karl O'Connell (Monaghan), Jonny Cooper (Dublin), Eoin Murchan (Dublin), Jack McCaffrey (Dublin), James McCarthy (Dublin), Sean Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Galway), Seán Kelly (Galway), Eoin Kerin (Galway), Eoin Doyle (Kildare), Peter Harte (Tyrone), Tiernan McCann (Tyrone), Pádraig Hampsey (Tyrone), Michael McKernan (Tyrone), Gavin White (Kerry), Che Cullen (Fermanagh), Eoghan Bán Gallagher (Donegal).

Midfielders: Brian Fenton (Dublin), Colm Cavanagh (Tyrone), Mattie Donnelly (Tyrone), Michael Murphy (Donegal), Niall Kearns (Monaghan), Thomas Flynn (Galway).

Forwards: Ryan McHugh (Donegal), Paul Mannion (Dublin), Brian Howard (Dublin), Ciarán Kilkenny (Dublin), Con O'Callaghan (Dublin), Dean Rock (Dublin), Niall Scully (Dublin), Niall Sludden (Tyrone), Paul Broderick (Carlow), Rory Grugan (Armagh), Conor McManus (Monaghan), Ryan McAnespie (Monaghan), Ian Burke (Galway), Shane Walsh (Galway), Damien Comer (Galway), David Clifford (Kerry), Paul Cribbin (Kildare), Daniel Flynn (Kildare).
Nice to see Brody from Laois and Broderick from Carlow being nominated. No Rossies. That is the problem with getting an easy Connacht semi.

Only 2 Kerry nominees- very few would have predicted that at the start of the season
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

jb81

Amazed Conor McAliskey didn't gert nominated. Don't think he would have got one. But second highest scorer assumed he would get nominated.

priceyreilly