GAA video game

Started by CorkMan, August 11, 2014, 08:16:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CorkMan

Mojopin Studios from Armagh are developing 'All Star Gaelic Football' for PC, Xbox One and PS4. They've had Darren Hughes and Mattie Donnelly involved doing Motion Capture and they say it's going to be the best gaelic football game ever. That wouldn't be too hard as the last one was a disaster. I'm very excited for this game. It could be a great promotion for the game.

Syferus

Quote from: CorkMan on August 11, 2014, 08:16:25 PM
Mojopin Studios from Armagh are developing 'All Star Gaelic Football' for PC, Xbox One and PS4. They've had Darren Hughes and Mattie Donnelly involved doing Motion Capture and they say it's going to be the best gaelic football game ever. That wouldn't be too hard as the last one was a disaster. I'm very excited for this game. It could be a great promotion for the game.

Do they have the official license? If the GAA and GPA have any sense they'd be giving it for a pittance. A decent game would promote the game in ways other advertising and initiatives never could. The previous games didn't even have player names, just the stadia and the counties. Even if they don't have the license they can at least use the public domain county council logos and colours and names of the counties.

Last game was a re-skin of a rugby game by Australian developers - I'd have much higher hopes of a game from Ireland, the knowledge needed to get the basics right should be readily available. A bit of passion alone would put it far above the soulless experience that was GAA Football 1 and 2.

How far into development is it? How big a studio is Mojopin?

And please, please, please get Willie Hegarty on commentary, he'd probably do it for an Everton season ticket too.. ;D

laoislad

Would prefer a hurling one.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

CorkMan

Quote from: Syferus on August 11, 2014, 08:56:16 PM
Quote from: CorkMan on August 11, 2014, 08:16:25 PM

Do they have the official license? If the GAA and GPA have any sense they'd be giving it for a pittance. A decent game would promote the game in ways other advertising and initiatives never could. The previous games didn't even have player names, just the stadia and the counties. Even if they don't have the license they can at least use the public domain county council logos and colours and names of the counties.

Last game was a re-skin of a rugby game by Australian developers - I'd have much higher hopes of a game from Ireland, the knowledge needed to get the basics right should be readily available. A bit of passion alone would put it far above the soulless experience that was GAA Football 1 and 2.

How far into development is it? How big a studio is Mojopin?

And please, please, please get Willie Hegarty on commentary, he'd probably do it for an Everton season ticket too.. ;D

It's not that long in development as far as I know. They said on Twitter they're working on licenses. Find them on Facebook, they're looking for help rating players.

Theyve said on twitter they hope to expand into hurling (handball and rounders too, actually) Laoislad.

rosnarun

handball and rounders would be much eaier to do as they would similarites  with existing Squash and baseball games .
but Football is very much its own game.
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

I think they used the Aussie Rules game engine for the last one that game out. To be honest I didn't hate it as much as other people.

rosnarun

THE Aussie Rules game was better. quiet playable but the reaction time in both Football and hurling took an awful lot away from it
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

AZOffaly

That's just ye Mayo lads. I had my bucks flying.

Aristo 60

If football counties were video games....

Down - Tetris - used to be simply brilliant but too simple for the current age

Donegal - Plants v Zombies II - Classic tower defence appraoch. Pack your defence with your entire team - let the zombies get mown down as they approach the 'D'

Dublin - Grand Theft Auto V - smash and grab, run everyone over, best there is out there, for now.

Kerry - Mario - Have been successful down through the generations.

Meath - Streetfighter II - brutal men, would take your teeth for trophies

Tyrone - Call of Duty Franchise - Always seem to be at war with everyone. Players often wounded in battle only for health to quickly regenerate allowing them to play on. Latest offerings not as strong as mid noughties.

Mayo - MIG 29 Super Fulcrum - you always know they'll crash sometime.

My opinion only. Any others?

mylestheslasher

Davy Fitz is a bit like Super Mario, always jumping around the place.

thejuice

For a sport that is only in its infancy in terms of its adaption to the video game world they should focus on playability and fun rather than trying to recreate the game too realistically. The realism can come later. 

Game players can forgive a lack of accurate details but as we saw with the earlier incarnations if it doesn't play well they might as well not bother.

Sensible Soccer being a prime example of this.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Under Lights

Quote from: Aristo 60 on August 12, 2014, 12:54:44 PM
If football counties were video games....

Down - Tetris - used to be simply brilliant but too simple for the current age

Donegal - Plants v Zombies II - Classic tower defence appraoch. Pack your defence with your entire team - let the zombies get mown down as they approach the 'D'

Dublin - Grand Theft Auto V - smash and grab, run everyone over, best there is out there, for now.

Kerry - Mario - Have been successful down through the generations.

Meath - Streetfighter II - brutal men, would take your teeth for trophies

Tyrone - Call of Duty Franchise - Always seem to be at war with everyone. Players often wounded in battle only for health to quickly regenerate allowing them to play on. Latest offerings not as strong as mid noughties.

Mayo - MIG 29 Super Fulcrum - you always know they'll crash sometime.

My opinion only. Any others?

:D :D :D Great Work