The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 17, 2018, 08:33:44 AM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 17, 2018, 06:37:45 AM
In time honoured Irish tradition the team that wants it more will win it.

Passion!

If there's anything at all in England, it will come out today. I know the players won't be taken in by the confidence in the media etc. but I'm fearful of England in London. I'm going to say England rain on our parade like we did to them previously.

Syferus, if you think the players look at a potential Grand Slam as you do, a nice bonus but job done already, then you are mental.

We'll beat them well today. They're in disarray making 10 changes and low in confidence. We've a settled side and full of confidence. They'll be fired up and fresh but we should wear them down and see the game out comfortably.

AZOffaly

Quote from: lenny on March 17, 2018, 08:38:56 AM

Passion!

If there's anything at all in England, it will come out today. I know the players won't be taken in by the confidence in the media etc. but I'm fearful of England in London. I'm going to say England rain on our parade like we did to them previously.

Syferus, if you think the players look at a potential Grand Slam as you do, a nice bonus but job done already, then you are mental.

We'll beat them well today. They're in disarray making 10 changes and low in confidence. We've a settled side and full of confidence. They'll be fired up and fresh but we should wear them down and see the game out comfortably.

I see a war of attrition in difficult conditions. England in an arm wrestle are hard to beat.

passedit

Just heading to the game now. It's absolutely baltic in London. Absolute slugfest coming. traveling in hope rather than expectation
Don't Panic

Dinny Breen

Quote from: AZOffaly on March 17, 2018, 08:46:42 AM
Quote from: lenny on March 17, 2018, 08:38:56 AM

Passion!

I see a war of attrition in difficult conditions. England in an arm wrestle are hard to beat.

That would be my take which is why I am disappointed Farrell is starting at 10. Probably the best 10 in Europe and will give England control that has been lacking, no surprise that he has paired with his club 9 as well.

Peter O'Mahony really needs to step it up today, himself Stander and Leavy will be the key in defence if they can dominate their direct opponents I think we will suck the life out of England's power game. This could be a repeat of Paris with Ireland leaving it late where Pro14 fitness levels kick in and a tired England team hand Ireland the grand slam...
#newbridgeornowhere

Hardy

Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 04:24:23 AM
Quote from: Asal Mor on March 17, 2018, 04:05:13 AM
Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 02:51:29 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 17, 2018, 01:02:27 AM
Play their straight up the middle game in the first half because it will be attrition to start with.
Hopefully tire the English out, go in half time level or slightly up, and open up in the second half.
It will be the greatest Irish victory of all time if they win at Twickenham tomorrow.

Ya what. The tournament is already won. There's literally dozens of wins that we've had in recent years that would be bigger than this one.

It won't even be the greatest Irish victory against England in 12 months if we do it.
I'd doubt there's one Irish player who would agree with that, but sure what would they know? Aside from the World Cup quarter-final, this will be the biggest international game they have played in.

The quality of your takes on rugby players leave a hell of a lot to be desired.

To the other poster - playing and beating a England team down in the dumps with only pride to play for isn't the same as playing one going for a Grand Slam on the crest of a 20 game or so winning streak.

The trinket for us is bigger this year in that we can collect the imaginary title of Grand Slam champions but there have been many bigger matches Ireland have faced over the last ten or fifteen years.

If this was two unbeaten teams going to head to head for a Six Nations and a Grand Slam you may have had some case, as it stands it's the champions against a team without even a winning record on the season. And if we lose it doesn't change much at all. The only pressure on players is to get their Grand Slam bonuses. This is not the climatic match it was advertised to be at the start of the season.

They say it is going to be very cold, though.

GaillimhIarthair

It's going to be an absolute slug fest in the conditions - huge performances required from our back row in particular.  I would agree with Dinny, our better fitness levels could see us through late on - fingernails will be well bitten by around 4.30 or so!!

imtommygunn

Quote from: Hardy on March 17, 2018, 11:16:01 AM

They say it is going to be very cold, though.

;D ;D

Using big words is tough sometimes ;D

Lar Naparka

Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 02:51:29 AM
Quote from: BarryBreensBandage on March 17, 2018, 01:02:27 AM
Play their straight up the middle game in the first half because it will be attrition to start with.
Hopefully tire the English out, go in half time level or slightly up, and open up in the second half.
It will be the greatest Irish victory of all time if they win at Twickenham tomorrow.

Ya what. The tournament is already won. There's literally dozens of wins that we've had in recent years that would be bigger than this one.

It won't even be the greatest Irish victory against England in 12 months if we do it.
That's a matter of opinion Syf and right now you appear to be on your own as per usual.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Syferus

"Greatest Irish victory of all time"

This is looking like the easiest win of the tournament at the moment..

screenexile

Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 03:16:58 PM

Your knowledge of rugby surpassed by your knowledge of law  ::)

Syferus

Quote from: screenexile on March 17, 2018, 03:27:27 PM

Did you look at the score?

Tony Baloney

Quote from: Syferus on March 17, 2018, 03:29:38 PM
Quote from: screenexile on March 17, 2018, 03:27:27 PM

Did you look at the score?
By no means over Syf. Not by a long chalk.

galwayman

There's only 9 points in it ffs.
A converted try and a penalty surpasses that.
So hardly the "easiest win of the tournament".

Tony Baloney

Ref getting fed up with England so they'll have a man binned in the second half.

Captain Obvious

Lucky enough try right on half time. Hard to see the Irish letting this lead slip now.