Can somebody tell me if this is a GAA medal?

Started by aido002, January 15, 2013, 02:44:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aido002

Hi,  I have recently been passed a medal from a family member and been told that it's a GAA medal, but it seems a bit unusual to be a GAA medal.  The medal is from 1918 and is made from Rose Gold.  It is quite heavy for a medal of it's size (it's about an inch and a half in diameter).

On the front it says "Coyle Cup", and has a harp on it with 13 strings, and celtic banding around the outside.  On the back it says "Winners 1918 Aberdeen F.C", which would suggest it's a football medal.  When I google coyle cup etc, nothing comes up, expcept for the Ice Hockey coyle cup.

The Medal belonged to my great grand father, W Gleeson, and there is no real knowledge of him in the family.  I have tried the GAA Museum and waiting for them to come back to me, but just trying the forum to see if anyone else have ever come accross anything like this?

Cheers.

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: aido002 on January 15, 2013, 02:44:50 AM
Hi,  I have recently been passed a medal from a family member and been told that it's a GAA medal, but it seems a bit unusual to be a GAA medal.  The medal is from 1918 and is made from Rose Gold.  It is quite heavy for a medal of it's size (it's about an inch and a half in diameter).

On the front it says "Coyle Cup", and has a harp on it with 13 strings, and celtic banding around the outside.  On the back it says "Winners 1918 Aberdeen F.C", which would suggest it's a football medal.  When I google coyle cup etc, nothing comes up, expcept for the Ice Hockey coyle cup.

The Medal belonged to my great grand father, W Gleeson, and there is no real knowledge of him in the family.  I have tried the GAA Museum and waiting for them to come back to me, but just trying the forum to see if anyone else have ever come accross anything like this?

Cheers.

I don't know what it is but what I can tell you is that Aberdeen FC did not exist as a senior football cup from 1917 -1919 due to wartim shortages so maybe they played in invitational competitions around Ireland and Britain so this may have been a medal from one of those types of tournaments which you will not find on t'internet

Itchy

A quick look in google for Gaa collectors gives these two sites. Give them a call and they might be able to help you out

www.collectiblescorner.net

www.mealys.com

Might tell you what it is worth too!

rootthemout

Drici would be the man that might be able to help.