Can I get a UK passport?

Started by Shamrock Shore, December 22, 2011, 11:24:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shamrock Shore

Now - it's not that I want one. I am just curious.

All 4 grandparents born between 1890 and 1905. Long before partition etc. None born in what became the '6 counties'

Both parents born pre 1937. Again both born in Eire/Free State/26 counties. So pre Constitution and declaration of Republic in 1948.

If I wanted to peg my Irish passport in the bin would I qualify for a UK one?

Shamrock Shore

I assume that's the baxer from Clones?

brokencrossbar1

He was Barney eastwoods lovechild that's why!

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: Shamrock Shore on December 22, 2011, 11:24:42 AM

All 4 grandparents born between 1890 and 1905. Long before partition etc. None born in what became the '6 counties'

Both parents born pre 1937. Again both born in Eire/Free State/26 counties. So pre Constitution and declaration of Republic in 1948.

Only if your parents took up their right to a U.K. passport, if they never took up this right, you no longer have the right to British citizenship.
Time to take a more chill-pill approach to life.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 22, 2011, 12:33:53 PM

Only if your parents took up their right to a U.K. passport, if they never took up this right, you no longer have the right to British citizenship.

I think if you are in Fine Gael you are entitled to one also.

Applesisapples

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

mayogodhelpus@gmail.com

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 22, 2011, 01:17:56 PM

I think if you are in Fine Gael from Ulster you are entitled to one also.

mylestheslasher

Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 22, 2011, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: Sh. amrock Shore on December 22, 2011, 11:24:42 AM

Afraid not, going by the rules you quoted above I would not be entitled to a brit passport. However, I'm impressed you were looking into it. Did you manage to get one yourself? I think your fellow county man and party man Michael ring was also trying for one. You might be able to help him out.

LeoMc

Only if you maake a donation to a suitably connected member of the cabinet.

JUst retired

There is an easier way. Marry a Brit,and get Bishop Buckley to perform the wedding. ;)

Nally Stand

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 22, 2011, 07:00:37 PM
Quote from: mayogodhelpus@gmail.com on December 22, 2011, 05:59:32 PM
Quote from: Sh. amrock Shore on December 22, 2011, 11:24:42 AM

Afraid not, going by the rules you quoted above I would not be entitled to a brit passport. However, I'm impressed you were looking into it. Did you manage to get one yourself? I think your fellow county man and party man Michael ring was also trying for one. You might be able to help him out.

Once again MGHU demonstrates his deep-seeded partitionism. Believing Ulster has only six counties? He could find himself with a job as chief headline writer for the Belfast Telegraph if he's not careful. They seem to have it in their contract that "Ulster" (in the six county sense) must appear in around 90% of front page headlines, so MGHU is the man for the task.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

mylestheslasher

Nally - I think he was just trying to get the rise out of me (or at least I hope he was) although I was once called a foreign bastard in Castlebar once and told to go home to my own country so you know maybe its a Mayo thing?

Nally Stand

Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 23, 2011, 09:48:03 AM
Nally - I think he was just trying to get the rise out of me (or at least I hope he was) although I was once called a foreign b**tard in Castlebar once and told to go home to my own country so you know maybe its a Mayo thing?

I think it's not just Mayo. It seems to be Galway too. Went there a few years back. Sober as a judge and got turned away from two bars in one night upon showing my ID. One of those bars I got the same response you did..."f**k off back to your own country", the other the doorman just explained awfully politely that they didn't want "nordies" about.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

gallsman

Quote from: Nally Stand on December 23, 2011, 10:14:06 AM
Quote from: mylestheslasher on December 23, 2011, 09:48:03 AM
Nally - I think he was just trying to get the rise out of me (or at least I hope he was) although I was once called a foreign b**tard in Castlebar once and told to go home to my own country so you know maybe its a Mayo thing?

I think it's not just Mayo. It seems to be Galway too. Went there a few years back. Sober as a judge and got turned away from two bars in one night upon showing my ID. One of those bars I got the same response you did..."f**k off back to your own country", the other the doorman just explained awfully politely that they didn't want "nordies" about.

Considering how frequently you denigrate the south as the Free State, do you not see a hint of irony or hypocrisy in this?