does this make anyone else physically sick - it should.

Started by theticklemister, January 26, 2012, 11:59:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

theticklemister

Quote from: thebigfella on January 27, 2012, 02:13:01 PM
Quote from: theticklemister on January 27, 2012, 01:13:43 PM
There would be no need for these f**king job losses if the bankers had run the banks properly. Hester is just one of many CEOs who earn such extravagant money. The money these men earn are off the back of working class people who are now out of a job due to the banking system.

I really can't believe there is an 80-20 split here in favour of Hester. Ye lot make my f**king blood boil. Supporting him is supporting the right-wing governments of britain and ireland.

This sh1te sickens my hole - I don't see to may working class people in society any more. We are mostly middle class or useless scum  ;)

Where on God's earth do you live????????????????? Blinkered and tunnell vision.

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on January 27, 2012, 02:15:37 PM
Would the core rationale for a public company not be to deliver the best return on investment for shareholders?

In that case I'd like to see what the criteria were for his bonus award as RBS shares fell by approx 50% in 2011.

Are you for real???? Seriously do you understand anything on how stock markets and a share issue's work? Do you know what a dividend and how it is calculated?

FFS you financial genius's on here should be banned from the internet.

Franko

Quote from: thebigfella on January 27, 2012, 02:54:01 PM
Would the core rationale for a public company not be to deliver the best return on investment for shareholders?

In that case I'd like to see what the criteria were for his bonus award as RBS shares fell by approx 50% in 2011.

Are you for real???? Seriously do you understand anything on how stock markets and a share issue's work? Do you know what a dividend and how it is calculated?

Go on then Gekko... give us the answer...

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on January 27, 2012, 03:35:14 PM

So then I take your answer to the above is, no you don't understand.

If you want to debate, at least have the courtesy to read up on the basics, instead of regurgitating sensationalist nonsense from the sun and other newspapers. My suggestion is have a look on Investopedia.

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 27, 2012, 12:18:31 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 27, 2012, 11:52:17 AM
RBS is a mess. Hester's job is to return it to a state where the UK government can sell it back to private ownership.
Nally Stand could take over and run it into the ground. The taxpayer could take up the tab.

Quote from: nifan on January 27, 2012, 11:03:46 AM
Would the taxpayer prefer if they had made another  1.6bn loss but the boss was only getting average wage?

So basically what you are saying is that giving one single individual any less than £7.3m from taxpayer coffers in one year to run a bank, would mean that bank would inevitably be run into the ground? This really does beggar belief that any Irish people could defend this on the back of what we are currently going through. FF will be back in power before we know it.

Nifan, nobody is suggesting paying the man an average wage, as I suspect you know, but to imply that if he didn't get the full amount of this scandalous bonus, that the bank would inevitably make a 1.6bn loss is being sensationalist/facetious in the extreme.

It's €1 million. Taxed at 40%.  If he got no bonus he'd leave and Eugene Sheehy or Seanie Fitz could do the job  ;). RBS is a broken bank and it's going to take a lot of work to get it back to its feet again.  Think about the point of view of your own (British) government  ;) If they pay him £1m  they get a potential upside. If they rule themselves out of the market and get a plonker RBS could go down the swannee.  Say your car breaks down and you can't fix it. Would you call in an expert ? Would that be outrageous ?

I think earnings in the banking sector are obnoxious but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.  How much does Wayne Rooney earn? Isn't it outrageous? Couldn't some striker from Cliftonville or Linfield do the job  ?

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on January 27, 2012, 04:29:40 PM
RBS is a mess. Hester's job is to return it to a state where the UK government can sell it back to private ownership.
Nally Stand could take over and run it into the ground. The taxpayer could take up the tab.

Would the taxpayer prefer if they had made another  1.6bn loss but the boss was only getting average wage?

So basically what you are saying is that giving one single individual any less than £7.3m from taxpayer coffers in one year to run a bank, would mean that bank would inevitably be run into the ground? This really does beggar belief that any Irish people could defend this on the back of what we are currently going through. FF will be back in power before we know it.

Nifan, nobody is suggesting paying the man an average wage, as I suspect you know, but to imply that if he didn't get the full amount of this scandalous bonus, that the bank would inevitably make a 1.6bn loss is being sensationalist/facetious in the extreme.

It's €1 million. Taxed at 40%.  If he got no bonus he'd leave and Eugene Sheehy or Seanie Fitz could do the job  ;). RBS is a broken bank and it's going to take a lot of work to get it back to its feet again.  Think about the point of view of your own (British) government  ;) If they pay him £1m  they get a potential upside. If they rule themselves out of the market and get a plonker RBS could go down the swannee.  Say your car breaks down and you can't fix it. Would you call in an expert ? Would that be outrageous ?

I think earnings in the banking sector are obnoxious but a bit of perspective wouldn't go amiss.  How much does Wayne Rooney earn? Isn't it outrageous? Couldn't some striker from Cliftonville or Linfield do the job  ?

More assumptions presenting it as black or white. Why does everyone who is defending this seemingly assume that if he didn't get this almost £1m bonus payment, he would undoubtedly have quit? And why further assume that the person who would take his place would undoubtedly be woeful?
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

Franko

Quote from: thebigfella on January 27, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

If you want to debate, at least have the courtesy to read up on the basics, instead of regurgitating sensationalist nonsense from the sun and other newspapers. My suggestion is have a look on Investopedia.

As I expected... all mouth and no trousers...

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 27, 2012, 04:56:11 PM

More assumptions presenting it as black or white. Why does everyone who is defending this seemingly assume that if he didn't get this almost £1m bonus payment, he would undoubtedly have quit? And why further assume that the person who would take his place would undoubtedly be woeful?

£1m is low enough for the bonus of a bank CEO, Nally Stand. That is the way it is. Some people are all take. BTW Norn Irn enjoys the generosity of a subvention which amounts to a very large % of provincial GDP and comes from the UK Treasury and is funded in large part by taxes on financial activity in GB .  if you would prefer RBS to collapse  which hospital services in Tyrone would you cut first?

How much would you pay Hester ?

Nally Stand

Quote from: seafoid on January 27, 2012, 05:00:05 PM

£1m is low enough for the bonus of a bank CEO, Nally Stand. That is the way it is. Some people are all take. BTW Norn Irn enjoys the generosity of a subvention which amounts to a very large % of provincial GDP and comes from the UK Treasury and is funded in large part by taxes on financial activity in GB .  if you would prefer RBS to collapse  which hospital services in Tyrone would you cut first?

Jaysus drop the sensationalism. Tyrone doesn't have much in the way of a Health Service and you can be damn sure that if this scandalous bonus payment didn't happen, a hospital wouldn't suddenly pop up as a result; but as for how much I would pay, plain and simply I don't know how much, but you can also be damn sure it wouldn't be near the £27.5m he could be receiving for just over three years in the job. I keep saying it, but it boggles the mind how any Irishman could defend this sort of practice, it really does.
"The island of saints & scholars...and gombeens & fuckin' arselickers" Christy Moore

thebigfella

Quote from: Franko on January 27, 2012, 04:56:40 PM
Quote from: thebigfella on January 27, 2012, 03:51:33 PM

As I expected... all mouth and no trousers...

So based on your response I have to again assume you don't really understand how share price from secondary markets really has no effect on the shareholders or dividends.

To quote you "Would the core rationale for a public company not be to deliver the best return on investment for shareholders?" - Yep, he appears to be doing that by returning £2bn profit in its most recent trading period compared with a £1.6bn loss in the same period in 2010.

Franko

OK, yet the value of the company has halved?  Forgive me for my very basic understanding of this but I can't see how that helps RBS shareholders unless they pay some sort of huge dividend??

Hardy

attheraces

Quote from: Franko on January 27, 2012, 05:52:09 PM
OK, yet the value of the company has halved?  Forgive me for my very basic understanding of this but I can't see how that helps RBS shareholders unless they pay some sort of huge dividend??

Thebigfella is right franko, but your not far off the mark, the value on the stock market had halved yes, but that is due to the government bailing out the bank when it was in a disastrous position. The aim for Hester is to ultimately help the bank increase the value of RBS, the government can then sell RBS at hopefully a profit so that eventually we (the taxpayer/shareholders) ultimately receive the benefit. But this is not an overnight fix, its long term, so to judge him on the value of the shares at the moment is not an appropriate measure and no matter what anyone says, in basic terms Hester has done a right job in RBS so far.

The anger here should not be directed at Hester at all, he could, and most definitely will in the future, earn a lot more than his 2 million. Yes it is a big bonus but in perspective of the banking world fact is its not over the top, this story has annoyed people is ridiculous considering some of the other bonuses receivedand it is the whole issue of bankers looking after their own interests and bonuses rather than our money that needs to be addressed.   It's reaction to stupid hype about the media of RBS being a publicly owned business, when in reality, Hester is one banker that is actually trying to recover a business that the economy we live in DESPERATELY relies on.
I intend to live forever. So far, so good.

seafoid

Quote from: Nally Stand on January 27, 2012, 05:20:01 PM
Quote from: seafoid on January 27, 2012, 05:00:05 PM

Jaysus drop the sensationalism. Tyrone doesn't have much in the way of a Health Service and you can be damn sure that if this scandalous bonus payment didn't happen, a hospital wouldn't suddenly pop up as a result; but as for how much I would pay, plain and simply I don't know how much, but you can also be damn sure it wouldn't be near the £27.5m he could be receiving for just over three years in the job. I keep saying it, but it boggles the mind how any Irishman could defend this sort of practice, it really does.

Have you ever left your farm and gone into the village ?
Apparently some Irish people work in finance. I heard it from someone.
Or are they all dancing at the croosroads where you are ?

Nally Stand