All Ireland Football Final 2017 Mayo V Dublin

Started by never kickt a ball, August 27, 2017, 07:24:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rossfan

I bet the Mayo Co Board won't be apologising to Rock unlike our crowd.
How can you stop a team playing keep ball?
Can't pass the ball backwards?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

yellowcard

CHARLIE Redmond has called on the GAA to take strong action against Lee Keegan after he appeared to throw a GPS unit at Dean Rock as he kicked the winning free in last Sunday's All-Ireland SFC final.

He also branded the reigning Footballer of the Year's action "a new low" for Gaelic football.

"For Lee Keegan to take the unit out of its brace and throw it at Dean Rock marks a new low," the double All-Ireland winner stated.

"Lee Keegan let himself down and he let Mayo down doing what he did. The GAA needs to make an example of Keegan now."

Rock's free sailed over the bar, sealing Dublin's third All-Ireland title in-a-row. But Redmond (below) was adamant that there would have been a greater outrage had the roles been reversed.

"What would have happened if it was a Dublin player who threw it at Cillian O'Connor?" he said. "Can you imagine the reaction in the media and GAA circles if it was Diarmuid Connolly?"

So Charlie Redmond reckons Keegans act of desperation is a new low? Grow up Charlie, and save us the sanctimonius bulls**t. If you want to be consistent what about the synchronised head locks/wrestling manoeuvring of some Dublin forwards following the resultant Mayo kick out. That adversely affected Mayo's ability to launch one last attack to try and tie up the match. It might be a new novel distraction method to put off the place kicker but is it any worse than what followed. It's easy to pontificate from your armchair but under the same circumstances it's perhaps understandable that players will resort to anything to put off an opponent in the last play of a gruelling season with the biggest prize at stake. If Keegan gets a 1 match ban I doubt if he'll complain too much, he gambled and lost. The Dublin players gambled and succeeeded and they will feel that it was worth it to win the match.       

heffo

Quote from: Rudi on September 20, 2017, 11:30:22 AM

For balance the way Dublin closed out the game was horrendous and needs to be looked at.

Was it any different to how Mayo started it?

Mayo forwards were holding the Dublin backs and at least two Dublin backs were thrown to the ground two handed in view of ref.

magpie seanie

If Clarke kicked the ball out the other side to a team mate no one would be on about this. This is not a new phenomenon. If Mayo were a point up they would have done the exact same.

I really didn't like Keegan's act, especially as if Rock missed the free would probably have been brought up to a far more advantageous position. People praising him for doing it are simply daft. The head was lost when he did something like that. A ban will make no difference anyway as the first few games next season are irrelevant to Mayo (just as Connolly's ban was irrelevant to Dublin this year - it actually helped them).

vallankumous

Quote from: yellowcard on September 20, 2017, 11:35:33 AM
CHARLIE Redmond has called on the GAA to take strong action against Lee Keegan after he appeared to throw a GPS unit at Dean Rock as he kicked the winning free in last Sunday's All-Ireland SFC final.

I notice Charlie doing a lot of media over the past year or two. I think he's just trying to stay relevant.

Rossfan

Sounds like the Dublin media campaign is swinging into action to
1 get Keegan and
2 switch attention away from O'Gara.

magpie seanie

I suppose it could also be said that when you get sent off you're supposed the leave the pitch!  :P

TheGreatest

If Keegan had hits Rocks foot or the ball and he missed it.............

if Connolly did it and mayo missed, the internet would close down from the meltdown.

Charlies wording not great but it should be look at, similar to throwing a hurl . .

Rossfan

Throwing a hurl is manly and hurling refs would be castigated if they did anything about it.

vallankumous

Quote from: Rossfan on September 20, 2017, 11:46:47 AM
1 get Keegan and

See here where RTE's Micil Glennon picks a negative act that didn't happen to have a go at Mayo and Colm Bolye.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0919/905955-black-card-dublin-mayo-con-ocallaghan-goal/

QuoteBut there was another black card 'incident', the invisible kind.

There was no invisible incident. You didn't see it because it didn't happen.

QuoteIn hindsight, Boyle may wish he had 'deliberately and cynically' halted the play, but, knowing it would have been the end of his All-Ireland final, he didn't do it.

Put simply, O'Callaghan scored the goal, but the black card rule facilitated it.

He even implies he's quoting someone for some reason on an event that didn't happen.

westbound

Quote from: vallankumous on September 20, 2017, 12:05:11 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on September 20, 2017, 11:46:47 AM
1 get Keegan and

See here where RTE's Micil Glennon picks a negative act that didn't happen to have a go at Mayo and Colm Bolye.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2017/0919/905955-black-card-dublin-mayo-con-ocallaghan-goal/

QuoteBut there was another black card 'incident', the invisible kind.

There was no invisible incident. You didn't see it because it didn't happen.

QuoteIn hindsight, Boyle may wish he had 'deliberately and cynically' halted the play, but, knowing it would have been the end of his All-Ireland final, he didn't do it.

Put simply, O'Callaghan scored the goal, but the black card rule facilitated it.

He even implies he's quoting someone for some reason on an event that didn't happen.

I read this yesterday. Didn't think he was having a go at mayo at all.

I took it that he was trying to prove that the black card is working.
We can agree or disagree with that point of view, but I don't see how it's having a go at mayo?
His point is that if the black card wasn't there, O'Callaghan wouldn't have been let in for this goal (i.e. he'd have been pulled down). 
I think, if he is having a go at anyone, it's at the people who speak out against the black card rule.

vallankumous

Quote from: westbound on September 20, 2017, 12:34:57 PM

I read this yesterday. Didn't think he was having a go at mayo at all.

I took it that he was trying to prove that the black card is working.
We can agree or disagree with that point of view, but I don't see how it's having a go at mayo?
His point is that if the black card wasn't there, O'Callaghan wouldn't have been let in for this goal (i.e. he'd have been pulled down). 
I think, if he is having a go at anyone, it's at the people who speak out against the black card rule.

His choice of language and use of quotes is terrible.
This argument can be made without any of that mention of Boyle.

The two players used in his example
O'Callaghan, he talks through every move in the goal as if O'Callaghan is a white knight cutting through an army of Orcs. Fair enough, he is very talented and it was a cracking goal. None of that extended description has anything to do with the black card.

Boyle is described as someone 'deliberately and cynically' wishing he had pulled O'Callaghan down only for that black card thought in the back of his mind. There's no basis for this. He refers to his made up example as an 'incident'. This is intentionally negative. He also hides these comment in quotes. I don't know who he is quoting? Are these quotes from different games entirely with different players?

He gets the point of the actual black card out of the way early in the article with

QuoteIt mattered not to CiarĂ¡n Kilkenny, who correctly judged that with seconds left on the clock, the 13 remaining Dubs could suck up whatever a tired Mayo could muster. We'll get back to that.

The actual black card gets a needless positive touch.

This is getting back to Kilkenny

QuoteThe likelihood is that Kilkenny would have done a quick risk-reward analysis and not committed the foul.
Again a positive position.

All f this is a big part of the ongoing narrative in Dublin and Kerry dominated football commentary.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2017, 11:21:30 AM
I know it's an absolute killer for Mayo but maybe the fact that they didn't leave this one behind might make it easier to get over in time.

Not sure about that now. They were 2 points up on 63 minutes and you could tell from the roar from the Mayo crowd at the game that they thought they had a great chance at that stage. They could feel the finishing line approaching. Granted there was always going to be a good bit of added time. I mean they gave everything but I'd be surprised if they didn't have a few lingering regrets after that one. Any time you put yourself in a winning position down the stretch there has to be.

Lar Naparka

I wonder if genuine Dub supporters would answer a few questions; no messing now, the questions are serious.
It seems to me that Dubs in general feel annoyed/ perplexed/ resentful or whatever that all outside County Dublin are jealous of the Dubs' success and put it down to jealousy. A classic Dubs v Culchies scenario, if ever there was one.
Seems you think all your recent successes can be put down to the sheer talent of the players, there is nothing else involved. Once the like of Brogan, Cluxton, Connolly etc. retire, thing will return to normal once more.
By and large, youse all seem to hate the northern sides with their bloody packed defences, who won't open it and play like the Dubs.
Are you with me so far?
I think the above is a fair representation of general Dublin attitudes and I'm not one bit interested in trading insults with anyone, okay?
How many of you remember the All Ireland semi against Donegal in 2011? Dublin eventually won, 0-08 to 0-06 in what was widely hailed as the most boring game of all time.
This was Colm Keys take on it in the Indo, entitled "Dublin-Donegal 2011 semi-final: The day that shook football's landscape to the core."
Anyone who is a glutton for punishment can read about it here.

According to Mickey Whelan, the Dubs coach,  ""There is no such thing as a right or wrong system. If it works and people buy into it, it can be really effective. We had our own systems."
What for it's worth, I kind of agree with Mickey that the end justifies the means. It's all about winning and a team, Dublin included, will do anything it can to win and stuff the entertainment value.
Dublin has taken a full turn around in the way they play and now Dub supporters despise the tactics used six years ago. Why do you think Dublin has made such a dramatic change to their football philosophy?
Mayo and other western counties seem to moan a lot about how far their players have to travel to train from their home and places of work/study and claim it puts them at a serious disadvantage. Do you agree or disagree?
I'm really curious here. This arises from the last post by The Hill is Blue and I wonder how many Dubs share his views.
Better still, is there a genuine Dublin viewpoint that you compete with other counties on equal terms.
Life is short and I won't respond to abuse but I know the vast majority of Dubs here and elsewhere are sound characters and they most likely have rational opinions on some or all of the above.
Nil Carborundum Illegitemi

Maroon Manc

Is there talk Rochford hasn't committed to next year?