Shamrock Shore
The Dinnytron 5000
Ciarrai_thuaidh
Tippabu
Seafoid

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on January 15, 2013, 11:43:54 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 15, 2013, 10:47:41 PM
I meant what Cavan did to a much fancied Armagh team last year.

This is a huge risk. Let us not forget that the All Ireland Champions have been knocked out in the first round for the past 2 years. Having players from last year's winning side and supposedly being on the easy side of the draw means very little, it's unforgiving knockout Championship. Cavan came from nowhere recently so did Wexford, Tipp, Donegal, who's to say it won't be Monaghan this year? If we are go get a run going in Ulster we will need to be massively focused and play to our potential like we have for the past few years.

Apart from the fact that Armagh weren't at full strenght and were playing away. Home advantage is a big thing, that does mean someting, Cavan beat a highly rated down side in 2011 in Breffni. And Tipp didn't come from nowhere, they  have been wining titles since under 15, they have are excellent under age

North Longford

QuoteIt was orginally fixed for Killoe, thought Ardagh parish was close to there, obviously not by the looks of it
Indeed the parishes themselves might have a small border but definitely come fairly close to each other at one point but Killoe in particular is a very big parish and I'd say the pitches are about 15 km apart

Westside

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2013, 11:19:19 AM

This is a huge risk. Let us not forget that the All Ireland Champions have been knocked out in the first round for the past 2 years. Having players from last year's winning side and supposedly being on the easy side of the draw means very little, it's unforgiving knockout Championship. Cavan came from nowhere recently so did Wexford, Tipp, Donegal, who's to say it won't be Monaghan this year? If we are go get a run going in Ulster we will need to be massively focused and play to our potential like we have for the past few years.

Apart from the fact that Armagh weren't at full strenght and were playing away. Home advantage is a big thing, that does mean someting, Cavan beat a highly rated down side in 2011 in Breffni. And Tipp didn't come from nowhere, they  have been wining titles since under 15, they have are excellent under age

We beat Down in 2010. Tipp came from nowhere in 2010 to win the Munster U21, that's what I meant. Before that they hadn't won a minor championship since the 90's.

rodney trotter

Quote from: Westside on January 16, 2013, 04:22:22 PM
Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2013, 11:19:19 AM

We beat Down in 2010. Tipp came from nowhere in 2010 to win the Munster U21, that's what I meant. Before that they hadn't won a minor championship since the 90's.

Yeah 2010, the year before Down were in the All Ireland final. Home advantage does make a difference, and Cavan have been lucky that they have either played at home or in enniskillan which they are use to at this stage since 2010 and nowhere else.

It was only a matter of time before tipp would make the break through, they had lots of good players and teams before that.

Itchy

Quote from: rodney trotter on January 16, 2013, 04:47:25 PM
Beat Monaghan in the semi in 2010, that was the only game. The rest have been in Breffni or at enniskillan.
That was in Enniskillen I'm almost certain, I was at it.

rodney trotter

You're right Itchy it was Enniskillan, Givney got a savage point to win it. I was there don't know why i was thinking Clones. Only Breffni and Enniskillan so.

ross4life

I guess the final has been brought forward a week? Wicklow for us this weekend like ourselves they are trying to recover from the Larries lashing.
The key to success is to be consistently competitive -- if you bang on the door often it will open

Rossfan

Rumours we bet Laois in a challenge last weekend by 2 points ?
A win v the mountainy men would give us a "Shield final" the following weekend which should help Nigel and the lads in getting closer to their first 15/20.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Syferus

Last I heard it was a five point win over Laois. Tomorrow it'll be a three point Laois win.

Ciaran Caffreky has a minor injury so he's unlikely to feature against Wicklow.

LaurelEye

Quote from: North Longford on January 16, 2013, 10:40:21 AM
And when you've found killoe you better head on over to Ardgh to see the game!!!!! Half way between edgeworthstown and Longford. Will be signposted in Edgeworthstown. Pitch is just outside the village but not the edgeworthstown side. Very good pitch but not even certain if there is a stand.

https://maps.google.ie/maps?&hl=en&ll=53.669307,-7.705815&spn=0.010945,0.033023&sll=53.669006,-7.707489&sspn=0.005498,0.016512&z=16

If you're going from Edgeworthstown, take the road for Ballymahon and Athlone, and then take the right turn at the sign for Ardagh, follow the road into centre of the village, but turn left at the junction in the village and follow a road with a series of newish houses on the right-hand side (Ardagh is mercifully free of ghost estates - the fact that the chief planning officer for the county council lives there is purely coincidental). At the end of this lane, you'll come to the main Longford-Carrickboy road - you turn right and the pitch is on your right hand side a couple of hundred yards up the road.

There is a stand there now, I think. It used to be an awful spot in bad weather with absolutely no shelter and not even midges to keep you company  ;)
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 16, 2013, 08:47:16 AM
Quote from: tommysmith on January 15, 2013, 04:06:57 PM
Is Killoe the same as Ardagh as thats where i heard it was?

Yep would be hopeful of getting to another Ulster final.

Killoe is miles away from Ardagh - the pitch in Killoe is in Ennybegs which is about halfway between Longford town and Ballinalee.  For Cavan people take the main road from Granard to Longford, via Ballinalee.

The Killoe pitch is in Cloonee, Billy - on the main Ballinalee-Longford road just before Kiernan's Forge. But it's admirable that you're trying to tire them out by sending them that extra couple of miles in the wrong direction to Eanbegs when they should actually be in Ardagh  ;D
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

Billys Boots

Ah here, it's as near to Ennybegs as makes no difference - I think the club themselves call it Cullyfad.  It's a better facility than Ardagh too, though I digress.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Itchy

Can this not be put in the "how to get to Longford" thread? :)

LaurelEye

Quote from: Billys Boots on January 17, 2013, 11:47:00 AM
Ah here, it's as near to Ennybegs as makes no difference - I think the club themselves call it Cullyfad.  It's a better facility than Ardagh too, though I digress.

Jazes, Billy, Cullyfad is the old pitch - at the other end of the parish from Ennybegs. We'll have to invite you home to Longford for The Fleecing Gathering at this rate to refamiliarise you with the place.

Shamrock Shore

Why the hell is this game in feckin Ardagh?