Brexit.

Started by T Fearon, November 01, 2015, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trentoneill15

Quote from: heganboy on November 21, 2017, 12:27:09 AM
Quote from: trentoneill15 on November 21, 2017, 12:16:22 AM
the Europeans in Australia didn't take up Aboriginal culture.

thats right, they slaughtered them and took their land, imagine if someone invaded and that happened in Ireland.

your gaelic society? are you looking forward to seeing the occupied 6 as the bastion of Gaelic culture, separated from the rest of the island, that sounds like a likely outcome...

Gaelic culture existed in Ulster long before there was a connection with the south, our Gaelic culture isn't dependent on southern influence.

armaghniac

I voted to leave the EU as I have no connection to Europe, I don't view myself as European and I believe the ever increasing European population in my region is more harmful to our heritage than a big wall on the border would be.
At the end of the day Europeans don't integrate into our Gaelic society, they are right not to as that's the way people work, the Irish in USA didn't integrate into English American society, the Gaels in Scotland didn't become Picts and lose their Gaelic culture, the Europeans in Australia didn't take up Aboriginal culture.

Where do you think the feckin' Gaels came from?
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

omaghjoe

Bring on the border wall, far to many fitzys down there that will likely want us eating pasta and shite instead of our native gaelic potatoes

extra time

i hate garlic potatoes

NAG1

I voted to leave the EU as I have no connection to Europe, I don't view myself as European and I believe the ever increasing European population in my region is more harmful to our heritage than a big wall on the border would be.
At the end of the day Europeans don't integrate into our Gaelic society, they are right not to as that's the way people work, the Irish in USA didn't integrate into English American society, the Gaels in Scotland didn't become Picts and lose their Gaelic culture, the Europeans in Australia didn't take up Aboriginal culture.

Ive read some bullshit on this but this post is right up there with the best of it.

Hard to know where to start on it, so maybe just try to ignore it is for the best.

haveaharp

Quote from: NAG1 on November 21, 2017, 09:47:28 AM

Ive read some bullshit on this but this post is right up there with the best of it.

Hard to know where to start on it, so maybe just try to ignore it is for the best.

Ignore it by commenting on it. :o

Rossfan

Cúchulainn rides again.....
Only problem was he was from modern day Louth.
As someone said I've read some nonsense here over the years but trentoneill take the biscuit.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

AQMP

Usual dung from Arlene or is she getting a bit concerned?

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/nov/20/hmrc-bosses-have-few-plans-for-managing-northern-irish-border-after-brexit

The Democratic Unionist party has launched a scathing attack on Brussels and Dublin politicians accusing them of trying to use Northern Ireland to "blackmail" Brexit negotiators in London.

Arlene Foster, the party's leader, issued a strongly worded statement on Monday night, three days after Ireland's taoiseach warned that the country would block progress in Brexit talks unless the UK came up with proposals to avoid a hard border with Northern Ireland.

But Foster hit back, saying Brussels and Dublin were "wrecklessly (sic) trying to use Northern Ireland for their own objectives".

She acknowledged that external parties had a role in bringing peace to the region, where life was blighted by bloodshed during the 30 years of the Troubles, but said it was "downright careless" to suggest Brexit would bring a return to violence.

"The people of Northern Ireland delivered peace and stability," Foster said. "Yes, they were supported beyond these shores, but to suggest that exiting the EU will bring violence onto our streets is downright careless.

"Those in Dublin and Brussels, wrecklessly (sic) trying to use Northern Ireland for their own objectives, should cease. The prime minister should warn Brussels that Northern Ireland must not be used as blackmail."

She and her deputy Nigel Dodds will meet Theresa May on Tuesday to talk about Brexit and the restoration of power-sharing in the region, which has been without an assembly since January.

The DUP has opposed calls by Sinn Féin, Ireland and the EU for Northern Ireland to remain in the EU customs union and single market as a way of achieving an invisible border with Ireland.

The party's position could amount to another roadblock in Brexit negotiations. Its view will be of critical importance to any new Brexit proposals by May on Northern Ireland, as it is propping up the Tory minority government after striking a £1bn confidence supply deal after the general election.

Meanwhile, MPs were told on Monday that senior civil servants had few contingency plans for managing the Northern Irish border after Brexit because of a political stalemate between London and Dublin.

Mandarins questioned about preparations for the UK's borders by the public accounts committee said they could not draw up scenarios until ministers have moved forward.

Appearing before the parliamentary spending watchdog on Monday, HMRC officials were asked how they would monitor the movement of goods and services at 300 crossing points along the border.

Karen Wheeler, HMRC's director general, said: "That area is not within the scope that we have been working on in the border planning group because the arrangements on Ireland are still subject to negotiations and ministerial discussions."

Jon Thompson, HMRC's chief executive, added: "We need the process to go a bit further forward before we can fully understand it."

Meg Hillier, the committee chair, asked when they would be able to draw up different scenarios when there was such a "fuzzy plan" around the border.

Thompson said that the government wanted no additional infrastructure or a hard border in Northern Ireland, but added: "We are unable to go any further on that because of the political process."

Clare Moriarty, Defra's permanent secretary, reinforced Thompson's assessment, adding that government officials could not pre-empt any deal.

Despite British assertions that there will be no hard border, Dublin has criticised the UK's position, saying that position is hard to guarantee when the UK is leaving the customs union and the single market. Dublin also doubts a two-year transitional deal for business to adjust to Brexit is long enough.

MPs on the committee grew exasperated with what appeared to be a lack of planning from government departments for future border arrangements.

Conservative member Geoffrey Clifton-Brown asked Wheeler why her department had few additional contingency plans for delays at "roll on, roll off" ports such as Dover, when additional two-minute delays could quickly lead to 17-mile tail backs.

Wheeler said the department was working on the assumption that the UK would not be introducing that type of delay. Clifton-Brown replied that they may have to introduce additional lorry parks: "You may not be able to avoid it ... Isn't this something you need to address now?"

Sir Amyas Morse, the head of the National Audit Office, asked how long HMRC would have to rely upon such an assumption before finding the capacity to introduce contingency measures.

Wheeler replied: "I don't have an answer for how long that situation will last for because there will be a number of things that will have to happen."

Rossfan

Good oul DUPUDA still struggling with the 21st Century

AQMP

Reports this morning that the Brits have agreed to pay the EU €40 million as part of the divorce deal.  I wonder will the DUP vote in favour of that??

TabClear

The prime minister should warn Brussels that

Aye good woman Arlene, cos the British threats/warnings/pleas have got them diddly squat from Brussels so far.

armaghniac

Quote from: AQMP on November 21, 2017, 11:21:09 AM
Reports this morning that the Brits have agreed to pay the EU €40 million as part of the divorce deal.  I wonder will the DUP vote in favour of that??

I would have thought so. They may subscribe to the Brexiteer theory that it is all about money and that the EU isn't serious about the Irish border.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

screenexile

Two big European Agencies gone out of London as well . . . but David Davis said this wouldn't happen??!!

seafoid

I think areas with 2 communities with a history of bloodshed are more likely to go postal during an economic crisis. Cyprus and Lebanon blew up in the 70's.  When money is flúirseach grievances can be bought off.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Rossfan

Quote from: screenexile on November 21, 2017, 12:22:55 PM
Two big European Agencies gone out of London as well . . . but David Davis said this wouldn't happen??!!
When you're in Cloudcuckooland anything is possible.
Good to see we've hit the 200  page mark😁