Eighth Amendment poll

Started by Farrandeelin, May 01, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Are you in favour of repealing the 8th amendment?

Yes
47 (21.8%)
Yes but have no vote
73 (33.8%)
No
40 (18.5%)
No but have no vote
36 (16.7%)
Undecided
20 (9.3%)

Total Members Voted: 216

Voting closed: May 24, 2018, 03:36:55 PM

whitey

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 04:46:04 PM
Quote from: Owenmoresider on May 25, 2018, 02:41:45 PM
Quote from: Rudi on May 25, 2018, 02:28:59 PM
So your vote is a rebellion against old Ireland and has nothing to do with the slaughter of innocents. Two wrongs don't make a right.
The new Ireland his ilk seem intent on imposing on us isn't looking too wonderful a society either.

Heading off home to vote No later. As with last time I don't expect to be on the winning side but my conscience is clear.

Eh? Who can honestly say Ireland was better twenty years ago, in any way apart from maybe GAA IC parity? Of all the countries on Earth ours has changed so obviously in positive ways in the last two decades that the sort of nostalgia for the past you're peddling is both fascinating and the reasoning impossible to grasp in any objective way.

Also, to call a vote where the Yes side has a 29 point advantage in the final poll and is likely to win the popular vote in the region of ten percentage points 'imposing' anything shows an incredible level of contempt for the democratic process.

So if there was a vote in the North to ban the Tricolor and the Catholic Religion and it passed by 10% youd be fine with that?

Syferus

Quote from: omaghjoe on May 25, 2018, 04:52:39 PM
So your vote is a rebellion against old Ireland and has nothing to do with the slaughter of innocents. Two wrongs don't make a right.
The new Ireland his ilk seem intent on imposing on us isn't looking too wonderful a society either.

Heading off home to vote No later. As with last time I don't expect to be on the winning side but my conscience is clear.

Eh? Who can honestly say Ireland was better twenty years ago, in any way apart from maybe GAA IC parity? Of all the countries on Earth ours has changed so obviously in positive ways in the last two decades that the sort of nostalgia for the past you're peddling is both fascinating and the reasoning impossible to grasp in any objective way.

Also, to call a vote where the Yes side has a 29 point advantage in the final poll and is likely to win the popular vote in the region of ten percentage points 'imposing' anything shows an incredible level of contempt for the democratic process.

The homeless population might have something to say about that

You do get how democracy works right.... 50% +1? Just ask the nationalist population in the north if they feel like anything was imposed on them by democracy

What are you actually on about? An issue where the public literally get to vote for against a proposal is as democratic as it gets. Whatever the result there is no imposition. - your side either won or lost fair and square, simple. Unless you're an anarchist and don't 'do' democracy this is as close to direct action you get.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 04:55:59 PM
Quote from: omaghjoe on May 25, 2018, 04:52:39 PM

The homeless population might have something to say about that

You do get how democracy works right.... 50% +1? Just ask the nationalist population in the north if they feel like anything was imposed on them by democracy

What are you actually on about? An issue where the public literally get to vote for against a proposal is as democratic as it gets. Whatever the result there is no imposistion. - your side either won or lost fair and square, simple. That is unless you're an anarchist and don't 'do' democracy this is as close to direct action you get.

I know well how direct democracy work I live in California where there is vote every 5mins on a whole range of issues the electorate has no clue about

But thats irrelevant to the point... 50%+1 can easily vote to impose something on the other half that how democracy works

Rossfan

20 years ago me and wifey could afford to buy a houseen Syf.
2 young people of similar jobs/incomes now can't in 90% of the State.
How is that better.
People on low incomes in 1998 were able to get Social housing pretty quickly.
2018......different story.
20 years ago you could get a hospital appointment pretty quickly -now unless you're at death's door you could have to wait up to 2 tears !!!!
Villages had shops and post offices in 1998.
Towns had loads of busy pubs.
But you continue in your little inexperienced (FG supporting?)bubble.

PS I'll concede on the motorway network where it exists.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

seafoid

It is funny that the media focus is on "Yes" versus "No". It is very hard to get either as an answer to a question in Ireland. This is because there is no "yes" or "no" in Irish.
Maybe "Why would I" and "Why wouldn't I" would be closer to the vernacular.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

omaghjoe

Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2018, 05:25:29 PM
It is funny that the media focus is on "Yes" versus "No". It is very hard to get either as an answer to a question in Ireland. This is because there is no "yes" or "no" in Irish.
Maybe "Why would I" and "Why wouldn't I" would be closer to the vernacular.

Maybe Aye, Maybe Naw

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 05:20:23 PM
How is that better.
20 years ago you could get a hospital appointment pretty quickly -now unless you're at death's door you could have to wait up to 2 tears !!!!

'There is only what is and that's it. What should be is a dirty lie.'
Lenny Bruce

Rossfan

Seaf - you might back me up but is the Gaeilge version on the ballot paper pidgin Irish with its Tá and NFL?
Should it be Toilím/ NI Thoilím? ??
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

How is that better.

The poor woman.

Better standard of living, massive technological advancements and the horrors of the Catholic Church with its tentacles in all aspects of Irish life starting to fade from living memory. Our economy is fast developing a large high-value services and IT industry that is envied by many of our bigger western neighbours who still struggle with high unemployment. The church's inability to even play much of a role in this referendum speaks volumes for the positive, secular humanism that has came to dominate most younger peoples' outlooks in the last two decades.

People care about others more, at least enough to promote a more inclusive society for LGBTQ, disabled and ethnic minorities. This was barely in exsistence even twenty years ago. It may have been a grand place for a white, able-bodied straight person but please talk to just one person who doesn't conform to that norm and see if they found the Ireland of 1998 or 1988 more welcoming to them.

People are able to get divorced, marry who they like, and hopefully tomorrow will know they can get critical medical care at home too. The days when those in power could shove huge social issues under the carpet are gone. Thankfully.

BennyCake

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 06:45:54 PM
How is that better.

The poor woman.

Better standard of living, massive technological advancements and the horrors of the Catholic Church with its tentacles in all aspects of Irish life starting to fade from living memory. Our economy is fast developing a large high-value services and IT industry that is envied by many of our bigger western neighbours who still struggle with high unemployment. The church's inability to even play much of a role in this referendum speaks volumes for the positive, secular humanism that has came to dominate most younger peoples' outlooks in the last two decades. People care about others more, at least enough to promote a more inclusive society for LGBTQ, disabled and ethnic minorities. This was barely exsistence even twenty years ago. It may have been a grand place for a white, able-bodied straight person but please talk to just one person who doesn't conform to that norm and see if they found the Ireland of 1998 or 1988 more welcoming to them.

People are able to get divorced, marry who they like, and hopefully tomorrow will know they can get critical medical care at home too. The days when those in power could shove huge social issues under the carpet are gone. Thankfully.

That's great, but you never addressed any of his issues.

Syferus

Quote from: BennyCake on May 25, 2018, 07:02:58 PM
How is that better.

The poor woman.

Better standard of living, massive technological advancements and the horrors of the Catholic Church with its tentacles in all aspects of Irish life starting to fade from living memory. Our economy is fast developing a large high-value services and IT industry that is envied by many of our bigger western neighbours who still struggle with high unemployment. The church's inability to even play much of a role in this referendum speaks volumes for the positive, secular humanism that has came to dominate most younger peoples' outlooks in the last two decades. People care about others more, at least enough to promote a more inclusive society for LGBTQ, disabled and ethnic minorities. This was barely exsistence even twenty years ago. It may have been a grand place for a white, able-bodied straight person but please talk to just one person who doesn't conform to that norm and see if they found the Ireland of 1998 or 1988 more welcoming to them.

I literally answered his question.

seafoid

Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Seaf - you might back me up but is the Gaeilge version on the ballot paper pidgin Irish with its Tá and NFL?
Níl a fhios agam. Maybe Aontaim.

seafoid

How is that better.

The poor woman.

Shorter Syf. Stop whining about a council house. Haven't you got Facebook..

"The days when those in power could shove huge social issues under the carpet are gone. "

You have no idea how shit the machinery of Government is, young man.

Hardy

Definitely pidgin. The question on the paper is "An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an togra chun an Bunreacht a leasú atá sa Bhille thiosluaite? So I'd guess the answer should be Táim or Nílim.
Quote from: seafoid on May 25, 2018, 07:05:08 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on May 25, 2018, 06:01:35 PM
Níl a fhios agam. Maybe Aontaim.

Tá/Níl definitely pidgin. The question on the paper is "An bhfuil tú ag toiliú leis an togra chun an Bunreacht a leasú atá sa Bhille thiosluaite? So I'd guess the answer should be Táim or Nílim.

omaghjoe

Quote from: Syferus on May 25, 2018, 07:03:46 PM
Quote from: BennyCake on May 25, 2018, 07:02:58 PM
How is that better.

The poor woman.

I literally answered his question.

No, you said 1, 2, 3 are great. You never replied about his x, y, & z.

Are you saying the 1,2, & 3 out weigh his x, y, & z?

Or are you just saying its better for certain people?

Or perhaps you just think its better as things are going ok for you and you've read some stories about how terrible it was 20 years ago that made you feel aghast.
But in reality you don't actually really know as you don't have experience of the underbelly of either societies

And I know one you said which I contend to be incorrect and that is that people care more about others now than before.... I really don't think so