I Don't Believe it! I simply do not believe it!!

Started by T Fearon, March 18, 2010, 01:53:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

T Fearon

Huge photograph of St Gall's and their All Ireland win is the lead story on the back page of the Belfast Telegraph to-day!!!!

Rugby, 6 county soccer, and even English and Scottish soccer etc features regularly in this slot, but no other Ulster All Ireland win or GAA story has achieved such status ever before (at least not to my knowledge) in a paper which although owned for some time by Tony O'Reilly, has still retained its largely unionist leaning and ethos.

Lets hope this is the first of many.

deiseach

Any word on the sports headline in the News Letter?

magpie seanie

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 01:53:55 PM
Huge photograph of St Gall's and their All Ireland win is the lead story on the back page of the Belfast Telegraph to-day!!!!

Rugby, 6 county soccer, and even English and Scottish soccer etc features regularly in this slot, but no other Ulster All Ireland win or GAA story has achieved such status ever before (at least not to my knowledge) in a paper which although owned for some time by Tony O'Reilly, has still retained its largely unionist leaning and ethos.

Lets hope this is the first of many.

What??? Tony O'Reilly, or should I say Sir Anthony O'Reilly????

I assume this is a piss poor attempt at humour?

T Fearon

Sorry I forgot, O'Reilly is a dyed in the wool unionist.If you were from the 6 counties you'd realise the significance of this. I'm sure there was a lot of choking on a lot of Kellogs produce this morning. ;D

magpie seanie

My God Tony, such partitionist crap! Youse are different in the wee 6 when it suits your argument - is that it now? Sad.

Sir Anthony O'Reilly is hardly known for his fondness for GAA so your linking him to the Galls story is preposterous but that's hardly a surprise.

ziggysego

Quote from: deiseach on March 18, 2010, 02:00:18 PM
Any word on the sports headline in the News Letter?

Checked their website.

The Schools' Cup Final is on their website. Then I say Schools' Cup Final, I of course mean the Rugby and not the GAA.

No mention of St. Gall's.
Testing Accessibility

T Fearon

Magpie Seanie, its not that long ago that GAA hardly got a mention in the Belfast Telegraph at all, a paper which ostensibly styles itself as cross community, yet has always lean't firmly in a unionist direction, both before and since O'Reilly's takeover.

If anyone from the six counties won an egg and spoon race somewhere, it would have made the lead story on the back page, but up to now I've never ever seen a GAA story featured in this prestigious slot. Maybe the Belfast angle has paved the way as well.

Not being partitionist, and I can see that this is a bit of a non story to those not fully aware of the nuances etc, but believe me its ground breaking and unique.

Gabriel_Hurl

i thought this was gonna be about another competition he won

T Fearon

Gabriel, that would be an event that is totally believable! ;)

Bensars

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 04:29:15 PM
Magpie Seanie, its not that long ago that GAA hardly got a mention in the Belfast Telegraph at all, a paper which ostensibly styles itself as cross community, yet has always lean't firmly in a unionist direction, both before and since O'Reilly's takeover.[/b][/u]

If anyone from the six counties won an egg and spoon race somewhere, it would have made the lead story on the back page, but up to now I've never ever seen a GAA story featured in this prestigious slot. Maybe the Belfast angle has paved the way as well.

Not being partitionist, and I can see that this is a bit of a non story to those not fully aware of the nuances etc, but believe me its ground breaking and unique.

Was it not the The Belfast Telegraph GAA competition that you lost out on the £3000 when you chose Kerry instead of your more successful neighbours ? :D :D

T Fearon

Yes, and undoubtedly their GAA coverage has improved. Joe Kernan's ghost writer does a magnificent job every Tuesday! ;D

Still to have GAA featured as the lead story on the back page is a momentous ground breaking event for this publication.

Main Street

Someone called Tony commented on the Telegraph article

Great win for St Galls. Let's hope the Sports and Culture Minister

a) Knows they are All Ireland Champions

b) Hosts a reception for them like he did for the North of Ireland soccer team who had won nothing

T Fearon

T Fearon

Jesus, just got this email from the Telegraph!! :D  Delete this thread quick!!!

Now lets see, thats wife, me, Trevor Hill, who else will I invite??? :D

Tony

Thank you for entering our Sunday Life La Tasca competition, you have won a meal for four with wine at La Tasca. Your details have been forwarded on to the PR company who organised the competition and the manager of La Tasca will be in touch within 5 working days to book you in for your free meal.

full back

Quote from: T Fearon on March 18, 2010, 04:59:00 PM
Jesus, just got this email from the Telegraph!! :D  Delete this thread quick!!!

Now lets see, thats wife, me, Trevor Hill, who else will I invite??? :D

Tony

Thank you for entering our Sunday Life La Tasca competition, you have won a meal for four with wine at La Tasca. Your details have been forwarded on to the PR company who organised the competition and the manager of La Tasca will be in touch within 5 working days to book you in for your free meal.

Tony, you are well able to eat the meal for 4 all by yourself, no need to look for people to take with you ;)