Any chance of a lift

Started by tiempo, August 11, 2014, 11:41:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tiempo

One of the great GAA phrases, its a wonder there aren't rules to govern the giving and receiving of lifts within the Association rule book. We all know the men and women who would never refuse the chance to give a lift from A to B to a fellow Gael, in a way they live to give a good lift, relish it, you never know it might just make the difference come the end of the year.

Then there's the ones asking for lifts, generally the young, those not yet ready to drive, stood at the side of the road getting pished on, or those in their 20's too idle to learn to drive, or those who drive but detest the burden.

Lest we forget those ready willing and able to give a lift but every man and their dog knows person A has a shite sence of direction, they couldn't give a lift away.

What's your best lift memories/stories, any controversial lift stories, puke lifts, lifts of the decade? AAAAAwwwwww, wat.

T Fearon

Was offered a lift by a Donegal man once . Unfortunately as soon as he movec forward his vehicle was surrounded by fellow Donegal men and he had to reverse.

magpie seanie

There are of course the men who refuse to take a lift and insist on driving. They just can't sit still as a passenger. Or the watered down version who takes a lift but constantly criticises the driver for not passing out quick enough, taking the wrong route etc....

DoireGael

U-12 getting a lift up up to the field on the back of a TVO Link box, we used to wait at the chip shop for a lift up. Battered sausage on route for the big game.

The Real Tony Moran

Quote from: T Fearon on August 11, 2014, 06:05:33 PM
Was offered a lift by a Donegal man once . Unfortunately as soon as he movec forward his vehicle was surrounded by fellow Donegal men and he had to reverse.

I remember back in early 80's giving Fearon and some other portadown lad a lift to breffni. We stopped at a watering hole on the way home. Fearon had 3 shandies and pissed himself in the back seat of my car. He still owes me 5 pounds for valet costs.

under the bar

A well known Derry midfielder managed to sh*g a bird, puke out the window and sh*t himself all in the same journey  in my car from The Elk to J'town in the early 90's.   Cleaning bill paid in punts on way to Siegerson match next day!!

fearglasmor

Got a lift once from Rhonda Paisley. Big Ian's young wan. I was thumbing from Nth Co Dublin to Dundalk RTC
Think she was doing a tv show on RTE at the time. Nice lady.

orangeman

Quote from: under the bar on August 16, 2014, 01:35:08 AM
A well known Derry midfielder managed to sh*g a bird, puke out the window and sh*t himself all in the same journey  in my car from The Elk to J'town in the early 90's.   Cleaning bill paid in punts on way to Siegerson match next day!!

Nice that.

bigpaul

When I think of lifts, I always go back to the years when I was between 6 and 13. Me and a couple of friends stood every Sunday as the team gathered, we waited for some-one to offer us a lift to the match, it  only happened about twice, and we were usually split up with two left at home! Now I look on as the wee shits today are drawn about to Croke Park and restaurants for after-match meals!!! Ah for the good old days!!! I blame the GPA!!!