The Whiskey Thread

Started by gallsman, December 08, 2014, 03:15:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jell 0 Biafra

Quote from: Tony Baloney on December 10, 2014, 09:37:07 PM
I feel like I'm missing something by not liking it. What is a decent beginners whiskey?

I was a confirmed non-whiskey drinker until about 17 years ago, when my then-roommate gave me Maker's Mark (yes, I know, a Bourbon, not a Whiskey...).   It's sweet compared to Irish or Scotch, and I loved it instantly.

Redbreast might be worth a try (but try it at a bar, as the bottle is a bit pricey).

The trick, imo, is to let the drink sit on your tongue for a good few seconds before swallowing it.  That way you get a nice tingling sensation, and the flavour settles into your taste buds.  Doing whiskey as a shot is a waste, unless you're aiming at getting drunk quickly.

johnneycool

Quote from: CD on December 09, 2014, 08:14:04 PM
Quote from: Puckoon on December 09, 2014, 07:01:48 PM
Jameson is a huge market name in America for Irish Whiskey. My local just raised the prices of Jameson due to their supplier raising it. This meant that in turn they raised the prices on all the rest, Paddy, Powers, Bushmills - as they didn't want to sell more of any of those than Jameson.

Couple hefty ice cubes and 3 or 4 fingers of Bushmills is my go-to on the Whiskey. Mostly from September through April. Don't tend to drink much of it in the summer. And if I have to answer one more time if I'm a protestant because I drink Bushmills, I might just move home!
Interesting that everyone takes it differently. For me, it has to be poured into a hot class. Ice and water would destroy it. I used to work in pubs years ago and the old lads would have it with a dribble of room temp water and a bottle of stout of the shelf.

That's the way all the auld lads in our club drank it. There was uproar when draft Guinness was brought in and no bottles were bought. The bar manager was dispatched to another local bar to buy some until he'd restocked.

CiKe

Lagavullin 16 y.o. lovely altogether...

Someone mentioned Ardbeg earlier. I like most Islay's but bought a bottle of Ardbeg Uigeadail (Jim Murray's world whisky of the year in 2009) for the father-in-law a few years back. Rocket-fuel altogether, has barely been touched. Shows what I know about whisky really.

ONeill

Ardbeg is a slow sipper. Beautiful though. Like Carol Vorderman.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Puckoon

Any Laphroaig Drinkers in the house?

Jell 0 Biafra

Love the stuff.  Very keen on the smokier scotchs.

ONeill

Quote from: Puckoon on December 11, 2014, 10:51:26 PM
Any Laphroaig Drinkers in the house?

Have been known to tackle it of a weekend.

Puckoon

I don't like it at all at all at all, but I've always wondered how you drink something as heavy/smokey as that and then back off to some of the more smooth Irish Whiskeys.

ONeill

Takes all kinds. I find the smokiness to my liking. It's like chewing an oul wooden table. Lovely.

"One of the most divisive Scotch whiskies, loved by those who enjoy its medicinal, smoky flavour and looked on in amazement by those who don't, it remains one of the most popular."

Puckoon

And at $15 a measure, thank the lord I only have one friend who drinks it!

gallsman

Highland Park 12 is a great Scotch for the slightly premium price.

weareros

Got a bottle of Laphroaig the other night on the advice of an expert Scotch drinker. Jaysus awful stuff. I had to ask myself how on earth do people pay a premium for this. I looked it up on the internet and even the distillery itself was proudly proclaiming that it tasted like a burning hospital. Actually if you took all the balls of cotton from your mouth after the dentist pulled half your teeth out and distilled it with poison tap water from Roscommon, that's what Laphroaig tastes like. Nearly put me off the drink for life. I don't care what anyone says but Irish whiskey is the nicest in the world. It's only flaw is that it's too nice.

gallsman

Quote from: weareros on December 12, 2014, 01:22:05 AM
Got a bottle of Laphroaig the other night on the advice of an expert Scotch drinker. Jaysus awful stuff. I had to ask myself how on earth do people pay a premium for this. I looked it up on the internet and even the distillery itself was proudly proclaiming that it tasted like a burning hospital. Actually if you took all the balls of cotton from your mouth after the dentist pulled half your teeth out and distilled it with poison tap water from Roscommon, that's what Laphroaig tastes like. Nearly put me off the drink for life. I don't care what anyone says but Irish whiskey is the nicest in the world. It's only flaw is that it's too nice.

The three main Islay distilleries all produce incredibly smokey ones. Different taste but I wouldn't be so quick to rule it out.

HiMucker

Gallsman credit where credit is due fantastic thread!  I have just sobered up after reading the first couple of posts a few days back!

Green spot yous say is a must try.  I will have to give it a whirl.  Had a wee dram of 12 year Red breast that I got as a present last night.  Lovely stuff.

gallsman

Quote from: HiMucker on December 12, 2014, 08:51:40 AM
Gallsman credit where credit is due fantastic thread!  I have just sobered up after reading the first couple of posts a few days back!

Green spot yous say is a must try.  I will have to give it a whirl.  Had a wee dram of 12 year Red breast that I got as a present last night.  Lovely stuff.

The Redbreast 12 is nice but the cask strength variety is one of the nicest things out there. Absolutely superb. Bit pricey for my tastes to keep a regular bottle but it's a lovely one to get/give as a present.