FAI...Spring friendlies for Interim Manager - Belgium/Swiss

Started by Cúig huaire, November 19, 2009, 01:34:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleaflad

Quote from: BennyCake on December 02, 2018, 06:08:21 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 02, 2018, 05:39:11 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on December 02, 2018, 05:36:12 PM
Quote from: Cunny Funt on December 02, 2018, 05:29:05 PM
A play off for 3rd in the group? as i would expect Switzerland, Denmark to finish ahead of Ireland in the group.

Denmark are no big shakes. Three 0-0 results this last year, two when Ireland were playing absolute dung. Ireland should be aiming for that 2nd spot.

This Irish side are dung and i don't see that changing much under McCarthy

Yeah but what does three nil-nils say about Denmark?
They have two good players and one is their keeper. Plenty of their first team wouldn't be near Premiership standard either.

seafoid

Depends on what Mick McCarthy can do with the players. Switzerland are technically good but no world beaters.
Denmark are a bit like a club football team with a few county stars and then some very ordinary players.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Itchy

Quote from: seafoid on December 03, 2018, 12:19:30 PM
Depends on what Mick McCarthy can do with the players. Switzerland are technically good but no world beaters.
Denmark are a bit like a club football team with a few county stars and then some very ordinary players.

Aye but we are a club football team with no county players.

Look we are the 3rd best team in the group and will have to beat one of the top two at home and try to scrap draws away. It is possible we could do it but it does mean we have to beat the two weaker teams home and away. Georgia away is a huge game.

weareros

Wouldn't build the Swiss up too much. They were very lucky to scrape past NI to qualify for the WC with a disputed penalty. While they have had some eye catching results (5-2 over flakey Belgium), they also lost a recent friendly 1-0 to Quatar. Denmark are also a team in slow decline. Good thing is we have a bit of history to overcome with each of them to give us a bit of the needle we will need. Would be horrid embarrassing not to qualify as one of the many hosts.

BennyCake

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on December 03, 2018, 10:13:11 AM
A play off for 3rd in the group? as i would expect Switzerland, Denmark to finish ahead of Ireland in the group.

Denmark are no big shakes. Three 0-0 results this last year, two when Ireland were playing absolute dung. Ireland should be aiming for that 2nd spot.

That even at our lowest ebb we were hard to beat.

Well yeah, there is that. But if Mick can instil a bit of belief, there's no reason why Ireland can't beat Denmark (and Switzerland) at home, and get a draw away.

thewobbler

Quote from: BennyCake on December 03, 2018, 01:34:33 PM

Well yeah, there is that. But if Mick can instil a bit of belief, there's no reason why Ireland can't beat Denmark (and Switzerland) at home, and get a draw away.

It's the hope that kills you

Baile Brigín 2

Agreed. Plus the added carrot that if we qualify we play in Dublin.

seafoid

Quote from: Itchy on December 03, 2018, 12:38:43 PM
Quote from: seafoid on December 03, 2018, 12:19:30 PM

Aye but we are a club football team with no county players.

Look we are the 3rd best team in the group and will have to beat one of the top two at home and try to scrap draws away. It is possible we could do it but it does mean we have to beat the two weaker teams home and away. Georgia away is a huge game.
We are, Itchy, but the other 2 are nothing to write home about. I think it is the best group we could have hoped for and that everything is to play for. 
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Captain Obvious

Denmark and Switzerland are nothing great and if the Irish were even a bit decent I would agree but there is two solid reasons why the Irish probably won't do that. The many poor quality players and an average manager.

BennyCake

Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 03, 2018, 06:27:29 PM

Denmark and Switzerland are nothing great and if the Irish were even a bit decent I would agree but there is two solid reasons why the Irish probably won't do that. The many poor quality players and an average manager.

The team is basically the same as what beat Germany and got to the last 16 of the Euros. And that was under O'Neill. Considering the last year under MON was disastrous, Mick can't be as bad surely.

imtommygunn

The team is a good few short. Long has barely scored a goal since then. Mccarthy who was a major influence and has barely played since. Jonny walters stopped and John o'shea has stopped. Those guys have not even been close to been replaced.

We have as good a draw as we could get but those teams will come to dublin expecting bare minimum a draw and definitely wins at home. There is hope but it is more hope than expectation.

From the Bunker

Quote from: BennyCake on December 03, 2018, 06:47:32 PM
Quote from: Captain Obvious on December 03, 2018, 06:27:29 PM

The team that beat Germany had Given, O'Shea, Houlihan, Jonny Walters. We had a more in form Shane long and Hendrick. Players like Robbie Brady, McCarthy and Coleman are only coming back from serious injuries and time will tell if they hit old form.

We are not the same as 3 years ago!

The team is basically the same as what beat Germany and got to the last 16 of the Euros. And that was under O'Neill. Considering the last year under MON was disastrous, Mick can't be as bad surely.

rodney trotter

Walters hasn't retired from international football, just injured. Though he is 35 and not the player he was.
Mccarthy meeting Declan Rice in the next few weeks. He could declare for Ireland yet. Be interesting to see if Obafemi will get chances under the new Southampton manager. He had a young team at leipzig

BennyCake

I wouldn't chase after Rice. The fact he has even expressed interest in representing England would be enough for me.

From the Bunker

The team that beat Germany had Given, O'Shea, Houlihan, Jonny Walters. We had a more in form Shane long and Hendrick. Players like Robbie Brady, McCarthy and Coleman are only coming back from serious injuries and time will tell if they hit old form.

We are not the same as 3 years ago!