Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Hardy

Quote from: hardstation on May 25, 2018, 07:32:28 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 25, 2018, 07:16:03 PM
Definitely pidgin. The question on the paper is "An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an togra chun an Bunreacht a leasú atá sa Bhille thiosluaite? So I'd guess the answer should be Táim or Nílim.
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2018, 07:05:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Seaf - you might back me up but is the Gaeilge version on the ballot paper pidgin Irish with its Tá and NFL?
Should it be Toilím/ NI Thoilím? ??
Níl a fhios agam. Maybe Aontaim.

Tá/Níl definitely pidgin. The question on the paper is "An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an togra chun an Bunreacht a leasú atá sa Bhille thiosluaite? So I'd guess the answer should be Táim or Nílim.
The positive & negative answers to a question starting "An bhfuil" are Tá and Níl. The personal pronoun is not required.

OK.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Hardy on May 25, 2018, 07:46:27 PM
Quote from: hardstation on May 25, 2018, 07:32:28 PM
Quote from: Hardy on May 25, 2018, 07:16:03 PM
Definitely pidgin. The question on the paper is "An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an togra chun an Bunreacht a leasú atá sa Bhille thiosluaite? So I'd guess the answer should be Táim or Nílim.
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2018, 07:05:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Seaf - you might back me up but is the Gaeilge version on the ballot paper pidgin Irish with its Tá and NFL?
Should it be Toilím/ NI Thoilím? ??
Níl a fhios agam. Maybe Aontaim.
Tá/Níl definitely pidgin. The question on the paper is "An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an togra chun an Bunreacht a leasú atá sa Bhille thiosluaite? So I'd guess the answer should be Táim or Nílim.
The positive & negative answers to a question starting "An bhfuil" are Tá and Níl. The personal pronoun is not required.

OK.

The Board's Irish Teachers finally found their niche  :P

Course a natural native speaker would  just know what right and wrong, wouldn't need all this grammar melarky  ;)

Rossfan

Wouldn't be space on the ball to paper for a native speaker to abswer ;D
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Franko

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 06:45:54 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 05:20:23 PM
20 years ago me and wifey could afford to buy a houseen Syf.
2 young people of similar jobs/incomes now can't in 90% of the State.
How is that better.
People on low incomes in 1998 were able to get Social housing pretty quickly.
2018......different story.
20 years ago you could get a hospital appointment pretty quickly -now unless you're at death's door you could have to wait up to 2 tears !!!!
Villages had shops and post offices in 1998.
Towns had loads of busy pubs.
But you continue in your little inexperienced (FG supporting?)bubble.

PS I'll concede on the motorway network where it exists.

The poor woman.

Better standard of living, massive technological advancements and the horrors of the Catholic Church with its tentacles in all aspects of Irish life starting to fade from living memory. Our economy is fast developing a large high-value services and IT industry that is envied by many of our bigger western neighbours who still struggle with high unemployment. The church's inability to even play much of a role in this referendum speaks volumes for the positive, secular humanism that has came to dominate most younger peoples' outlooks in the last two decades.

People care about others more, at least enough to promote a more inclusive society for LGBTQ, disabled and ethnic minorities. This was barely in exsistence even twenty years ago. It may have been a grand place for a white, able-bodied straight person but please talk to just one person who doesn't conform to that norm and see if they found the Ireland of 1998 or 1988 more welcoming to them.

People are able to get divorced, marry who they like, and hopefully tomorrow will know they can get critical medical care at home too. The days when those in power could shove huge social issues under the carpet are gone. Thankfully.

Oh dear.  If you actually believe that you're an even bigger fool than we all take you for.

Capt Pat

Will rte have an exit poll at 10 o clock with the likely result?

Rois

Quote from: Capt Pat on May 25, 2018, 09:33:12 PM
I think it is due on the Late Late show (exit poll).

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Rois on May 25, 2018, 09:34:05 PM
Quote from: Capt Pat on May 25, 2018, 09:33:12 PM
I think it is due on the Late Late show (exit poll).
Yep. 10.30.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Gabriel_Hurl

IT exit poll - it's a landslide for yes - 68/32

Farrandeelin

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 25, 2018, 10:05:09 PM

Well done to the yes side.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

omaghjoe

screenexile

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on May 25, 2018, 10:05:09 PM

WOW!!!

Wasn't expecting that kind of margin!

gallsman

Great stuff. A brighter future for the women of Ireland who have been let down for far too long.

easytiger95

Big generational divide. Only the cohort over 65 voted to keep it. Younger voters in a wave to repeal. I find that fitting- it's their country to remake and renew. Congratulations to the yes side, and commiserations to the no- but it is vital that we try and come together as a country now. The victors need to realise that 32 percent is a large minority to alienate, and in terms of the legislative and governing process, persuasion is always preferable to imposition.

Syferus

Absolute landslide. There is no going back now.

Syferus

Quote from: easytiger95 on May 25, 2018, 10:17:53 PM
Big generational divide. Only the cohort over 65 voted to keep it. Younger voters in a wave to repeal. I find that fitting- it's their country to remake and renew. Congratulations to the yes side, and commiserations to the no- but it is vital that we try and come together as a country now. The victors need to realise that 32 percent is a large minority to alienate, and in terms of the legislative and governing process, persuasion is always preferable to imposition.

No one is being alienated. This is the country we've chosen to be in the most open and fair way possible. Those on the No side have as much a responsibility to be good losers as the Yes side have to be good winners. What a woman does with her body is no one's business now.