The GAA - has it lost , did it ever have, a ‘radical/Republican’ connection?

Started by theticklemister, January 28, 2018, 09:36:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

With the British GAA having their reception in Westminster, to add to other recent events, has the GAA lost its 'radical' edge; or in fact did it ever have 'this?'

I'm curious to see what the posters think.

rrhf

Most clubs project their community. For richer for poorer.. politics needs to be kept away from the committee table.

Syferus

They still play the national anthem before matches. Get rid. Sport is supposed to be inclusive and not divisive.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: theticklemister on January 28, 2018, 09:36:37 AM
With the British GAA having their reception in Westminster, to add to other recent events, has the GAA lost its 'radical' edge; or in fact did it ever have 'this?'

I'm curious to see what the posters think.

They lost their radical edge the day they allowed bishops throw the ball in.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Syferus on January 28, 2018, 01:20:54 PM
They still play the national anthem before matches. Get rid. Sport is supposed to be inclusive and not divisive.

Yes, has to be one of the most annoying traditions left! Have it just for a provincial final or AI final.

ONARAGGATIP

The Gaa is much much more than just sport, how is the playing of the national anthem divisive? As for the gaa being radically republican, as a whole I don't believe it is or has been certainly in my experience of it over my lifetime.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 28, 2018, 03:55:49 PM

Yes, has to be one of the most annoying traditions left! Have it just for a provincial final or AI final.

I agree. Big finals only.

It's not really needed. Hearing it thousands of times, from an u-14 div 3 qualifier to a NFL game, it kinda loses something along the way.

BennyCake

What about the H block protests in early 80's?

Naming of clubs after men of 1916 was of it's time, but now, it feels strange. Not in a 'lets pander to unionists' king of way. Sport and rebellion are miles apart.

Il Bomber Destro

I don't think the GAA was ever radical or republican, can't remember it ever doing too much for northern counties through the troubles. As RRHF said, most GAA clubs mirror their community but the GAA as a whole has never been radical or republican.

Maroon Manc

The OP started the topic yesterday 'The GAA in Westminster'.

I think he's fishing.

seafoid

The GAA is nationalist rather than republican.  Playing the games on a 32 county basis means it has zero respect for the border.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

larryin89

Speak for yourself re the national anthem and may I add as much as I hate to admit typical Mayo bollix to come strong with the anti nationalist pride.
Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

T Fearon

balladmaker

QuoteThey still play the national anthem before matches. Get rid. Sport is supposed to be inclusive and not divisive.

Please explain how the national anthem is divisive?  What would you prefer, the dirge that is Ireland's Call?