Connacht Senior Championship 2018

Started by Rossfan, May 02, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mayo4Sam14

Quote from: From the Bunker on June 17, 2018, 08:52:48 PM
Quote from: Mayo4Sam14 on June 17, 2018, 08:47:51 PM
The best forwards in Connacht (from Roscommon) kicked some wides today

The Best forward in the country from Galway went missing until the game was won today!

I'd say he came alive when the game was there to be won
You can forget about Sean Cavanagh as far as he's a man!

The Hill is Blue

Quote from: Manning18 on June 17, 2018, 09:05:33 PM

The Best forward in the country from Galway went missing until the game was won today!

Ah come on now. He was quiet most of the game (thought the Ros man marker, McInerney I believe, played very well, for all that Comer shouldve had a penalty), but the time he did hit his purple patch was right at the crunch stage of the game

Damien Comer still has it all to prove. At the moment he is the most overrated player in the country.
I remember Dublin City in the Rare Old Times http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T7OaDDR7i8

imtommygunn

Quote from: Manning18 on June 17, 2018, 09:00:37 PM
Galway pressing up in the second half shouldve been the gameplan to begin with. Once systems went out the window, the gulf in class was quickly evident. Flynn's really becoming a man this year and Kerin is a wonderful little corner back now. Walsh obviously was superb, and Army very lively off the bench. Don't think we'll ever have a half as bad as the first again. To endure that, be hit with two sucker punches of goals and still win by a comfortable margin in the end is positive.

Shoutout to the crowd of drunken muppets behind the goal. The type of fans that gave Roscommon fans a bad name around the turn of the century, but an element I thought was gone as ive seen nothing bad the last two years. Perhaps it was because the game was in the Hyde, as I suspect theyre the type of lads that dont make it out of the small town too often

Interesting point on once systems went out the window... I thought walsh setup galway terribly and then eventually systems did go out the window. In the games against the big boys this could really count against them. I think he may have progressed them a bit but at some point they may need a new manager to really challenge.

It wasn't roscommons wide count was the problem - it was generally they were taking on shots they shouldn't have been.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 17, 2018, 09:11:44 PM

Ah come on now. He was quiet most of the game (thought the Ros man marker, McInerney I believe, played very well, for all that Comer shouldve had a penalty), but the time he did hit his purple patch was right at the crunch stage of the game

Damien Comer still has it all to prove. At the moment he is the most overrated player in the country.

Had a quietish day as Roscommon had a sweeper stationed right in front of him along with his own marker. Still kicked 0-2 when the game was still in the balance in the long injury time period. If that's the floor level performance for him then he's doing ok.

Hound

I've always thought of Shane Walsh as a lad with great talent, but lacked composure, and possibly lacking in bottle.

But he was superb today. Hats off to him, he's an absolute joy to watch, and let's hope this is the game which is the start of him being consistently good.

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 17, 2018, 08:22:37 PM
Looked like a sizeable difference in the fitness of the 2 sides, Galway's new fitness coach has certainly had an impact.

Pace rather than fitness in my view. Ros have an awful lot of big lumbering lads, and a lot of talented footballers, but very little in the way of raw pace.

Aloysius Snuffleupagus

Roscommon very average to be honest. Won't be too many worried about drawing the rossies

galwayman

Have you been drinking?
Comer didn't have a good game today granted but you do realise that the two points he kicked in a row were when the scores were deadlocked towards the end of the game!
And you think the game was won at that stage,ya?
God help us.

Manning18

Quote from: The Hill is Blue on June 17, 2018, 09:11:44 PM

Thats absolute nonsense. This isnt some stylish hype player with a big reputation coming in from underage. Comer couldnt even make his school team in leaving cert. He's an unstylish player who nobody knew anything about who has built a reputation for himself through performing consistently well. He's already had about 5 man of the match performances in championship by age 24

PadraicHenryPearse

Quote from: Hound on June 17, 2018, 09:20:35 PM
I've always thought of Shane Walsh as a lad with great talent, but lacked composure, and possibly lacking in bottle.

But he was superb today. Hats off to him, he's an absolute joy to watch, and let's hope this is the game which is the start of him being consistently good.

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 17, 2018, 08:22:37 PM
Looked like a sizeable difference in the fitness of the 2 sides, Galway's new fitness coach has certainly had an impact.

Pace rather than fitness in my view. Ros have an awful lot of big lumbering lads, and a lot of talented footballers, but very little in the way of raw pace.

completely agree. Think we do very well for what we have.

larryin89

Walk-in down mchale rd , sun out, summers day , game day . That's all .

Orchard park

2 points from a hype player.... dhoukd have had a free not a penalty, was fouled outside , Mcinerney got the better of  the bsttle..... comer lucky not to be booked for hit on Lavin.....

Manning18

Quote from: larryin89 on June 17, 2018, 09:26:37 PM
Against who and at what stage ?

Connacht final replay in 16 and Mayo last year would be two (Sligo & Leitrim were two others). He was also Galways only good performer vs Tipp in 16 and was superb vs Dublin in the league final. That's 4 of Galways biggest games since he started playing, if your insinuation is that he doesnt do it in big games?

seafoid

Quote from: Orchard park on June 17, 2018, 09:28:57 PM

2 points from a hype player.... dhoukd have had a free not a penalty, was fouled outside , Mcinerney got the better of  the bsttle..... comer lucky not to be booked for hit on Lavin.....
McInerney did well. BeidH lá eile ag an bPaorach.
Comer's class may surface in the next match.
Last year Ros had the psychological upper hand but Galway seemed to play conistentky and seize it easily enough today. Lots to learn for Ros if they are in the mood to learn.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

Quote from: Orchard park on June 17, 2018, 09:28:57 PM

It should have been a sending off. Two strange teams, Galway could have destroyed Roscommon today if they were not so pathetic in the 1st half while if Roscommon were not so wasteful all game then they should have won. Roscommon have the ability to cause upsets but if they make the last 8 they will likely suffer a bad hammering or 2 again. Galway definitely have the ability of a top 4 team but the way they set up in the 1st half today was insane.

An Fhairche Abu

Quote from: Manning18 on June 17, 2018, 09:00:37 PM
Shoutout to the crowd of drunken muppets behind the goal. The type of fans that gave Roscommon fans a bad name around the turn of the century, but an element I thought was gone as ive seen nothing bad the last two years. Perhaps it was because the game was in the Hyde, as I suspect theyre the type of lads that dont make it out of the small town too often

No harm to the decent Rossie fans that were in my area of the terrace but them clowns were absolute apes of the highest order. I genuinely don't know have I ever heard such personalised targeting of a player at a match before, struggling to recall anything similar.