Dublin v Kerry All Ireland Final 2019

Started by Hereiam, August 12, 2019, 01:27:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bogieman

I agree, the boat has sailed.

But, after a few days, most certainly a couple of weeks, she'll be ready to go again, and good sharp lessons be learnt under these circumstances...  8)

This is not Irish dancing. -RH

Armagh18

Quote from: thewobbler on September 01, 2019, 10:42:37 PM
But Mannion, Con and Fenton (in particular) had nowhere near the influence on the game that players of their ability can have.

As such you could have replaced them with any 3 Dublin subs without affecting the final Dublin performance (indeed, Dublin might actually have been stronger starting some of their veterans over those 3, based purely on today).

Clifford though scored a couple, won a series of frees and a penalty, had his marker sent off for persistent fouling, and proved an effective one-man outlet when Kerry has 14 behind the ball.

There's nobody on the Kerry bench would have come close to that contribution. O'Shea might have kicked brilliantly and Moran might have fielded brilliantly, but all that would have been in vain without Clifford.

But people want to focus on a couple of wides. I don't know why.
If it was any other forward than Clifford we'd be saying he did well but had a couple of poor wides.

macdanger2

Connolly's missed attempt was very poor, fairly central on the 45 with not massive pressure on him, you'd have put the house on him scoring

bannside

Come on Kerry, what's keeping you?? I'm very seriously waiting on the call KILLARNEY or NOWHERE.

Kildare would have done it by now, and every player and supporter would be behind it to the core.

Give me one reason why it shouldnt go to Killarney....and if the Dubs go there and win it then fair play to them, they will be deserving champs. As it stands Croke Pk is arguably worth 2 or 3 points of a start to them.

Yours sincerely,

Integrity in sport.

Rossfan

An All Ireland Final in Newbridge ::)
Better get them tablets changed.
Anyway that was an absorbing tussle and thankfully wasn't the rout I and many others expected.
Roll on the replay.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

GetOverTheBar

Neutral viewpoint

Clifford done very well after a bit of a wobble in opening 10 mins. Him and Sean O'Shea are certainly for real. Great players. Kerry will be around for awhile going forward alright.

Keane masterstroke, got all his tactics spot on you have to say. But what can he change going forward?

The Kerry penalty wasn't a penalty for me, mattered not but maybe was a contribution in the end to Coopers red card.....looked like Gough couldn't wait to get it out.....on the other hand he let Tom O'Sullivan off with something not a million miles away which would have been his red card. I'd be feeling sore if I was Cooper this morning - his prior is irrelevant, he probably had this coming but for me he was harshly done by yesterday. Aiden O'Shea would have a penalty a game if there was consistency.

Kerry keep ball in the last five was criminal, too many turn overs.....they say you have to lose one to win one, that experience of yesterday will stick to them for the rest of their footballing careers - saying that Dublin were insatiable, unbelievable fitness and effort from them.

Strange to take MDMA off at the time?

Paddy Small had a nightmare, you'll be lucky to see him in replay......Berno......would he have taken those efforts on? Gavin will surely be furious.

Connolly had his chance of glory, didn't get it but he won the ball back on the halfway line for the equaliser didn't he? The type of unstylish contribution but every bit as important.

If Rock hadn't have started his run to final free off the pitch, would that have seen him nail the final score?

Great game between two great counties - every bit the final, I have to say I was expecting Dublin to win easy.....maybe they were well on their way before the red but....great to have another game to look forward to!

Taylor

Gavin was completely outwitted with tactics and substitutions which is unusual.

Kerry will be sick today - have missed the boat for sure - not being able to win after having an extra man for 40+mins is criminal.

Dublin wont be as bad the next day.

Ref got most of the the big decisions right (should have retaken the penalty & OSullivan very lucky to stay on the pitch)

Moran, OShea, McCaffrey, Cluxton, Howard all having massive games.

Kerry playing keep ball from the 64th minute was an accident waiting to happen given how hungry the Dubs were in hunting them down

Edit to say I was very disappointed in Geaney's performance and was shocked to see him appear for the second half. Why has ODonoghue fallen so far down the pecking order after one bad game?

tyroneman

Not sure where all the Kerry hype is coming from.

Dublin were very comfortable with 15 men, holding Kerry at arms length.

Kerry struggled to even get ahead of 14 men for the best part of the second half and were still dependent on Rock missing a (albeit difficult ) free not to lose.

Add in that several Dublin players were under par, Gavin was unusually poor with his decision making and most of the Kerry team played out of their skins.....

Rossfan

If only Tyrone had got to the Final...... ::)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: marty34 on September 02, 2019, 01:01:10 AM
Quote from: screenexile on September 01, 2019, 05:56:00 PM
Quote from: marty34 on September 01, 2019, 05:48:10 PM
Yeah, I don't know how Brolly and Whelan thought the Cooper/Clifford incident was a free out to Dublin.

It was as clear as day - Clifford tried to let the ball go past him and Cooper was caught on wrong side, knew that Clifford was on a free run through the centre so he pulled his arm.  It shows him pulling his arm, clearly.

I don't know what them two lads are about - clearly out of touch.

Clifford bumped him in the back to let the ball go through... letter of the law it's probably a free out. For some bizarre reason Cooper grabbed his arm so I can see why he was sent off but it wasn't cut and dried.

Great game of football I only realised McCaffrey was 25 today what a player he's brilliant and totally destroys the strength and conditioning myth around the game if you're good enough you're big enough.

Dublin made some big errors today namely leaving Cooper on Clifford and MDMA on the field as well as some horrible decision making in the last ten.

They won't make those mistakes again though.

Kerry didn't push on when they had the chance and paid for it but they're a young team and will win All Ireland's in the next few years. Not this one though.

Was Clifford not out in front of Cooper?

I thought that too, Clifford had a step on him, used his rump to shield the ball, Cooper got caught on the wrong side going for a ball he was never going to get and grabbed the arm of Clifford to bring him down.

At half time I was taken aback by the vigour wee Joe was trying to protest that it was actually a free out rather than a yellow for Cooper.
Is he looking to get on the after dinner speakers circuit in Dublin now?

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Taylor on September 02, 2019, 10:25:07 AM
Gavin was completely outwitted with tactics and substitutions which is unusual.

Kerry will be sick today - have missed the boat for sure - not being able to win after having an extra man for 40+mins is criminal.

Dublin wont be as bad the next day.

Ref got most of the the big decisions right (should have retaken the penalty & OSullivan very lucky to stay on the pitch)

Moran, OShea, McCaffrey, Cluxton, Howard all having massive games.

Kerry playing keep ball from the 64th minute was an accident waiting to happen given how hungry the Dubs were in hunting them down

Edit to say I was very disappointed in Geaney's performance and was shocked to see him appear for the second half. Why has ODonoghue fallen so far down the pecking order after one bad game?

He is made of glass.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: tyroneman on September 02, 2019, 10:29:51 AM
Not sure where all the Kerry hype is coming from.

Dublin were very comfortable with 15 men, holding Kerry at arms length.

Kerry struggled to even get ahead of 14 men for the best part of the second half and were still dependent on Rock missing a (albeit difficult ) free not to lose.

Add in that several Dublin players were under par, Gavin was unusually poor with his decision making and most of the Kerry team played out of their skins.....

Bit of a one sided view of the game. Kerry should have been ahead with 15 on 15 and quite often in games 14 v 15 doesn't make as big a difference as is made out.

Kerry missed a serious amount of chances in the first 20 minutes when on top. I'm sure part of the reason some of the Dublin players were poor was because they were well marked/their opponents played well. A lot of new Kerry players who could well learn from yesterdays experience. I'm also not convinced Dublin's bench is as good as it once was. If I was putting money on the replay it would be Dublin to win by 5 or 6 but I'd have said the same yesterday and expect another battle in two weeks times.

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on September 02, 2019, 10:04:28 AM
Neutral viewpoint

Clifford done very well after a bit of a wobble in opening 10 mins. Him and Sean O'Shea are certainly for real. Great players. Kerry will be around for awhile going forward alright.

Keane masterstroke, got all his tactics spot on you have to say. But what can he change going forward?

The Kerry penalty wasn't a penalty for me, mattered not but maybe was a contribution in the end to Coopers red card.....looked like Gough couldn't wait to get it out.....on the other hand he let Tom O'Sullivan off with something not a million miles away which would have been his red card. I'd be feeling sore if I was Cooper this morning - his prior is irrelevant, he probably had this coming but for me he was harshly done by yesterday. Aiden O'Shea would have a penalty a game if there was consistency.

Kerry keep ball in the last five was criminal, too many turn overs.....they say you have to lose one to win one, that experience of yesterday will stick to them for the rest of their footballing careers - saying that Dublin were insatiable, unbelievable fitness and effort from them.

Strange to take MDMA off at the time?

Paddy Small had a nightmare, you'll be lucky to see him in replay......Berno......would he have taken those efforts on? Gavin will surely be furious.

Connolly had his chance of glory, didn't get it but he won the ball back on the halfway line for the equaliser didn't he? The type of unstylish contribution but every bit as important.

If Rock hadn't have started his run to final free off the pitch, would that have seen him nail the final score?

Great game between two great counties - every bit the final, I have to say I was expecting Dublin to win easy.....maybe they were well on their way before the red but....great to have another game to look forward to!
kerry needed to keep the ball, but they had their extra man in the full forward line, when they needed the extra player to carry the ball out of defence

Hound

My instant reaction was that I was very happy to get out of there with a draw. We finished on the up, but I definitely didn't want Kerry to get one more chance to win it, so was happy for Dean to take that last one on, even though it was unlikely to go over, just so long as it went dead for the draw.

I've no complaints about the ref. The penalty was a bit harsh, and it did lead to Cooper getting a yellow and red, instead of tick and yellow, but Jonny didn't help himself. Arguably Clifford fouled first on the final foul, but probably not. Impossible to know for sure how 15v14 affected the second half scoreline. I think not by much, though that's probably very much a minority view.

Perhaps Clifford got a bit more protection than Con and Mannion? Gough had a couple of opportunities to even up the penalty count when Con got manhandled just before a ball came in, and to even up the red card count with O'Sullivan, but honestly, I think he got those calls right, while many lesser refs would have jumped at the opportunity to even things up. I think he's the best ref about, and it's unfortunate he's not allowed do the replay. Please don't let it go to McQuillan.

If we'd lost by a point, it'd be Hawkeye I'd have been whinging about! At least it's the exact same for both teams, but find it hard to understand how a ball barely shaving the inside of the virtual post is not a point, when if it was a real post it would be a point every time. And not that Hawkeye is 100% accurate anyway.

Sean O'Se is some player. Very impressed.

Great game, great excitement, can't wait for the replay. McCaffrey won't get the freedom he got to carry us through next time, so there's a few lads who'll need to step up. Not that Kerry lack much in confidence anyway, but they'll now know they can beat us.

Hasn't been talked about much in the buildup, but our subs bench has continued to be very much a mixed bag this year.