Something for the children

Started by irunthev, May 25, 2011, 09:36:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

irunthev

Lads and lassies,

I'm looking for a bit of help from you good folk out there, especially those with a bit of IT know-how.

We're in the process of trying to set-up an under-age club here in Madrid and after the first two months or so of taster-sessions, we are getting 20 kids between the age of 4 and 10 out every Sunday morning.

This is all very encouraging and has been achieved almost exclusively through contacts in one school. After the summer break it is hoped that we will be able to extend our coverage into several other schools as well. So at present things are looking very positive.

Anyhow, we've been in touch with Croke Park asking for direction etc etc etc, and they have been very helpful with some basic coaching material etc and there is the promise of more help to come, so that is all positive.

What I am looking for at the moment is something that some of you may or may not have lying around or on file somewhere.

We are in the strange position of trying to teach kids a game that many of them have never seen played at any level and one which they don't really associate with. In a few weeks time we are having a BBQ to mark the summer break and we were hoping to show the kids a game or at DVD of some sort.

However, what I don't want to do is sit the kids down to watch a whole game of football that they will lose interest in after five minutes and go wondering off, so what I was looking for was some sort of edited compilation piece, maybe ten minutes long maximum, that we could show them while they are eating their burgers. Something a bit funky.

If any of you have anything like that that you would either be able to send via email or through the post then I would be very very grateful. PM me with any useful info.

I know that it is possible to make these compilations yourself through moviemaker etc etc, but at present I don't have access to such, so I was hoping to steal / borrow someone else's creation.

Alternatively any suggestions of places that I might be able to get something like this would be much appreciated too.

Mucha gracias

Jinxy

There must be a montage of Meaths greatest hits on youtube somewhere.
Show them that.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

passedit

Didn't Eamonca do something like this for the hurling, he might be your best bet for a starting point, possibly in Espanol as well.

Jez Irunthev you're some man for the travelling, is someone after you or something?
Don't Panic

irunthev

Quote from: passedit on May 25, 2011, 10:26:34 AM
Didn't Eamonca do something like this for the hurling, he might be your best bet for a starting point, possibly in Espanol as well.

Jez Irunthev you're some man for the travelling, is someone after you or something?

Griff scared the BeJeezus out of me with that talk about blokes dragging themselves across hills in Dungarvan with their stomachs hanging out  and I've been on the run ever since.

Actually, it is me being an obedient husband and following her good self wherever she takes me.

Imagine the words obedient and husband all in the same sentence about me. Bet you never thought you'd see the day. I made Bash look like a child bride.

Thanks for that tip.

irunthev

Quote from: Jinxy on May 25, 2011, 10:17:19 AM
Show them that.

Like the beating they gave Canavan in 1996 :o :o :o

Trying to steer the kids away from all out thuggery.... but I might squeeze in some of Banty's finest moments in next year's montage.

Jinxy

Quote from: irunthev on May 25, 2011, 10:40:24 AM
Quote from: Jinxy on May 25, 2011, 10:17:19 AM
Show them that.

Like the beating they gave Canavan in 1996 :o :o :o

Trying to steer the kids away from all out thuggery.... but I might squeeze in some of Banty's finest moments in next year's montage.

It'd teach them how to injure a mans ankle by hitting him a shoulder.
It's all about pressure points.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

DuffleKing

Denn Forever

Setanta used to show Cumann Na Bunscoil games. 

Maybe if you contanted them.  The games I think would be a good taster in that they would see children of their age playing.  You don't need to show technical brilliance just show children having a good time.

Alternatively, at intercounty chamionship games there is usually a game between the underage players of the counties at half time.  Maybe something like that may be good?  Although who would record these?  A quick look at You Tube answered that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwoVC8JHK8

Fair play to you.
I have more respect for a man
that says what he means and
means what he says...

irunthev

Quote from: Denn Forever on May 25, 2011, 12:31:44 PM
Setanta used to show Cumann Na Bunscoil games. 

Maybe if you contanted them.  The games I think would be a good taster in that they would see children of their age playing.  You don't need to show technical brilliance just show children having a good time.

Alternatively, at intercounty chamionship games there is usually a game between the underage players of the counties at half time.  Maybe something like that may be good?  Although who would record these?  A quick look at You Tube answered that!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIwoVC8JHK8

Fair play to you.

Thanks Denn. Hadn't thought of that. Great idea.

Zulu

The British GAA have managed to pressurise the GAA into finally giving the ok for a promotional DVD for kids in Britian. They are currently storyboarding this so it won't be available in the immediate future but I'll let you know when it comes on board as it should be ideal for your purpose. In the meantime I agree that you should use kids in your promotions and Jerome Quinn has a decent video of kids playing at half time in an Ulster championship game. I've had no luck myself but you should also check the various international GAA club websites to see if you can find foreign kids (adults even) playing to highlight that this is an international game and as much belonging to Spainish kids as Irish.

I'm currently developing an underage club in another city so if you want to bounce ideas of each other PM at anytime. It might take me a bit of time to get back to you but I definitely will. This is the first year where we are properly promoting the game underage and we recently ran a blitz with nearly 400 kids from 7 - 10 years old. We are hopeful that we will have over 100 kids training with the club at U8, over 100 at U10 and over 50 at U12 in the next two years.

Best of luck with it anyway. It's hard work but very rewarding to see the kids learn to love the game, which they do very quickly.

irunthev

Quote from: Zulu on May 25, 2011, 03:17:09 PM
The British GAA have managed to pressurise the GAA into finally giving the ok for a promotional DVD for kids in Britian. They are currently storyboarding this so it won't be available in the immediate future but I'll let you know when it comes on board as it should be ideal for your purpose. In the meantime I agree that you should use kids in your promotions and Jerome Quinn has a decent video of kids playing at half time in an Ulster championship game. I've had no luck myself but you should also check the various international GAA club websites to see if you can find foreign kids (adults even) playing to highlight that this is an international game and as much belonging to Spainish kids as Irish.

I'm currently developing an underage club in another city so if you want to bounce ideas of each other PM at anytime. It might take me a bit of time to get back to you but I definitely will. This is the first year where we are properly promoting the game underage and we recently ran a blitz with nearly 400 kids from 7 - 10 years old. We are hopeful that we will have over 100 kids training with the club at U8, over 100 at U10 and over 50 at U12 in the next two years.

Best of luck with it anyway. It's hard work but very rewarding to see the kids learn to love the game, which they do very quickly.

Thanks for that Zulu. I had to lie down there for a minute when you said 400 kids. My head is sideways with the 20 we have. I'll be in touch. Thanks again.