Running

Started by ONeill, June 09, 2009, 09:11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

magpie seanie

I'll have to start back over the weekend. I've enough additional timber to build a nice sized shed.  :(

imtommygunn

No harm in blasting the odd one trueblue but it's funny that you end up running a lot slower and you end up getting a lot fast (at the beginning anyway).

laoislad

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 10:52:57 AM
Yeah I would swear by the heart rate book too. Disciplined tempo running (i.e. to within the ranges specified in that book) is very beneficial to racing. Not sure if that is in your program or not.

I would be slightly injury prone so my go to would be hills and tempo before the shorter interval stuff but it's whatever suits best. The hills and tempo before short stuff would help your base though.
What do you find are the best, long hill climbs or short sharp hill repeats ?
Just started doing hill repeats myself. Doing about 7 x 250mt repeats but the hills aren't that sharp, maybe a 3 or 4% incline.
There is a hill near me that is possibly only 80-90 meters but is probably 12-13 % or more incline.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Clov

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 22, 2019, 10:51:05 PM
Anyone recommend a good running book that covers running techniques, preparing  for races etc. Got a book that covered the basics with regards to training programs for different distances. But it's geared more towards general training rather than races and how to adapt training coming up to a race.

This website is great for all things running

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Main_Page
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

laoislad

Quote from: trueblue1234 on January 23, 2019, 10:44:22 AM
Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 10:31:37 AM
Is your water intake or food intake any different coming up to runs? I haven't really had this problem however I have heard people drinking too much water beforehand and things like that.

In terms of books trueblue there's a guy called Lydiard that I know several people who would be pretty strong runners swear by. He has a book but the reviews aren't fantastic. Reading round his training principles may be of interest though to begin with.

An example link:
http://www.runningwizard.com/lydiard-principles

(It's the basic pyramid theory where you build a base then work your way up the pyramid)

Thanks for that. Will have a look. Yeah I'm currently doing the Heart Monitoring Training for the Complete idiot and it's been good regarding building up the base and taking proper recovery and not going too hard on the recovery days. Have managed to get the mileage up significantly in the last 3 weeks. (Not that hard considering I was going from a standing start!!). But really starting to get into it now and want to see out this 12 program but would like to tailor the last couple of weeks to try and do a race to get a rough starting point.
I have that same Heart rate training book. I must have started training by HR 5 or 6 times now and can never stick with it.
I recently bought one of these  https://www.stryd.com
The concept is training by power rather than pace or HR.
It is very similar to HR training in so much as you have different zones for different types of runs ie tempo and easy runs etc.Have to say I like it and am sticking to it more than I did with HR training.  I also use it on the treadmill when running on Zwift which is great.
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Clov

Some evidence against the usefulness of tempo runs

http://fellrnr.com/wiki/Tempo_Runs
"One of the most salient features of our culture is that there is so much bullshit"

imtommygunn

Tempo runs are hugely beneficial so I wouldn't believe much of that...

Maybe at the elite end you need to be looking at lactate tolerance and stuff like that but they are very beneficial particularly starting out.

I have always found myself very responsive to them and until I started doing them I couldn't break 39 in a 10k then after 4 weeks of them I broke 38.

imtommygunn

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 02:25:42 PM

Maybe at the elite end you need to be looking at lactate tolerance and stuff like that but they are very beneficial particularly starting out.

I have always found myself very responsive to them and until I started doing them I couldn't break 39 in a 10k then after 4 weeks of them I broke 38.

trueblue1234

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 02:25:42 PM
Tempo runs are hugely beneficial so I wouldn't believe much of that...

What sort of run do you do for a tempo run? Was doing 2 mile warm up, 2 mile done at race pace and then 1-2 mile warm down.
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

imtommygunn

Four miles in the middle at max 85% heart rate.

Slower than race pace. Probably 15 or 20 seconds a mile. Race pace too quick.

mrdeeds

Quote from: imtommygunn on January 23, 2019, 10:31:37 AM
Is your water intake or food intake any different coming up to runs? I haven't really had this problem however I have heard people drinking too much water beforehand and things like that.

In terms of books trueblue there's a guy called Lydiard that I know several people who would be pretty strong runners swear by. He has a book but the reviews aren't fantastic. Reading round his training principles may be of interest though to begin with.

An example link:
http://www.runningwizard.com/lydiard-principles

(It's the basic pyramid theory where you build a base then work your way up the pyramid)

My water and food intake hasn't changed. Anyway to prevent stitching?

trueblue1234

Looking a bit of advise. Want to ditch the phone now when running but want to listen to music. I've looked at a few MP3 type things that seem a lot lighter than a Iphone and you can download to. Was potentially just looking at the Scandisk Clip jam or the AGPTEK E02. Ideally would like one that picks up radio as well.

Anyone any recommendations?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

Milltown Row2

Laura Muir's mile run there now. 4.18!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

imtommygunn

Two bronzes tonight. Great 1500 by Mageean - pity she just couldn't hold on for that silver.

English getting back to best too.

omagh_gael

Anyone doing the Omagh half marathon in three weeks? I did it last year for the first time and was really enjoyable.