Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lenny

Quote from: Solo_run on November 16, 2018, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: lenny on November 16, 2018, 10:36:42 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on November 16, 2018, 10:23:29 AM
When she just scraped the general election she was a deadwoman walking but managed to survive.

I can't help but wonder if her intentions at the time was to get the party to support her and see what deal could be made with the EU. If the deal was good then it would make her position safe but if it was viewed as a bad deal then she would be fighting to remain PM.

Now that she has got a deal that does not satisfy many of the brexiteers I am wondering if they want another general election so the poison chalice can be passed on to Labour. I think whatever party sees this brexit deal through will be ruined in the long run.

Labour needs to ditch Jeremy Corbyn before it can even think of winning an election. I respect him and much of what he stands for but he is unelectable as PM.

The public for years have banged on about having a politician that is honest. In comes Jeremy and all people seem to do is slate him.

My only gripe with Corbyn is that he is making too many promises I do not think he can keep.

I'm not slating him. What I am saying is that for the British public he is unelectable. The tories are in disarray and winning an election against them should be a penalty kick. Yet every opinion poll over the last number of months has the tories still out ahead by a few percentage points. Any sort of decent leader of the opposition should be ashamed of that position. He should be streets ahead of the tories at the moment in the opinion polls. Corbyn is a very decent man but he is not a leader and that is why labour should have ditched him long ago. It reminds me of when Kinnock was up against thatcher. Kinnock was a decent man too but not a leader and thatcher was deeply unpopular but she still beat him at the polls.

Solo_run

Quote from: lenny on November 16, 2018, 02:28:41 PM
Quote from: Solo_run on November 16, 2018, 10:43:35 AM
Quote from: lenny on November 16, 2018, 10:36:42 AM
Quote from: Solo_run on November 16, 2018, 10:23:29 AM
When she just scraped the general election she was a deadwoman walking but managed to survive.

I can't help but wonder if her intentions at the time was to get the party to support her and see what deal could be made with the EU. If the deal was good then it would make her position safe but if it was viewed as a bad deal then she would be fighting to remain PM.

Now that she has got a deal that does not satisfy many of the brexiteers I am wondering if they want another general election so the poison chalice can be passed on to Labour. I think whatever party sees this brexit deal through will be ruined in the long run.

Labour needs to ditch Jeremy Corbyn before it can even think of winning an election. I respect him and much of what he stands for but he is unelectable as PM.

The public for years have banged on about having a politician that is honest. In comes Jeremy and all people seem to do is slate him.

My only gripe with Corbyn is that he is making too many promises I do not think he can keep.

I'm not slating him. What I am saying is that for the British public he is unelectable. The tories are in disarray and winning an election against them should be a penalty kick. Yet every opinion poll over the last number of months has the tories still out ahead by a few percentage points. Any sort of decent leader of the opposition should be ashamed of that position. He should be streets ahead of the tories at the moment in the opinion polls. Corbyn is a very decent man but he is not a leader and that is why labour should have ditched him long ago. It reminds me of when Kinnock was up against thatcher. Kinnock was a decent man too but not a leader and thatcher was deeply unpopular but she still beat him at the polls.

Wasn't saying you were slating him directly but the general public were. But yes, I agree not a leader for politics.

imtommygunn

I think most people feel that way about corbyn. That anti semitism brush he gets tarred with really pisses me off too.

Jc i love your line that nolan lacks nuance. He has as much nuance as a bull in a china shop lol.

maddog

Starmer is the leader in waiting i think and might be more palatable to the electorate. Imagine if they had have appointed the other Miliband at the time. We might not be where we are.

johnnycool

Quote from: maddog on November 16, 2018, 02:53:08 PM
Starmer is the leader in waiting i think and might be more palatable to the electorate. Imagine if they had have appointed the other Miliband at the time. We might not be where we are.

Labour with Starmer at the helm would cruise a general election, but hard to see the way Labour elect leaders how he could unseat Jeremy unless Jeremy steps aside and he isn't inclined to do that.

Jeremy is too wishy, washy on Brexit and whilst sailing into a sitting duck in May yesterday he should have realised that what she had on the table was as close to Labours 6 targets as anyone is ever going to get.

Minder

Quote from: johnnycool on November 16, 2018, 03:02:02 PM
Quote from: maddog on November 16, 2018, 02:53:08 PM

Labour with Starmer at the helm would cruise a general election, but hard to see the way Labour elect leaders how he could unseat Jeremy unless Jeremy steps aside and he isn't inclined to do that.

Jeremy is too wishy, washy on Brexit and whilst sailing into a sitting duck in May yesterday he should have realised that what she had on the table was as close to Labours 6 targets as anyone is ever going to get.

Yeah he is opposing an agreement that represents his position, go figure
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

seafoid

I bought the Telegraph and one thing about the deal is the primacy of the GFA because the UK does not have a written constitution.
The UK can leave the EU if they want but they can't take NI with them because of the GFA.
The South gets a lot of shite, much of it deserved, from 6 county posters for past behaviour but protecting the rights of nationalists (and Huns)  in the face of an insane project is quite impressive in my view. The Southern Gov is thinking strategically for once.
Once the GFA was signed the Union was weakened but the DUP only figured it out this week.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Dougal Maguire

While Theresa Mays battling qualities are to be admired, it's a pity she didn't put them to similar use last December when the original agreement was reached. She'd be home and hosed now had she done so. UFU comments must now really be spooking the DUP. Gove lining himself for a leadership contest by showing loyalty to May thus making himself out to be a team player. That gives Boris a further boot in the nuts
Careful now

Franko

Quote from: seafoid on November 16, 2018, 04:25:47 PM
I bought the Telegraph and one thing about the deal is the primacy of the GFA because the UK does not have a written constitution.
The UK can leave the EU if they want but they can't take NI with them because of the GFA.
The South gets a lot of shite, much of it deserved, from 6 county posters for past behaviour but protecting the rights of nationalists (and Huns)  in the face of an insane project is quite impressive in my view. The Southern Gov is thinking strategically for once.
Once the GFA was signed the Union was weakened but the DUP only figured it out this week.

I do agree that their efforts have been commendable, but I don't reckon that it's the selfless act that Varadkar and the lads would like it portrayed as.  Self-interest is the only show in town here.  Brexit, (especially the 'hard' variety) would cause an increase in border security, a reduction in trade and possibly a return to some level of conflict.  Any and all of these would have a serious detrimental affect on the 26 Co economy.

HiMucker

Agree with that. From what I have seen I don't doubt that Varadkar and Coveney will stick to their guns and continue to do what is best for all of Ireland. Their performances can only be commended. From a northern nationalist perspective they would certainly be the most popular leaders from the south in a long long time.

HiMucker

Franko you beat me to it there. I'm sure there is an element of self interest, but in my opinion and having heard the men speak in a more private arena, just like what has been said of Corbyn, they come across as very decent individuals. I think history will judge them well.

screenexile

Corbyn is part of the reason the Country is in a mess. . . a load of left wing headbangers joined the Labour Party for 50p now there's no way they can force him out even though he's never going to appeal to the middle ground Labour need to win back Parliament.

Along with that he's a f**king Brexiteer so f**k him anyway. The UK is in severe bother but I actually think there is a way out of this if May sticks to her guns!!

HiMucker

Quote from: screenexile on November 16, 2018, 04:52:16 PM
Corbyn is part of the reason the Country is in a mess. . . a load of left wing headbangers joined the Labour Party for 50p now there's no way they can force him out even though he's never going to appeal to the middle ground Labour need to win back Parliament.

Along with that he's a f**king Brexiteer so f**k him anyway. The UK is in severe bother but I actually think there is a way out of this for us if May sticks to her guns!!
fixed that for you

Franko

Quote from: HiMucker on November 16, 2018, 04:49:42 PM
Franko you beat me to it there. I'm sure there is an element of self interest, but in my opinion and having heard the men speak in a more private arena, just like what has been said of Corbyn, they come a across as very decent individuals. I think history will judge them well.

Probably truth in that.  Varadkar (and probably moreso Coveney) do come across to me as level headed and decent.

Rossfan

Quote from: Franko on November 16, 2018, 04:45:15 PM

I do agree that their efforts have been commendable, but I don't reckon that it's the selfless act that Varadkar and the lads would like it portrayed as.  Self-interest is the only show in town here.  Brexit, (especially the 'hard' variety) would cause an increase in border security, a reduction in trade and possibly a return to some level of conflict.  Any and all of these would have a serious detrimental affect on the 26 Co economy.
€3.3Bn wiped off Irish stock market yesterday due to Tory shenanigans.
Imagine what will happen if a No deal unfolds.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM