Super 8 Dark Horses

Started by slippery dodger, May 24, 2018, 05:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

slippery dodger

Many counties first objective should be to make the Super 8's and all of the glamour that comes with that. Such teams that have a decent chance of making it include Roscommon, Tipp, Kildare etc. Who are some of the dark horses that you think could go on a qualifier run and make the Super 8's? Counties like a Down, Meath, Clare, Fermanagh, Laois. I think the only guarantees for it at the moment are Galway, Dublin and Kerry so still a lot to play for. I think the qualifiers are going to be followed alot more this year particularly the round 4 qualifiers with what is on the line.

Syferus

Quote from: slippery dodger on May 24, 2018, 05:31:54 PM
Many counties first objective should be to make the Super 8's and all of the glamour that comes with that. Such teams that have a decent chance of making it include Roscommon, Tipp, Kildare etc. Who are some of the dark horses that you think could go on a qualifier run and make the Super 8's? Counties like a Down, Meath, Clare, Fermanagh, Laois. I think the only guarantees for it at the moment are Galway, Dublin and Kerry so still a lot to play for. I think the qualifiers are going to be followed alot more this year particularly the round 4 qualifiers with what is on the line.

Galway are guaranteed fûck all.

slippery dodger

Beat Sligo and they have to win 1 out of 2 games to make Super 8s which I think they would be more than able to do. Wouldnt be surprised if Roscommon do beat them though

Rossfan

Contenders
Monaghan, Donegal and probably still Tyrone from Ulster
Ros, Galway and possibly still Mayowestros  from Connacht.
Kerry and winners of Cork/Tipp.
Dublin and possibly Kildare.
Outside that 10 we're talking wild cards and Qualifiers draws will have a lot to do with it.
Clare,  losers Cork/Tipp, Cavan, Laois maybe.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

Tipp, Kildare, Fermanagh.
It is hard to know what Mayo will turn up this year .
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

An Fhairche Abu

It'll be the biggest shock of the summer if Mayo aren't in the Super 8

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Carlow are definitely dark horses, they are set up perfectly to beat Kildare on Sunday and if it is Laois they play in the semi final then they have the beating of them. In the League final they malfunctioned in front of goal but were the better team. They obviously won't beat Dublin in the Leinster final but will keep the scoreline respectable and will be one round of qualifiers from the super 8. Last year they were ahead of Monaghan with a few minutes to go and that performance gave a good indication of the level they were at.

Syferus

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 24, 2018, 08:36:13 PM
Carlow are definitely dark horses, they are set up perfectly to beat Kildare on Sunday and if it is Laois they play in the semi final then they have the beating of them. In the League final they malfunctioned in front of goal but were the better team. They obviously won't beat Dublin in the Leinster final but will keep the scoreline respectable and will be one round of qualifiers from the super 8. Last year they were ahead of Monaghan with a few minutes to go and that performance gave a good indication of the level they were at.

No they're not.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 24, 2018, 07:26:08 PM
It'll be the biggest shock of the summer if Mayo aren't in the Super 8

Could happen though. Sometimes the end comes quicker than you think. Remember, Kerry beating us in 2002 and Cork's defeat (hurling) in 1990 logically finished our 2 great teams then.

Itchy

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 24, 2018, 08:36:13 PM

If Carlow beat kildare I'll eat a horse.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Why would it be a surprise? Kildare are approaching a year without a competitive win, have long struggled against good defensive teams, have no freetaker and Cormac Reilly is the referee. Carlow are a team on the up with a fantastic opportunity to make their 1st Leinster final in years.

thejuice

I reckon Mayo won't do it.

Carlow haven't improved that much yet, don't be silly.

Won't say anything about ourselves until after Sunday's game
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: thejuice on May 24, 2018, 11:52:08 PM

Their last performance against Louth was the performance of a solid second tier team. A similar margin of victory as was managed by the top division 2 teams and more than Meath managed.
Kildare are absolutely demoralised at the moment and I can think of every reason as to why we will lose to a well organised, fit and confident Carlow team.

Syferus

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 25, 2018, 12:26:21 AM
Quote from: thejuice on May 24, 2018, 11:52:08 PM

Their last performance against Louth was the performance of a solid second tier team. A similar margin of victory as was managed by the top division 2 teams and more than Meath managed.
Kildare are absolutely demoralised at the moment and I can think of every reason as to why we will lose to a well organised, fit and confident Carlow team.

Louth are barely a third division side.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

True and Carlow hammered them in a manner similar to the good teams in division 2.