NFL Division 2 - 2021

Started by Farrandeelin, May 12, 2021, 08:55:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MayoBuck

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 17, 2021, 01:10:56 PM
Quote from: Rossfan on June 17, 2021, 12:33:25 PM
In Counties like Cavan, Ros, Monaghan etc Gaelic football is the only serious sport.
That wouldn't be the case in all those big half jackeen commuter towns where a large proportion of the population of Meath and Kikdare live.

Number of football teams registered in 2020

Cork   1525
Dublin   1443
Meath   808
Kildare   778
Tipperary   667
Kerry   643
Mayo   627
Galway   575
Donegal   524
Louth   522
Limerick   501
Tyrone   495
Waterford   462
Wexford   418
Down   380
Cavan   379
Clare   344
Armagh   335
Antrim   319
Monaghan   314
Derry   303
Wicklow   301
Roscommon   293
Westmeath   293
Laois   281
Sligo   253
Longford   231
Kilkenny   226
Offaly   213
Fermanagh   206
Carlow   166
Leitrim   162

Number of football teams registered in 2009

Cork      1300
Dublin      918
Kerry      631
Meath      590
Tipperary      584
Galway      542
Tyrone      534
Limerick      512
Mayo      491
Kildare      483
Donegal      450
Louth      426
Wexford      419
Antrim      385
Cavan      363
Armagh      353
Down      346
Waterford      309
Clare      294
Derry      289
Kilkenny      283
Monaghan      282
Wicklow      277
Westmeath      240
Laois      238
Roscommon      215
Sligo      210
Leitrim      188
Carlow      178
Longford      172
Offaly      166
Fermanagh      152

Change in number of registered football teams

Cork   225
Dublin   525
Kerry   12
Meath   218
Tipperary   83
Galway   33
Tyrone   -39
Limerick   -11
Mayo   136
Kildare   295
Donegal   74
Louth   96
Wexford   -1
Antrim   -66
Cavan   16
Armagh   -18
Down   34
Waterford   153
Clare   50
Derry   14
Kilkenny   -57
Monaghan   32
Wicklow   24
Westmeath   53
Laois   43
Roscommon   78
Sligo   43
Leitrim   -26
Carlow   -12
Longford   59
Offaly   47
Fermanagh   54

Population in Ireland increased by about 536k over this time period.

Is that adult and underage club teams? Strange there has been such an increase in Mayo.

Rossfan

Are those football and hurling teams?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

and the mayo population has hardly changed , it may even have gone down.

thios figurealso show what wastage there has been in dublin huge amount of promotion offivers in a massively growing city and  'The greatest team of all time' and nearly 500 teams fewer .any other reason why?
other than the PIKe footbal they are now playing compare to even a few years ago
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Maroon Manc

Quote from: rosnarun on June 17, 2021, 02:12:49 PM
and the mayo population has hardly changed , it may even have gone down.

thios figurealso show what wastage there has been in dublin huge amount of promotion offivers in a massively growing city and  'The greatest team of all time' and nearly 500 teams fewer .any other reason why?
other than the PIKe footbal they are now playing compare to even a few years ago

You mean there's been an increase of 500 teams.

Captain Scarlet

I do agree that Dublin in the province is a massive downer but I still think the resources are not being put to use. There is an odd thing in Kildare where many of the big towns are simply not harnessing their populations either.

Like Leixlip and Kilcock are intermediate for example despite growing populations in the north of the county. Meanwhile the champions, Clogherinkoe, are a rural half-parish team. Now I know you can have great teams from small bases, but overall there is an issue grabbing 'blow-ins' for want of a better phrase in Kildare and Meath.

Dublin are the monster that would ruin any province if truth be told.

them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

twohands!!!

Adult and underage football teams.
No hurling in the previous figures.
[Dublin has shown similar increases in the number of hurling teams over the same time period - 637 hurling teams in 2009 to 1,141 hurling teams in 2020]

The Dublin increase hasn't really fed through to senior level yet.

173 adult football teams in 2009
201 adult football teams in 2020
An increase of 28 in the number of adult football teams versus an increase of 497 in non-adult football teams [these are underage plus U21/U20 (the change from the U21 age grade to U20 means it's not an exact like-for-like comparison, but I don't think the age grade change has any sort of significant impact in terms of the numbers]

Looking at both football and hurling Dublin has less registered teams than Cork at the moment [it's only a matter of a few years when Dublin will have more teams I'd imagine] but Dublin have more registered players in total.

This was the number of registered players for 2015

According to this Dublin had 5,365 (16%) more players than Cork in 2015.
Dublin -  39,197
Cork - 33,832

I would imagine the difference/discrepancy in the number of registered teams versus registered players is related to dual players.
It looks like a much higher percentage of Cork players would be on both hurling and football teams compared to in Dublin.
In 2020 Cork had 1313 hurling teams total versus Dublin having 1141 hurling teams.

You have a situation where Dublin have won 6 in a row, have got the lion's share of funding over the last decade and a half, have the most coaches by a mile, have the highest sponsorship, play the majority of their games at home, where most of the increases in playing numbers hasn't fed through to senior level and are the area where the population is predicted to grow the most in the next 10/20 years. You're looking at a situation where even if things go badly for Dublin they will win probably 15 out of the next 20 All-Irelands at a minimum.

Captain Obvious

Looking at those figures, over the last decade at County level

The underachievers

Cork, Kildare, Meath, Galway

The overachievers

Clare, Monaghan, Roscommon

Armagh18

Quote from: twohands!!! on June 17, 2021, 03:06:47 PM
Adult and underage football teams.
No hurling in the previous figures.
[Dublin has shown similar increases in the number of hurling teams over the same time period - 637 hurling teams in 2009 to 1,141 hurling teams in 2020]

The Dublin increase hasn't really fed through to senior level yet.

173 adult football teams in 2009
201 adult football teams in 2020
An increase of 28 in the number of adult football teams versus an increase of 497 in non-adult football teams [these are underage plus U21/U20 (the change from the U21 age grade to U20 means it's not an exact like-for-like comparison, but I don't think the age grade change has any sort of significant impact in terms of the numbers]

Looking at both football and hurling Dublin has less registered teams than Cork at the moment [it's only a matter of a few years when Dublin will have more teams I'd imagine] but Dublin have more registered players in total.

This was the number of registered players for 2015

According to this Dublin had 5,365 (16%) more players than Cork in 2015.
Dublin -  39,197
Cork - 33,832

I would imagine the difference/discrepancy in the number of registered teams versus registered players is related to dual players.
It looks like a much higher percentage of Cork players would be on both hurling and football teams compared to in Dublin.
In 2020 Cork had 1313 hurling teams total versus Dublin having 1141 hurling teams.

You have a situation where Dublin have won 6 in a row, have got the lion's share of funding over the last decade and a half, have the most coaches by a mile, have the highest sponsorship, play the majority of their games at home, where most of the increases in playing numbers hasn't fed through to senior level and are the area where the population is predicted to grow the most in the next 10/20 years. You're looking at a situation where even if things go badly for Dublin they will win probably 15 out of the next 20 All-Irelands at a minimum.
Very surprised that Armagh, Down, Antrim and Tyrone all have similar numbers. Always thought we'd be well behind tbh!

seafoid

Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 17, 2021, 02:50:11 PM
I do agree that Dublin in the province is a massive downer but I still think the resources are not being put to use. There is an odd thing in Kildare where many of the big towns are simply not harnessing their populations either.

Like Leixlip and Kilcock are intermediate for example despite growing populations in the north of the county. Meanwhile the champions, Clogherinkoe, are a rural half-parish team. Now I know you can have great teams from small bases, but overall there is an issue grabbing 'blow-ins' for want of a better phrase in Kildare and Meath.

Kildare 's population is a fraction of Dublin's. Dublin have professionalised the production of county grade footballers.
No other county, even at maximum efficiency, could compete.
The story is insane.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

twohands!!!

Quote from: MayoBuck on June 17, 2021, 01:36:05 PM

Is that adult and underage club teams? Strange there has been such an increase in Mayo.

Just had a look at the Mayo numbers - there was 2 less adult teams in 2020 (83) compared to 2009 (85)
It was all underage - 504 teams in 2020 compared to 365 team in 2009.

I'd imagine that Mayo's presence at the top table was a big factor in driving that underage growth given that the population changes in the county over that time period would would be fairly minimal.

These are Mayo's population numbers for the most recent censuses.

2006 123,839
2011 130,638
2016 130,425

An increase of 6,586 in a decade.

These are Dublin's number for the most recent censuses.

2006 1,118,716
2011 1,273,069
2016 1,345,402

An increase of 158,226 in a decade.

Armagh18

Quote from: seafoid on June 17, 2021, 04:38:43 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on June 17, 2021, 02:50:11 PM

Kildare 's population is a fraction of Dublin's. Dublin have professionalised the production of county grade footballers.
No other county, even at maximum efficiency, could compete.
The story is insane.
Mayo competed for 5 years. Kerry are competing at the minute.

rodney trotter

No Leinster U20 thread, but Bernard Flynn stepped down as Meath manager a few weeks before the Championship
https://t.co/bMI3ZE9hAO?amp=1

thejuice

Shite situation made worse by Flynn pulling this stunt. Whatever about the agreements that we're made, we're down 6 starting players through injury and suspension so I can understand why Andy wants Costello and Hickey to stay with the seniors.

However having said that we haven't a hope of winning Leinster at senior anyway so probably better off focusing on U20s. Of course Andy isn't going to admit that and Flynn is just f**king over the rest of the U20 panel in the process.

Bad enough to be having no hope at senior but it seems those in charge of the U20s can't see past their own egos to do whats best for Meath as a whole.
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016