New York accomodation

Started by oakleafer, April 26, 2007, 08:57:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakleafer

Apologies for another new york thread.

Lads and Lassies - heading to NY in a couple of weeks for a few days. I know some of the posters on here live in the vicinity, or have in the past so thought I may get some good advice.

Will be staying in Manhattan, but haven't booked anywhere yet. Anyone know any decently priced hotels? Looking online they seem savage dear.....what should I expect to pay for a basic room in a basic hotel?

Additionally, I was looking at the different neigbourhoods to see which may be the coolest to stay in - says the Lower East Side and East Village are pretty cool (actually the word Bohemian was used, but in my experience that can mean anything from homeless to prentious!), and as I've stayed round the Time Square area before I'd be keen for a change and to check out something more that the normal 'time square,central park,empire state etc'.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

neutral

Is your real name Paddy Bradley?

magickingdom

anything online is at $400 per night, if you can wait till a few days before you go you'll get it cheaper. pull up the previous nyy thread as there was apts going there. as the subway system is so good it dosent really matter where you stay...

nifan

"cool" areas would be further downtown  - soho and tribeca, the vilage (grenwich village) etc
I like the lower east side/east village myself - certainly is not pretentious.

Dunno where you would stay there thou

john mcgill

I have PMed you on a place

The Iceman

Tribeca - try the hotel continental

stayed there last summer - think it was maybe $125 per night

also do a search of past forum posts - i'm sure someone has asked this before
I will always keep myself mentally alert, physically strong and morally straight

Kevin

Try this one:

http://www.wshotel.com/

If you can find a better price with as fun a location, do let me know.

john mcgill

Where have the Sligo supporters booked into for their NY trip?  I remember a friend from Tubbercurry who stayed in the Pennsylvania last time they played there.  He had a dreadful stay, dirt bugs etc.  I have seen good offers for it since but would never stay there because of Tubber's experience.

Kevin

Pennsylvania! Good Lord. That is a serious hike. Maybe cheaper, but not too convenient. The drive out and back on Route 80 through New Jersey is long and not conducive to apres match enjoyment.

Just saw this dump on Hotels.com. I'd stay in a tent before driving to PA:

Econo Lodge Bronx

1000 Baychester Ave
Bronx, NY 10475
800-246-8357
$115 a night

Also, Paramus New Jersey and surrounding area 30-45 minutes from Gaelic Park without much traffic has hotels from $99 and up. I urge all to stay closer than PA.

5 Sams

I think they're talking about this place Kevin.

http://hotelpenn.com/

The Aristocrat Years

magpie seanie

A good few are staying in the Holiday Inn on 57th. Stayed there myself before and its grand but like all NY hotels - basic and pricey. Not staying there this time, the bro has us booked into a place he's stayed in a few times that's pretty cheap.

Kevin

Ahh, Hotel Pennsylvania...

Yes, a true dump. A shame too, because it is just across from the 'Gaelic Park Local (#1 Subway)'.

In case of a wicked downpour the evening before into the morning, see you there. Either way enjoy the outing!!!!

Johnnie99

Was booked to stay in the Hotel Pennsyllvania before and after reading the comments on various internet sites, quickly changed my booking.  Did call into it though for a beer in the bar when I visted madison sq garden for a game as it is across the road and must say the lobby is very impressive but the reports of the rooms just put me off altogether.

magpie seanie

Quotereports of the rooms just put me off altogether.

I wouldn't mind that altogether. Americans have seriously high standards and expectations when it comes to accomodation. A place they'd class as a dump would be fine for a few lads going to NY for a few days. How long do you spend in the hotel room anyway?