The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gallsman

Neil Francis proving himself once again to be a completely ignorant knob

Dinny Breen

Actually I find the insecure self-righteous GAA supporter on Twitter to be the knobs. Neil Francis wrote that article to get a response, same way that Ewan MacKenna wrote one during the week, both write for INM. By paying homage to him or MacKenna you are just giving them oxygen. Better off ignoring their ilk completely.  Swinging dick competition as to who can get the bigger reaction.
#newbridgeornowhere

screenexile

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 03:11:24 PM
Actually I find the insecure self-righteous GAA supporter on Twitter to be the knobs. Neil Francis wrote that article to get a response, same way that Ewan MacKenna wrote one during the week, both write for INM. By paying homage to him or MacKenna you are just giving them oxygen. Better off ignoring their ilk completely.  Swinging dick competition as to who can get the bigger reaction.

Be careful now Dinny you know our Ewan doesn't like being talked about on discussion boards . . .

Dinny Breen

Quote from: screenexile on March 26, 2018, 03:14:42 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 03:11:24 PM

Be careful now Dinny you know our Ewan doesn't like being talked about on discussion boards . . .

Ha! Wonder does he get the irony in that.
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

"Franno" is demonstrably wrong though. Not that the Indo editors are particularly renowned but was anyone in the building even aware that they published an article about how rugby is now the sport of the people where the final quarter of it was devoted to praising Blackrock, Belvedere and Glenstal Abbey? Laughable.

Just because someone like MacKenna is a tit doesn't mean other ones shouldn't be called out, especially when they inexplicably have a national platform to spout from.

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 03:30:25 PM
"Franno" is demonstrably wrong though. Not that the Indo editors are particularly renowned but was anyone in the building even aware that they published an article about how rugby is now the sport of the people where the final quarter of it was devoted to praising Blackrock, Belvedere and Glenstal Abbey? Laughable.

Just because someone like MacKenna is a tit doesn't mean other ones shouldn't be called out, especially when they inexplicably have a national platform to spout from.

Reverse snobbery is just as bad.
#newbridgeornowhere

gallsman

Saying he's wrong, which he patently is, isn't snobbery.

Walter Cronc

You have to laugh at the attitude of some GAA people towards rugby. What ever happened to loving both games??

Snobbery certainly exists within the GAA. A case point being the attitude towards Casement Park and the lack of respect for residents.

Step forward Jarlath Burns!

Dinny Breen

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 03:49:36 PM

No but saying he's wrong while have a dig at three schools is what exactly? To me your projecting your own snobbery towards fee paying schools.
#newbridgeornowhere

Walter Cronc

Haven't seen the article but does McKenna make reference to the number of privately educated Dublin GAA stars.

https://www.buzz.ie/gaa/long-read-dublin-gaa-danger-leaving-working-class-behind-243759

gallsman

Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 03:57:44 PM

No but saying he's wrong while have a dig at three schools is what exactly? To me your projecting your own snobbery towards fee paying schools.

Point out where I had a dig at the schools?

I made reference to the fact that, in Ireland, rugby is clearly still very much an elitist sport, regardless of how many sit down to watch the national team play one of its biggest matches of the last ten years. The developmental route to the professional game very much goes through those elite schools. When you're arguing that it's "the sport of the people" that point becomes particularly relevant.

Walter Cronc

With the GAA well.on.its way to becoming an elite spectator sport through the Super 8, following the Irish rugby might well become a more popular watch.

AZOffaly

Quote from: gallsman on March 26, 2018, 04:20:31 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on March 26, 2018, 03:57:44 PM

Point out where I had a dig at the schools?

I made reference to the fact that, in Ireland, rugby is clearly still very much an elitist sport, regardless of how many sit down to watch the national team play one of its biggest matches of the last ten years. The developmental route to the professional game very much goes through those elite schools. When you're arguing that it's "the sport of the people" that point becomes particularly relevant.

I think, in fairness, Limerick is less elite, and that's my biggest exposure by far. Of course you have the posh clubs like Garryowen, but it's relatively posh. Glenstal Abbey in Murroe (good hurling country) is fee paying, but I think St. Munchins, Crescent Comprehensive and Castletroy College all play in the Senior Cup and are not fee paying.

gallsman

Quote from: Walter Cronc on March 26, 2018, 03:53:12 PM
You have to laugh at the attitude of some GAA people towards rugby. What ever happened to loving both games??

Snobbery certainly exists within the GAA. A case point being the attitude towards Casement Park and the lack of respect for residents.

Step forward Jarlath Burns!

Of course it exists, but what's that got to do with whether Francis is right or wrong on his arguement that rugby is becoming the national sport? Lots of people, myself included, love both sports. That doesn't mean I feel some ridiculous need to make preposterous claims about rugby though.