Super 8 Dark Horses

Started by slippery dodger, May 24, 2018, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 25, 2018, 12:35:40 AM
True and Carlow hammered them in a manner similar to the good teams in division 2.

Carlow would lose to everyone else that was in D2 this year, as well as the two teams who are being relegated to it next year. You can't read anything into beating a team as bad as Louth.

seafoid

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 12:43:28 AM
Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 25, 2018, 12:35:40 AM
True and Carlow hammered them in a manner similar to the good teams in division 2.

Carlow would lose to everyone else that was in D2 this year, as well as the two teams who are being relegated to it next year. You can't read anything into beating a team as bad as Louth.
The standard in D2 was mediocre at best this year
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Jinxy

If you were any use you'd be playing.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 25, 2018, 12:26:21 AM
Quote from: thejuice on May 24, 2018, 11:52:08 PM

Carlow haven't improved that much yet, don't be silly.

Their last performance against Louth was the performance of a solid second tier team. A similar margin of victory as was managed by the top division 2 teams and more than Meath managed.
Kildare are absolutely demoralised at the moment and I can think of every reason as to why we will lose to a well organised, fit and confident Carlow team.

Really? A certain section of support maybe but the players? Don't see that personally.
#newbridgeornowhere

Dinny Breen

Nailed on

Dublin Kerry

Probables

Galway Monaghan

Maybes

Roscommon Kildare Donegal Tipperary Tyrone Mayo Cavan

Dark Horses

Meath Cork Clare

Clare are my Dark horse tip.
#newbridgeornowhere

Maroon Manc

Its so hard to predict because a dark horse will be relying on the luck of the draw, any team who are likely to get to a provincial final like Kildare can't be considered a dark horse as they could end up playing a div 3 final in a R4 qualifier.

Syferus

Quote from: Dinny Breen on May 25, 2018, 10:21:58 AM
Nailed on

Dublin Kerry

Probables

Galway Monaghan

Maybes

Dark Horses

Meath Cork Clare

I really don't get ranking a team we absolutely hammered away last year above us when we've a home CF final them this year, assuming either team slips up. Galway's recent record against Sligo is also far worse than ours is against Leitrim.

Despite what the media might have told people, Galway still have most of the same flaws they've had for the last five to ten years.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 12:13:21 PM
Nailed on

Dublin Kerry

Probables

Galway Monaghan

Maybes

Dark Horses

Meath Cork Clare

I really don't get ranking a team we absolutely hammered away last year above us when we've a home CF final them this year, assuming either team slips up. Galway's recent record against Sligo is also far worse than ours is against Leitrim.

Despite what the media might have told people, Galway still have most of the same flaws they've had for the last five to ten years.

Which is what exactly?

Itchy

There will be a huge amount of luck this year in determining who gets to the super 8. For example Roscommon will get to a Connacht final by pretty much playing nobody. Yet Galway played Mayo on the other side, both I would consider top 5 teams. Its possible Mayo could draw a tricky game against a Div 1 team like Tyrone, a Div 2 team like Cavan or away to Armagh. Tyrone could certainly knock them out. So as someone else said its very hard to predict.

Rossfan

Our 2 year record v Galway in Connacht finals is

1 good but unexpected win
1 dour draw
1 absolute hammering.
They won their Rd4 game we lost ours.
We both lost our Qtr Finals to "X factor teams" Galway tamely us by a cricket score after a good draw.
It's not certain we'll get a home Connacht Final and anyway we seem to do better in the Wind Tunnel.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Dinny Breen

A lot happens in 12 months. Galway have confidence from a good Division 1 campaign, a win over Mayo and a defensive structure that allows them to win when playing poorly, they only conceded more than 14 points once and that was against Dublin in Croke Park.

Roscommon came through a division with a lot of teams in transition yet still conceded more than 14 points 3 time and also a loss to Down. I would always back the better defensive team.
#newbridgeornowhere

weareros

Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 01:48:47 PM

1 dour draw
1 absolute hammering.
We both lost our Qtr Finals to "X factor teams" Galway tamely us by a cricket score after a good draw.
It's not certain we'll get a home Connacht Final and anyway we seem to do better in the Wind Tunnel.

Galway also have tradition. A good example is U21s. Despite winning 5 or so Connacht finals, Roscommon could not annex an U21 crown. Galway on the other hand scraped out of Connacht a few times, but then went on to win the All-Ireland. But I do think Galway will not get it easy against Sligo. Looking forward to that game.

To keep on track: Cork the dark horses this year.

Syferus

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on May 25, 2018, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 12:13:21 PM
Nailed on

Dublin Kerry

Probables

Galway Monaghan

Maybes

Dark Horses

Meath Cork Clare

Which is what exactly?

A poor FB line and non-exsistent half-back play. Sean Andy might turn out to be a great player but the rest of that back line has some big flaws that can be exposed with good attacking play. Which is of course part of the reason Walsh relies on such a defensive system, in turn limiting what Galway can do at the opposite end. But teams that set up like Galway usually hit a wall when they need to respond to something that wasn't in the plan, like playing with an extra man in the league final or being blown away by Tipp, Ros or Kerry and having to attack more. And with all due respect, both your keepers are subpar too.

I'm just telling you the truth, which is more than the media and probably most Mayo or Roscommon supporters would tell you in the lead up to a match. Galway could win the CF but anyone who thinks they're particularly ahead of Roscommon haven't watched these Galway and Roscommon teams develop over multiple years.

Cunny Funt

Quote from: weareros on May 25, 2018, 02:04:29 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 01:48:47 PM

1 dour draw
1 absolute hammering.

Galway also have tradition. A good example is U21s. Despite winning 5 or so Connacht finals, Roscommon could not annex an U21 crown. Galway on the other hand scraped out of Connacht a few times, but then went on to win the All-Ireland. But I do think Galway will not get it easy against Sligo. Looking forward to that game.

To keep on track: Cork the dark horses this year.
In fairness Galways last two U21s All Ireland winning teams only had to beat Cork x2,Kildare,Cavan no sides of the quality of Dublin 2012 or 2014 there and they scraped out of Connacht in 2013 because the best side they faced that year was Roscommon.

Maroon Manc

The sly digs are flying in today.

In 'fairness' that Galway team in 2013 had Comer, Shane Walsh and Ian Burke all in the same forward line.