Belfast Strategic Plan

Started by passedit, March 09, 2009, 06:47:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

passedit

Had a copy of this drop in my inbox a while ago. Anybody involved in the consultations?

Below are the broad aims, any suggestions, alterations, opinions?  Personally I'd like to see a city board (irrespective of county boundary) for both club underage and schools running meaningful competitions for both.

What this strategy will deliver for the GAA in Belfast...............

Coaching, Games and Participation
•   At least 10 GAA Community Coaches for the Belfast Urban Area
•   An increase in games participation of at least 20% by 2014
•   A specific Belfast Continuing Professional Development programme for volunteer club coaches
•   Cross Club summer and Easter coaching camps
•   City Based Development Squads
•   Enhanced Club-School links through new coaching initiatives and programmes 
•   Programmes to attract new participations who traditionally would have no involvement in the GAA

Physical Development
•   Belfast GAA Urban Centre of Participation and Excellence that includes at least three new full-size pitches for club use in North and West Belfast
•   At least two new full-size GAA pitches for use in the South and East Belfast 
•   Enhancement of Casement Park to an appropriate standard for main stadium in Ireland's second city 

Club Governance
•   New group comprising of Belfast GAA club officials, Antrim, Down and Ulster GAA officials to drive the development of the GAA in Belfast
•   At least two Development Officers to support Club officials in administration governance and ongoing club development
•   A new Brand and Identity for the GAA in Belfast
•   A "joined-up" club led approach to the overall development of the GAA in the City
•   A strong GAA presence and linkage with all local government and relevant public bodies in the city.
•   Specific Belfast GAA Club Development Seminars and Volunteer training events
Culture and Heritage
•   Revival of Scor in the City
•   Introduction of new Specific Belfast GAA Irish language Courses
•   Development of a Belfast GAA History
Don't Panic

corn02

If anyone will pull it off it will be the Ulster Council.

Two things delight me there - the reviving of the Scor and the Belfast history section - two very important issues.

TRhe rest looks solid in theory.

armaghniac

A bit of effort by Antrim to get their football team put up a performance proportionate to the talent in the county would also do a lot to help the GAA in Belfast. Beating Armagh/Tyrone/Derry or even Down and getting to an Ulster final would go a lot.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

passedit

Quote from: armaghniac on March 09, 2009, 07:08:58 PM
A bit of effort by Antrim to get their football team put up a performance proportionate to the talent in the county would also do a lot to help the GAA in Belfast. Beating Armagh/Tyrone/Derry or even Down and getting to an Ulster final would go a lot.

A few pots at schools level would do more in the short term i'd say. I wonder would there be any mileage in combined teams* along the Dublin schools model. Plenty of vested interests against that i'd say.

* excepting the likes of the soccer boys at St Marys or any others who might be strong enough to go it alone.
Don't Panic

Square Ball

It is a fantastic idea and will require a hell of a lot of work by not only the Ulster council but the clubs involved. There are 26 clubs listed as Belfast clubs withe nearly 10,000 registered members, this includes the 3 Down clubs.

the Mission statement:

GAA Mission

"The GAA is a community based volunteer organisation promoting gaelic games, culture and lifelong participation

The GAA is a volunteer organisation. We develop and promote Gaelic Games at the core of Irish Identity and culture.

We are dedicated to ensuring that our family of games, and the values we live, enrich the lives of our members, families and the whole communities, which we serve.

We are committed to active lifelong participation for all, and to providing the best facilities.

We reach out to and include all the members of our society. We promote individual development and well-being, and strive to enable all our members to achieve their full potential in their chosen role."

-The GAA Strategic Vision and Action Plan 2009-2015
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

milltown row

there are so many areas within Belfast that don't have strong Gaa links, Beechmount, a big area which if tapped into could bring in 200 or more new players.
poleglass and Twinbrook again massive estates were the main sport is Soccer. we should not be really in contest with soccer as its a winter sport.

another area which had strong links years ago was Ballymurphy, not too many of those kids are playing for their local Club St Johns. the only way to get these kids is at the primary schools. too many women teachers now who dont have an interest in coaching are kids after school, it was never a problem in my day, Bro Christopher had ya training in the rain and snow!!

if we can intice the kids at school to take up gaa games, insure they play for their local club then we'd be off to a good start on increased players

no jokes please

passedit

Quote from: Square Ball on March 09, 2009, 07:38:14 PM
It is a fantastic idea and will require a hell of a lot of work by not only the Ulster council but the clubs involved. There are 26 clubs listed as Belfast clubs withe nearly 10,000 registered members, this includes the 3 Down clubs.

Here's the list. No sean Martins? How long are they gone? Still a drinking club there, surely this area should be targetted straight off. SB do ye get anybody from the Strand or is there still a team in the Markets?

•   Ardoyne Kickhams
•   Cardinal O'Donnell's
•   Eire Óg
•   St. Patrick's, Lisburn
•   Gort na Mona
•   Henry Joy McCracken's 
•   John Mitchel's
•   Lámh Dhearg
•   Michael Davitt's
•   Michael Dwyer's
•   Na Fuiseoige
•   O'Donovan Rossa
•   Patrick Pearse's
•   Patrick Sarsfield's
•   Sean McDermott's
•   St. Agnes'
•   St. Brigid's, Belfast
•   St. Enda's
•   St. Gall's
•   St. John's
•   St. Malachy's
•   St. Paul's
•   St. Teresa's
•   Bredagh
•   Carryduff
•   St. Paul's, Holywood
Don't Panic

fitzroyalty

Good to see a positive approach being taken. Are there going to be amalgamated sides in the Antrim SHC this year? Once they infiltrate the primary schools they're halfway there. Get them linked to the local clubs. I hear St Brigid's are doing extremely well in terms of underage structures.

Two Hands FFS

Think there is too many clubs in Belfast in the same area for a start....especially on the Falls Road. At least two of them clubs are just social clubs for drinking. Hopefully this plan will work as the clubs need a hand with coaching. Some clubs doing a great job to be fair.

milltown row

Square Ball

Passedit

the Market would be covered by St Mals, so no not really
Hospitals are not equipped to treat stupid

theskull1

How big a factor do you think that lazy parenting is up in the city lads? The clubs like bredagh and st bridgets, st endas, carryduff with a sizable middle class demographic are getting on very well, but the working class west struggles. Is that down to more responsible parenting. I think it is but am I wrong? If so is this something which needs to be outlined in any strategy going forward?
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

passedit

Quote from: theskull1 on March 09, 2009, 10:22:00 PM
How big a factor do you think that lazy parenting is up in the city lads? The clubs like bredagh and st bridgets, st endas, carryduff with a sizable middle class demographic are getting on very well, but the working class west struggles. Is that down to more responsible parenting. I think it is but am I wrong? If so is this something which needs to be outlined in any strategy going forward?

I'd say the biggest factor here is the changing 'demographics' in those areas skull. i'd nearly go as far as to say that there's room for at least one more club in south belfast at this stage. i'd also love to know what the ratio of Frankies:boggers is in administative positions in those clubs is. I know in St Pauls Holywood its about 1:20
Don't Panic

theskull1

Quote from: passedit on March 09, 2009, 10:33:21 PM
Quote from: theskull1 on March 09, 2009, 10:22:00 PM

I'd say the biggest factor here is the changing 'demographics' in those areas skull. i'd nearly go as far as to say that there's room for at least one more club in south belfast at this stage. i'd also love to know what the ratio of Frankies:boggers is in administative positions in those clubs is. I know in St Pauls Holywood its about 1:20

Yes demographic changes which have brought an influx of boggers to bolster the clubs ....well St Endas have quite a few N Antrim men along with some passionate west belfast lads, bredagh have quite a few ards men at the helm. don't know much about the other two.
It's a lot easier to sing karaoke than to sing opera

snatter

Would there be any appetite for a greater belfast league?
The Down clubs could still play in the Down championship.
It might seem more relevant to people in Bredagh to be playing Belfast teams rather than Newry ones.