Boxing Thread

Started by bennydorano, November 04, 2007, 09:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Atticus_Finch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yj7bRSz9fSA

Anyone watch the Williams vs Cintron fight ??

One of the most bizarre ends to a fight i have ever seen ... the good people on HBO have taken away any of the official footage from youtube .. the link i've pasted at the top is the best footage i can find on you tube.

Fight ended in the fourth round with Cintron falling out of the ring (jumped or tripped? I'll let you decide) he was then injured, carried off on a stretcher with doctors saying he couldn't continue.

Under normal rules (ABC) the fight would be called a no decision as the fight didn't go four rounds .. promoters issued these rules before the fight ... then all of a sudden they said (when it was clear that Cintron wasn't going to return to the ring) under californian rules the fight could be called because it had gone 3 rounds ???

Seemed like the people behind the scenes felt they needed to have a winner and decided to use Californian rules (when promoters had issued rules contrary to the californian rules prior to the fight) because it suited them.

There'll be  a lot of criticism not only of the decision but also the way the ring was constructed, ropes are supposed to be tied together, that ring looked like it had a bit of paper around it which was suppose to keep the ropes together  ::)

Williams is said to have been one of the most avoided fighters over the past couple of years ... that fight will have done nothing to make him appeal to the big fighters (been quite a bit of talk about him and Mayweather) ... poor fight that ended under controversial circumstances and judging by the crowd i saw on tv, lots of empty seats,  Williams still doesn't appear to be the sort of draw that will get him the big fights
"The one thing that doesn't abide by majority rule is a person's conscience."

maximus

Looked like he took a jump. What injury did he sustain which prevented him to return to the ring? Didn't look like he could have done much damage.

Atticus_Finch

He was stretchered off into an ambulance in a neck brace ... wasn't clear at the time what injury he sustained ... commentators were talking about a possible dislocated shoulder ... i think it was a case that he was seen to have hit his head and should be brought to hospital to get checked out.  i didn't think it was all that serious myself but some people think his future career could be in doubt:

http://www.eastsideboxing.com/news.php?p=23795&more=1

Geoff Tipps

That looked v dodgy. He dived through the ropes. Drogba would have been proud of that one  :)

nrico2006

'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

Just saw this,  very interesting indeed.  I think it's Pacquiao's move to try and get the upper hand in making the fight happen on his terms.

If he says it's his last fight then the public demand for it to be against Mayweather will be huge.  That pressure will then feed down on to Mayweather's people to set aside their demand for drugs testing.

I think the fight has to happen both camps have strong motivations to make it happen.

Mayweather if push came to shove would set aside the drug testing demands due to the $ he could make from the fight

Pacquiao, already a national hero, would be a god like figure if he beat Mayweather and became the undisputed P4P fighter of his generation.

Combine those two motivations i think the fight has to happen, only question is when ... if that article is anything to go by then it looks like it could be November.  Here's hoping ....

heganboy

any thoughts on whether the cotto foreman fight would be worth going to? I have an option on tickets but they are pricey
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity

DirtyDozen12

Quote from: heganboy on May 12, 2010, 02:40:44 PM
any thoughts on whether the cotto foreman fight would be worth going to? I have an option on tickets but they are pricey

Cotto is pretty top class like and has been in with a lot of good fighters, would definately go see him if I had the chance.  All i really know about Foreman is that he is from isreal and think he is Isreals first world boxing champion (i think)
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

Atticus_Finch

The time to see Cotto was prior to his fight with Margarito.  He's never been the same since.  But in fairness who would be the same after having to fight a guy that had the advantage of having some cement in his gloves !

Still worthwhile all the same,  fight's in the Yankee stadium isn't it ?  That would be an interesting venue for a fight.

Would be interesting to see how Foreman gets on against Cotto, he's by far the biggest name he's ever faced.

If you don't mind me asking how much would tickets set you back ?

Determined to be there for the Mayweather vs Pacquaio shindig if the fight is made, i'd say the ticket prices will be astronomical

JimStynes

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 12, 2010, 06:39:44 PM

The time to see Cotto was prior to his fight with Margarito.  He's never been the same since.  But in fairness who would be the same after having to fight a guy that had the advantage of having some cement in his gloves !

Still worthwhile all the same,  fight's in the Yankee stadium isn't it ?  That would be an interesting venue for a fight.

Would be interesting to see how Foreman gets on against Cotto, he's by far the biggest name he's ever faced.

If you don't mind me asking how much would tickets set you back ?

Determined to be there for the Mayweather vs Pacquaio shindig if the fight is made, i'd say the ticket prices will be astronomical

Did i read that Mayweather fight would be in Texas and not Las Vegas?

nrico2006

Big talk about Paquaio and Mayweather being held in The Cowboys Stadium if it were to happen.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Atticus_Finch

I can't see the fight being in the Dallas for a number of reasons.  Before negotiations broke down last time over the drugs testing - the venue of Dallas was a non starter for a number of reasons main one being that both fighters prefer vegas.

Perhaps if all the money in the world is thrown at them and Jerry Jones gave them the stadium for free it could happen but otherwise i can't see it.

If it was in Vegas then it would generate more hype due to tickets being so scarce and you imagine that can only boost the PPV figures.  No matter what, if the fight is made i'd say all previous PPV figures would be smashed.

There's a few interesting fights this weekend:

Khan vs Malignaggi - most people would see Khan winning this on points.  Wouldn't be surprised to see that happen but think there is a real chance Malignaggi could cause an upset.  Khan's had visa complications and had to set up camp in canada, his preparations have been far from ideal.  Couple this with Khan possibly not acclimatising to his Madison Square Garden surroundings too well, then i think there is a serious prospect of an upset. Malignaggi can take some serious punishment and see out a fight, just like he did against Cotto.  Even when Ricky Hatton stopped him that was only because his corner threw in the towel after they he felt he wasn't acting on instructions he could have seen out that fight easily.  He's used to wars and has supposedly been looking well in his last few fights, for me Malignaggi is good value to win on points at 6/1.  And i might even stick a couple of quid at 50/1, that he will stop Khan between rounds 10-12  ;D.  When reading this, please also bear in mind that i really dislike Khan.

Mitchell vs Katsidis - I can see Mitchell taking this in front of his home East End ground, watch out for Gary Hobbs, Phil Mitchell (Kevin's Uncle  ;) ) and Minty at ringside.  If Mitchell avoids a slugfest he should take it comfortably on points with possibility of a late stoppage.

Rav67

Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 15, 2010, 11:18:38 AM
Khan vs Malignaggi - most people would see Khan winning this on points.  Wouldn't be surprised to see that happen but think there is a real chance Malignaggi could cause an upset.  Khan's had visa complications and had to set up camp in canada, his preparations have been far from ideal.  Couple this with Khan possibly not acclimatising to his Madison Square Garden surroundings too well, then i think there is a serious prospect of an upset. Malignaggi can take some serious punishment and see out a fight, just like he did against Cotto.  Even when Ricky Hatton stopped him that was only because his corner threw in the towel after they he felt he wasn't acting on instructions he could have seen out that fight easily.  He's used to wars and has supposedly been looking well in his last few fights, for me Malignaggi is good value to win on points at 6/1.  And i might even stick a couple of quid at 50/1, that he will stop Khan between rounds 10-12  ;D.  When reading this, please also bear in mind that i really dislike Khan.

Can't agree with you here AF.  Malignaggi is made for Khan, which is obviously why they've hand picked him -he's a name who will sell a few tickets, he's gutsy and durable but he can't punch.  Can't see anything other than Khan on points- I have a few £ on this, odds only 5/4 but still decent value IMO -should be more like evens.

Hope Mitchell and Khan both win to set up a fight between them.  Mitchell's been slagging Khan off in the press already for fighting men who won't test his chin..

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Rav67 on May 15, 2010, 03:18:39 PM
Quote from: Atticus_Finch on May 15, 2010, 11:18:38 AM

Can't agree with you here AF.  Malignaggi is made for Khan, which is obviously why they've hand picked him -he's a name who will sell a few tickets, he's gutsy and durable but he can't punch.  Can't see anything other than Khan on points- I have a few £ on this, odds only 5/4 but still decent value IMO -should be more like evens.

Hope Mitchell and Khan both win to set up a fight between them.  Mitchell's been slagging Khan off in the press already for fighting men who won't test his chin..

To be fair to Finchey I think hes only pointing out good value rather than the likely outcome. Id agree with Finchey 50/1 for a late stoppage is good value. I think Khan will win on points or late stoppage but the value is there for malignaggi given he does have ability and heart and this is another step up for khan, who has been fed some real weak opposition in his career so far.

That boy salita was shite, kotelnik was pretty limited, barrera was done. Malignaggi is easily the best fighter khan will have faced and has skills khan wont have had to deal with yet.

Theres a slight chance Malignaggi could pull him into a real battle (as he has in his last 2 fights), 6/1 is worth a wee punt.

If Khan puts this man away in style he'll be lined up for real world class opponents, personally i think his chin will come back to haunt him when he fights the creme de la creme in and above his weight division
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

CiKe

Khan's chin will be found out further down the road but not by Malignaggi who is powder puncher. He is durable, but I think Khan's power has come on a lot and he can get him out of there in 8-9 rounds if he really goes for it.

Salita wasn't bad, I expected him to give Khan a good fight, just a case of getting caught completely cold as happened Khan himself with Prescott. At 140lb I'd like to see Khan in with Bradley who I think would handle him reasonably comfortably. Is a fight that I don't think they would be afraid to take as Bradley isn't a puncher, but would be a definite step up.

More likely is an easy subsequent defense before possibly taking on winner of Katsidis / Mitchell?