Connacht Senior Championship 2018

Started by Rossfan, May 02, 2018, 11:14:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cunny Funt

4 is a lot of changes from a win over Mayo, injuries to starters Kerin,Duggan perhaps? as Walshs teams are normally known to start as selected. Apart from Marren not a lot of experience in that Sligo forward line and McDonnell,Murphy big lads but am i right in saying they aren't natural midfielders.

An Fhairche Abu

I didn't think that the Galway team named to start against Mayo would line out as selected either but they did so it's hard to know with the Galway side.
Kerin is carrying an injury so mightn't be fit to play thus giving Wynne a shot at it, Duggan change would be a harsh on him but all the other changes from the Mayo match aren't too surprising.

mouview

Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 31, 2018, 02:19:20 PM
I didn't think that the Galway team named to start against Mayo would line out as selected either but they did so it's hard to know with the Galway side.
Kerin is carrying an injury so mightn't be fit to play thus giving Wynne a shot at it, Duggan change would be a harsh on him but all the other changes from the Mayo match aren't too surprising.

A surprisingly rather positive line-up from Kevin Walsh; Kerin must be injured, can be no other explanation. Kelly in for GOD is a big step forward, as is Ian Burke starting. Flynn shouldn't be near the team but maybe KW is breaking Duggan in gradually, probably will finish the game. HB line of course not up to the sterner tests that lie in the distance.

galwayman

Quote from: Mano on May 31, 2018, 02:03:52 PM
Quote from: An Fhairche Abu on May 31, 2018, 01:34:55 PM
Teams have been named, good few changes for Galway, Ian Burke starts.

GALWAY:
Ruairí Lavelle (Bóthar an Trá/Cnoc na Cathrach)
Declan Kyne (An Fhairche)
Seán Andy Ó Ceallaigh (Naomh Ánna)
David Wynne (Maigh Cuilinn)
Cathal Sweeney (Cill Ainnín)
Gareth Bradshaw (Maigh Cuilinn)
Seán Kelly (Maigh Cuilinn)
Paul Conroy (Naomh Séamus)
Thomas Flynn (Baile Átha'n Rí
Eamonn Brannigan (Naomh Micheál)
Shane Walsh (Cill Chloirín/Cluain Bheirne)
Johnny Heaney (Cill Ainnín)
Ian Burke (Corafinne)
Damien Comer (Anach Cuain)
Barry McHugh (An Creagán/Magh Locha

SLIGO:
Aidan Devaney (Calraigh Naomh Iósef)
Charles Harrison (Naomh Eoin)
Eoin McHugh (Gael Naomh Molaise)
Ross Donovan (Cláirsigh An Oirthear)
Neil Ewing (Droim Cliabh-Ros Ceite)
Adrian McIntyre (Tuarloistreáin)
Gerard Ó Kelly/Lynch (Naomh Mhuire)
Niall Murphy (Cuil-Irra/Leathros)
Kevin McDonnell (Caisleáin Uí Conchuir)
Paddy O'Connor (Naomh Fearnan)
Liam Gaughan (Tuarloistreáin)
Cathal Henry (Tuarloistreáin)
Kyle Cawley (Naomh Muire)
Pat Hughes (Gaobach)
Adrian Marren (Curraigh)

Does anyone believe those teams will start? MOM from last game, Duggan dropped as well as Galway's best man marker (Kerin). Sligo team will probably see a few changes also.
3 of the 4 changes make sense to me anyway - Duggan the only puzzling one. Maybe he has an injury?
Kerin has been carrying an injury so I assume that is why he's not included. He's one of the first names on the teamsheet. He came on as a sub for his club in c'ship and was taken off again after 30 mins.
Army and GOD both struggled the last day so I wouldn't be surprised at their demotions.
I thought they might move Sweeney back to the corner and play Heaney wing back though.

galwayman

Quote from: mouview on May 31, 2018, 02:26:56 PM

A surprisingly rather positive line-up from Kevin Walsh; Kerin must be injured, can be no other explanation. Kelly in for GOD is a big step forward, as is Ian Burke starting. Flynn shouldn't be near the team but maybe KW is breaking Duggan in gradually, probably will finish the game. HB line of course not up to the sterner tests that lie in the distance.
Not sure how bad his injury is but he is definitely carrying a knock of some sort.

GalwayBayBoy

Quote from: galwayman on May 31, 2018, 02:45:22 PM
Quote from: mouview on May 31, 2018, 02:26:56 PM

Not sure how bad his injury is but he is definitely carrying a knock of some sort.

I saw him at the hurling last weekend. He seemed to be moving fine but he was only walking. Not running or turning.

Duine Eile

Kerin and Duggan are injured, Kerin didn't start or finish Annaghdown's game against Tuam, came on as a sub and off again. Some kind of leg injury I think. Don't know the nature of Duggan's but I did hear he was injured. Good to see Ian Burke starting.

sligoman2

I wouldn't expect many/any changes to the sligo selection.  Coen and Cawley are injured, inexperienced but potentially very good forwards.  You never know...
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Blowitupref

Quote from: sligoman2 on May 31, 2018, 09:25:31 PM
I wouldn't expect many/any changes to the sligo selection.  Coen and Cawley are injured, inexperienced but potentially very good forwards.  You never know...
What are the bench options for Sligo is it mostly young and inexperienced players like Cian Breheny, Sean Carrabine and Darragh Cummins?
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on May 31, 2018, 10:14:50 PM
What are the bench options for Sligo is it mostly young and inexperienced players like Cian Breheny, Sean Carrabine and Darragh Cummins?

How is Cian Breheny inexperienced?

Blowitupref

Quote from: Syferus on May 31, 2018, 11:15:08 PM

Early 20s and long way to go to reach the level of experience his uncle had.
Is the ref going to finally blow his whistle?... No, he's going to blow his nose

Syferus

Quote from: Blowitupref on June 01, 2018, 01:00:44 AM

..he's in his fourth senior IC season starting?

sligoman2

I would expect  cian to come in at an early stage if any forwards or midfielders are struggling, might come in at midfield with Murphy moving to forwards at some point.  I would also expect.  Carabine to see a lot of time in the game.
I used to be indecisive but now I'm not too sure.

Maroon Manc

Quote from: Duine Eile on May 31, 2018, 05:07:12 PM
Kerin and Duggan are injured, Kerin didn't start or finish Annaghdown's game against Tuam, came on as a sub and off again. Some kind of leg injury I think. Don't know the nature of Duggan's but I did hear he was injured. Good to see Ian Burke starting.

Doesn't sound like Kerin's injury is too serious but can't imagine Kevin Walsh will be too impressed with him coming on and off injured the last day.

I see Kerin is based in Dublin along with Burke & Duane and been training by Divily on Tuesday nights in UCD.

SLIGONIAN

Quote from: Syferus on June 01, 2018, 01:36:57 AM
Quote from: Blowitupref on June 01, 2018, 01:00:44 AM

..he's in his fourth senior IC season starting?
He has only been fully fit for 1 of them, haven't come close to seen him at his best, he's never really had a sustained run since the injury, needs to be injury free and getting plenty of game-time before you could experienced
"hard work will always beat talent if talent doesn't work"