Connacht Senior Championship 2018

Started by Rossfan, May 02, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

seafoid

KW will no doubt have motivational material to remind the lads of where complacency can lead in matches against Riscommon

https://youtu.be/1q6otO_GLTY
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

Maroon Manc

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0614/970459-rossies-in-confident-mood-hosting-final-in-the-hyde/

Roscommon coach Liam McHale feels the surroundings of Dr Hyde Park will bring peace of mind and confidence to their players and give them a big chance to retain their Connacht Football Championship title.

The Rossies are in good stead after winning Division 2 and beating Leitrim in a provincial semi-final, and received clearance to play the provincial decider in their home venue.

Speaking about that decision, McHale said: "It's huge for us. We're a young team, an improving team. There was a bit of controversy and a bit of banter. We were worried it wouldn't be here.

"Two years ago we went to Salthill and got a draw. We went to Castlebar because we didn't have this lovely venue here to play in and we got beaten by nine or 10 points by Galway. For confidence levels and for ease of mind and peace of mind for the players, I think it will be massive on Sunday.

"We all know how good Galway are and the improvements they have made as well"

"The enthusiasm has been fantastic all year. We won Division 2, we were delighted with that, we didn't play really well. It seemed to be a slow burner and that's the way we wanted it to be. The last few weeks we have been really playing well. It's a very young team but they are very skilful. They are very humble and hungry and they are really looking forward to Sunday.

"We all know how good Galway are and the improvements they have made as well. We feel that here especially, and that's how important this venue is to us, that we have a really good chance of retaining our Connacht title."

Last year manager Kevin McStay and McHale were under pressure going into the Championship after a disastrous League season, but turned things around to win Connacht.

It's a different story this time round and it's one the Roscommon coach knows brings its own challenge.

"We had such a rough league campaign prior to the Connacht final last year and took some really bad beatings. Nobody gave us a chance and maybe that filtered into the brains of the Galway players.

"This year it's a different kettle of fish. Both teams will realise this is a 50-50 game and if you don't bring your 'A' game on Sunday, the chances are you are going to lose. We're building up to a big performance on Sunday and if that goes well we have a great chance. If it doesn't we'll probably be beaten because we're playing a really good side in Galway.

"Our shot selection against Galway's defence has to be very good. We can't afford to kick 11 or 12 wides"

"We have to be very solid in the middle of the field. Our midfield, half-back and half-forward line has got a fair bit of criticism over the last two years. We need be really competitive as we were in the Connacht final last year and fight for every ball.

"Our shot selection against Galway's defence has to be very good. We can't afford to kick 11 or 12 wides. Our wides have to be down to four or fives and we have to be disciplined on the defence and not give away easy frees or goals.

"I've been around a long time, I've played for a long time and I've coached in Connacht for a long time. I'm normally at ease once the work is done. I think we were okay in the league and there has been a steady progression. The confidence is building all the time."

magpie seanie

Quote from: seafoid on June 14, 2018, 12:14:00 PM
KW will no doubt have motivational material to remind the lads of where complacency can lead in matches against Riscommon

I'm not going to click on that link.

Cunny Funt

complacency? you do realize there has been little between the majority of these current Roscommon and Galway players at U21 level..

galwayman

Quote from: Cunny Funt on June 14, 2018, 01:23:55 PM

complacency? you do realize there has been little between the majority of these current Roscommon and Galway players at U21 level..
Complacency won't be an issue. If we lose it won't be down to that. Roscommon are a good team as they are all well aware.

Syferus

Quote from: galwayman on June 14, 2018, 01:34:26 PM

Complacency won't be an issue. If we lose it won't be down to that. Roscommon are a good team as they are all well aware.

Some might say they're verifiably the best team in Connacht..

An Fhairche Abu

Galway team named:

Ruairí Lavelle
Declan Kyne
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
David Wynne
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Johnny Heaney
Paul Conroy
Tom Flynn
Eamonn Brannigan
Barry McHugh
Seán Kelly
Ian Burke
Damien Comer (C)
Shane Walsh

seafoid

the only difference really was that Galway won a few of the u21 finals they played in.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on June 14, 2018, 02:00:30 PM
Galway team named:

Ruairí Lavelle
Declan Kyne
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
David Wynne
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Johnny Heaney
Paul Conroy
Tom Flynn
Eamonn Brannigan
Barry McHugh
Seán Kelly
Ian Burke
Damien Comer (C)
Shane Walsh

No Kerin is significant I feel as with Silke already missing, Galway are now without both their starting corner-backs and there's a bit of a drop off to the next two.

See he's gone with Conroy and Flynn in midfield. Seems like he still hasn't settled on the favoured combination there with Cooke and Duggan having also started games. Got some options at least.

galwayman

Quote from: GalwayBayBoy on June 14, 2018, 02:10:40 PM
Galway team named:

Ruairí Lavelle
Declan Kyne
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
David Wynne
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Johnny Heaney
Paul Conroy
Tom Flynn
Eamonn Brannigan
Barry McHugh
Seán Kelly
Ian Burke
Damien Comer (C)
Shane Walsh

No Kerin is significant I feel as with Silke already missing, Galway are now without both their starting corner-backs and there's a bit of a drop off to the next two.
If Kerin doesn't start that's a massive blow.
Both corner backs were well beaten by their men against Sligo and have a history of being under pressure when up against decent forwards.

Blowitupref

Galway team named:

Ruairí Lavelle
Declan Kyne
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
David Wynne
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Johnny Heaney
Paul Conroy
Tom Flynn
Eamonn Brannigan
Barry McHugh
Seán Kelly
Ian Burke
Damien Comer (C)
Shane Walsh

I thought Silke played wing half back last year? Wynne started the 2016 Connacht final so a more than decent replacement for Kerin if he doesn't play.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Maroon Manc

Galway team named:

Ruairí Lavelle
Declan Kyne
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
David Wynne
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Johnny Heaney
Paul Conroy
Tom Flynn
Eamonn Brannigan
Barry McHugh
Seán Kelly
Ian Burke
Damien Comer (C)
Shane Walsh

Certainly a huge loss. Flynn again gets the nod, needs a big game from him. Conroy needs a big game too, against the Dubs his shooting and kick passing was very poor and he didn't do much for the half hour he was on against Mayo; The pair of them have Duggan & Cooke breathing down their necks.

Syferus

Quote from: Maroon Manc on June 14, 2018, 02:22:29 PM
Galway team named:

Ruairí Lavelle
Declan Kyne
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh
David Wynne
Cathal Sweeney
Gareth Bradshaw
Johnny Heaney
Paul Conroy
Tom Flynn
Eamonn Brannigan
Barry McHugh
Seán Kelly
Ian Burke
Damien Comer (C)
Shane Walsh

Certainly a huge loss. Flynn again gets the nod, needs a big game from him. Conroy needs a big game too, against the Dubs his shooting and kick passing was very poor and he didn't do much for the half hour he was on against Mayo; The pair of them have Duggan & Cooke breathing down their necks.

Lads, if I'm not mistaken that's just the published team from the Sligo game, which didn't even start that game. I don't think that announced team is worth the HTML tags it was made with.

seafoid

Rossfan

We'll obviously be wasting our time turning up :o
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM