Conor McKenna - Essendon FC Mate

Started by Fuzzman, February 24, 2016, 04:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fuzzman

I was chatting to a few people about Conor McKenna the other evening and I wondered how was he getting on.
Interesting watching a few of these videos what type of training they do and how they kick the ball differently.
Will be interesting to see does he come back in a few years a better player or will he stay there long term.

http://www.the42.ie/conor-mckenna-afl-melbourne-2292664-Aug2015/
At the end of that first video if you click on the top right video you get to see him a lot more in a training game.

http://www.essendonfc.com.au/player-profile/conor-mckenna

How would people say Marty Clarke did in Aus and when they come home are they a very different animal?

thejuice

Best of look to him. He has some speed in those videos. His turn and run was straight off the gaelic field. I'd say he was screaming for a return pass which he would have got in a gaelic match.

By the way, could they not make those monitor vests a bit less feminine.  ::)
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

He certainly looks quick in that video.

Hard to believe he was 6 months old when Mayo and Meath draw in 1996.

Here is the current Irish standard bearer in the AFL imho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqWuZM8RVI
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

How old was he when we beat Mayo in 1996 and in 2009?
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

muppet

Quote from: thejuice on February 25, 2016, 12:19:55 AM
How old was he when we beat Mayo in 1996 and in 2009?

6 months and 2 weeks and the second one doesn't matter as neither of us mattered in 2009. How have ye been getting' on since then?
MWWSI 2017

thejuice

We've won as many Sams as yourselves since.

orangeman

Quote from: muppet on February 25, 2016, 12:15:56 AM
He certainly looks quick in that video.

Hard to believe he was 6 months old when Mayo and Meath draw in 1996.

Here is the current Irish standard bearer in the AFL imho: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWqWuZM8RVI

Brilliant. He has it all.

Fuzzman

Wow he looks amazing in that video. Pace, strength, skill and bravery.
I'd say Mayo would be very happy if he returned any time soon. With him and O'Shea as twin towers they would finally have some great ammunition to ask questions from Dublin.

Besides Jim Stynes, what Irish players would be seen as being the most successful in Aussie rules?

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: Fuzzman on February 25, 2016, 11:46:54 AM
Wow he looks amazing in that video. Pace, strength, skill and bravery.
I'd say Mayo would be very happy if he returned any time soon. With him and O'Shea as twin towers they would finally have some great ammunition to ask questions from Dublin.

Besides Jim Stynes, what Irish players would be seen as being the most successful in Aussie rules?
Kennelly is the obvious one.
Won a premiership with the swans and would be quite well known in australia
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

blewuporstuffed

Marty Clarke had a fantastic rookie year, but never really reached those heights again.
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

WT4E

McKenna should be in for a big season considering the amount of suspensions Essendon have picked up - 12 I believe?

thejuice

A lot of Aussies think Hanley will surpass Kennelly and Stynes, but they do get a bit carried away at times.

I remember reading some amount of nonsense on bigfooty when Tommy Walsh first went over.

snoopdog

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on February 25, 2016, 11:56:02 AM
Marty Clarke had a fantastic rookie year, but never really reached those heights again.
Yeah Marty had a great rookie year. In hindsight I wonder if the health issue had anything to do with a few average years. I have spoken to a few people who believe he came back from Oz not as good maybe the natural talent taken out of him by professionalism but 2010 would Prob say otherwise. With Mooney it's hard to know whether he will step up from the level he was at for st colmans in their all ireland winning years. They were right to go and give it a go. A professional sportsman is every kids dream.

Champion The Wonder Horse

Sean Wight had a decent career also, though overshadowed by Jim Stynes.